E46 BMW 325i or W203 Merc C230K

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
safri said:
how old is this potential lady owner?? if she's not the type of who drives fast,,,go for the merc...

Still ok and enjoys driving with good music. Yeh, the E90 and Audi A4 is definately out. So now clear the unknown, if not stay put.

Hi guys..i'm new for this forum..

Can anyone advise where to find good BMW workshop in
JB other than M-Technic

Thanks

325i is definitely my choice.. Mercs somehow has the reputation of being more reliable.. BUt our UDMs are definitely up to par.. Only a few niggles such as the water tank etc.. But in the end, i am still happier behind the wheel of a Bimmer.. Definitely sportier and sexier.. Voltan, i agree with u with regards to the lousy service at AB.. Seems like they r doing us a HUGE favour.. dunno what is their problem..

voltan said:
You were treated like 3rd class non paying cheepos way after paying owners of older cars and even old bangers.

You could even read it in the eyes of the mechanics and service advisors.

Wow...that would royally suck!! :eek:

I have no problems here as far...people rarely do works on their out of warranty cars at the dealership so pretty much people going in are all 'cheepos' like me LOL

Actually, scheduled maintenance works are reimburseable by BMW AG. In fact, this and warranty works is the bulk of the Service dept revenues because they tend to charge BMW AG the book rates and tend to discount prices of out-of-warranty works. I am pretty sure BMW AB works on the same principle as other countries have the same set-up. Over here in the US, there is a follow-up survey that is done over the phone, some time after the service. Its important for them to get all 5s (maximum score) as this is tied in with bonuses and extra compensation, so usually they try to be nice to you whenever they can or whenever you remind them of the survey :D

Your experience just tells me that your dealer has service personnel with really f*cked up attitudes/personalities :p

wirelessjunkie said:
Try one of those new 1.8l supercharged engines, they are surprisingly interesting to push

Its true, they are quite peppy, I like the pull...but engine note is coarse, and the exhaust note is flat and there is some discernable supercharger whine. Actually, the new 2.5 V6 that replaces the 1.8 kompressor in the US feels slower and more inept than the blown 1.8 4cyl....and I suppose the handling is better due to lighter weight. But what didn't add up is the prospect of paying so much money for a 1.8 4cyl...

U tried the old 2.0l or the 1.8l units? The 1.8l's quite smooth through the rev range inlike the older 2.0s and 2.3s

wirelessjunkie said:
U tried the old 2.0l or the 1.8l units? The 1.8l's quite smooth through the rev range inlike the older 2.0s and 2.3s

I tried the 189hp tune 1.8 DOHC Kompressor (I don't know the engine code, not an MB fan). Its a more flexible engine than the old 2.3 supercharged block. They replaced the 1.8 with a 2.5 DOHC V6 (basically a downsized version of the awesome 3.5 DOHC 24valve V6) with 201hp. I must say the engine is better as a 3.5 as in an SLK350 and ML350 I extensively drove/tested. I felt the engine, in 2.5 guise its a bit weak on the mid to high end and the 7G gets a bit busy catching up. The 3.0l N52 and Step combo is a far more optimal combo. Actually, the 1.8 C230 gets off the line faster than the 2.5 6cyl C230.

voltan said:
Still ok and enjoys driving with good music. Yeh, the E90 and Audi A4 is definately out. So now clear the unknown, if not stay put.

then go for the merc la...end of story.

Have you tried a Brabus Smart 4/2? Save a bubdle and just get one of those. It's a different drive from the standard 4/2s

Hi KL2DC,

In so far as handling and performance I fully agree with your observation. Bro Safri is getting anxious for a decision, but we have not got our answers on the reliability aspect of the W203 in the 230K guise.

When it come to maximum effort driving, we feel the E46 has an edge. The M54B25 2.5L cast iron block BMW is stong and reliable, which with the right lubricant will take us beyond 300K km without problem. Being Beemer persons since mid '80s we feel we know all that are needed about the E46 325.

It's the local CKD W203 that is quite grey. If our neighbour's pre face lift C200K is to be a guide, then the MB is a non starter. His engine sound is outright rough and clanky. I think it is so when the supercharger kicks in.

Anyway please don't feel troubled on our account. For at worst we'll enjoy the E46 till all things are clearer.

Thanks

KL2DC said:
I tried the 189hp tune 1.8 DOHC Kompressor (I don't know the engine code, not an MB fan). Its a more flexible engine than the old 2.3 supercharged block. They replaced the 1.8 with a 2.5 DOHC V6 (basically a downsized version of the awesome 3.5 DOHC 24valve V6) with 201hp. I must say the engine is better as a 3.5 as in an SLK350 and ML350 I extensively drove/tested. I felt the engine, in 2.5 guise its a bit weak on the mid to high end and the 7G gets a bit busy catching up. The 3.0l N52 and Step combo is a far more optimal combo. Actually, the 1.8 C230 gets off the line faster than the 2.5 6cyl C230.

