E46 325i vs E46 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

napee

Club Guest
hi all,i've been reading the threads here for quite some time. i've seen a few 318i vs 325i discussion and the verdict is always towards the 6-potter. but for me the 318 is never considered, especially after people here also mentioned that it is underpowered, but to what extent i'm not sure. so i'm thinking of a 6-potter, used of course (cannot afford new :( ). i'm looking at '01 325i vs '00 328ithese are what i've gathered:(area): (325i) vs (328i)price: circa RM130k vs circa RM120kroad tax: RM850+ vs 1600+on paper power: 190 hp vs 193 hpon paper torque: 245 Nm vs 275 NMengine type: M54 vs M52my questions:1. real world power: is the power advantage of 328i is really noticable over 325i? from autocar review, they said it is noticable with the 325i less willing to go to higher rev? is this true?2. fuel consumption: is there a lot of difference between the two? considering both are stock of course3. engine parts availability: the 328i easier to find since the same engine also used in E36 328i. no?4. reliability: 325i would be better since a year younger? by how much?5. interior: 325i nicer since its newer? no? much difference expected?practically i'm trying to see if the higher maintenance cost for the 328i is justifiable or not.my driving profile: - i drive kinda fast, easily above average- but not with heavy right foot. prefers to drive with torque rather than outright horsepower. currently my manual waja suits me quite well since torque peaks at 2750 rpm. - always attack corners but maintains moderate cruising speed on the straights- sometimes do 'thrash' sessions when with friends :p

325 is better for fuel economy and also when it comes to resale in a few years time, the 325i with rm900 roadtax will be easier to sell than a 328i where the roadtax is RM1600.......

torque wise, the 328 is far superior to the 325........ the acceleration is much more punchy..........

other areas...minimal differences.....

The 325i's drive-by-wire throttle can make it seem as perky as a 328i (which has a normal throttle).

On paper, if you look at the E46 325i and 328i brochures, you will note that the 328i is only about 0.2 secs faster than the 325i in most of the acceleration figures.

between the two, i would go for 325...but if you throw in 330, it's a different story bro...

both also good. Toss a coin and decide. I did that so i kena the 328i.

well depends if you are going to mod the engine for more power.
if yes, then the larger cubic engine will give you better results.

i test drive both before deciding between the 325 and the 328... personally i liked the 328 better.. but for money's worth its 325, and its easier to sell off too (if you're not planning to keep it beyond x number of years)

At the end? I bought a 323Ci (2.5).. hehe

well bro napee..
it all depends on what you really want from d car...if u want power and comfort i guess 325i should do the trick...if u want superpower and supercomfort then u go for 328i...but to me i guess 325i is a better car...COZ:-
1. easy to sell next time...
2. roadtax affordable...
3. fuel reasonable...

well anyway for me 320i 2.2 double vanos is enuff i guess..hehehe..lagi 2 tahun tukar 330Ci.....:D :D :D

1) 328 has the punch
2) 328 consume average 0.22-0.24 cents per km with mix city, kesas, hard and soft driving
3) Parts availability is the same (correct me if i am wrong)
4) Any 5 years and older needs some fixing here and there. RM4000++ to fix/change parts on the engine alone for mine at least.
5) 328 has wood trim other than that is the same (correct me if i am wrong)

I have 328 and i can only comment on the 328 side. I think cost of maintenance would be the same so the only difference is the road tax but another RM60 a month and you get a more powerful car. I would say worth every cents.

tamade7, my 328i consume 0.3 cents per km. How come so big different.

Secondly, after you fix/change your 328 with 4000++, do you feel like a new one or much more better ? Or just fixing some problems?

thirdly, 328 wood trim located where ?

thank you.

Bro dumeort maybe you have a heavy right foot or you have leakage on some of those hoses in the engine. I remember tkew has similar prob. His 320 would not go further than 400km per full tank and after changing some hoses (i dont remember which hoses he had changed) he is getting 500++ per full tank. I bought the car used and right after taking delivery I straight away have my mechanic change whatever is necessary (you can checkout the e46 maintenance thread on the stuff that i changed) so i dont know the difference before and after. No problem with the car the RM4000++ was for preventive maintenance. If i am not mistaken all 328's has wood trim e.g. the door panel, the gear knob and the dashboard.

can I blame the 18' rim ? or It definately will get much better if I change some hoses. Must ask tkew then. How to pm him ?

now it seems the 325 is not really a much worse option compared to the 328.

thx guys for all the opinions and info. keep 'em coming. ;)

hehe...it is good to hear from your mr. napee... heheh...
Go for 325i... that's my aim as well ...
i'm almost there but.. next time.... for sure ! ..

NEED ADVICE :

E36 325 auto Fuel Consumtion