Your lady sounds like a true BM-er, going from E30 to E36 to E46. Like your shoes and watch, a car says a lot about who you are. She should stay a BM-er :)

If you're still considering the W203, keep in mind that it's in its last model year and the W204 will be launched in about a year's time. That promises to be a more sporting iteration of the C-class, probably to give a stonger challenge to the 3, which on the other hand seems to be heading more towards the luxury end. I think it would be disappointing to get a new or new-ish W203 and then find it becomes an older model a year later. Unlike 3s where even the e30 continues to look sexy and desirable, especially with mods, an older model MB looks just that....old.

Schwepps said:
Your lady sounds like a true BM-er, going from E30 to E36 to E46. Like your shoes and watch, a car says a lot about who you are. She should stay a BM-er :)

Right on Schwepps, she is. Her long love was the E30 but the shortest was the E36. We actually kept both. Released the E36 for the current E46, but the E30 was maintained in the inventory until quite lately. It wasn't moving enough for its own good, so grudgingly released it.

Your advice on the W203 vis a vis the W204 is highly appreciated. Appearance and style is one thing, but reliability is her main concern. Especially after having moved up the reliabilty ladder from E30-E36-E46.

Both cars are sound and proven. Reliability then becomes a question of maintenance and a bit of luck. But style is something that makes life worthwhile, and if your lady is 3-series all the way, then you're a lucky fellow! Why you wanna throw that away? :-D

My first BM was a used 2002 when I started working. Woa....the most fun years of my life! Then, a few Jap cars when I got married, a Volvo when the kids started appearing. Then got an E36 to bring back some spice. Fun, fun, fun again! Then settled into mid-life suburban conformity with the obligatory family saloon and SUV, currently an E-Class and XC90. Ho hum indeed!

Now I'm lusting for an E90. The kids are grown up, time for some fun again! The 3 has matured with me and I don't think a late 40's guy like me will look out of place in an E90, not when I still prefer R&B and rap out of the stereo.

Go for style man! Life is short, so keep it sweet :)

Schwepps said:
Both cars are sound and proven. Reliability then becomes a question of maintenance and a bit of luck. But style is something that makes life worthwhile, and if your lady is 3-series all the way, then you're a lucky fellow! Why you wanna throw that away? :-D

My first BM was a used 2002 when I started working. Woa....the most fun years of my life! Then, a few Jap cars when I got married, a Volvo when the kids started appearing. Then got an E36 to bring back some spice. Fun, fun, fun again! Then settled into mid-life suburban conformity with the obligatory family saloon and SUV, currently an E-Class and XC90. Ho hum indeed!

Now I'm lusting for an E90. The kids are grown up, time for some fun again! The 3 has matured with me and I don't think a late 40's guy like me will look out of place in an E90, not when I still prefer R&B and rap out of the stereo.

Go for style man! Life is short, so keep it sweet :)

I like you..:)

voltan said:
Hi KL2DC,

When it come to maximum effort driving, we feel the E46 has an edge. The M54B25 2.5L cast iron block BMW is stong and reliable, which with the right lubricant will take us beyond 300K km without problem. Being Beemer persons since mid '80s we feel we know all that are needed about the E46 325.

The M54 is a aluminium block btw, and while the M54 is rock solid, the gearbox, cooling system, powersteering, power windows, A/C compressor, alternator and suspension bushes are the weak links.

While the E46 is a good car, I'll take the Merc. I test drove it with some of the BCM guys and it was sweet. Much nicer interior and has a lot of class compared to the E46 IMHO.

Only thing is that the tranny takes longer to shift on manual mode and brakes (despite the pretty cross drilled rotors) are worse compared to the E46 325i. Engine note and smoothness is great for a 4 banger.

One thing I have noticed, is a lot of carbonization on the tailpipes of the 230K (1.8 ltr). Not sure if the engine is tuned to run rich from the factory or there is significant oil burn. Also early batches of the 203 have issues of melting electrical wiring throughout the car, which needs changing every 3-4 years or so in Malaysia. Cost is ~Rm5k each time

Gosh, my views would mirror E46F's. I think the C is better value for money esp with the avantgarde specs. It feels much more solid and I think the C230K's interior is a lot more classy than the E46 which is looking dated. The E90's interior looks pretty bland. In terms of performance, the C230K is no potato. It can breathe down an E46 325i easily. BUT... I think the E46's brakes are better too and on the twisty bits, there's this thing about E46s which makes it top the class and I'm glad the E90 does it even better. Perhaps, the new C next year can do a better ketchup game with BMW in this area?... I rather wait and find out. If I were to choose on the noose, I would put my money down on the %$$*@%@$$@$#!#...

helloo have u all registered for AD...its just 2 weeks away

Top Bottom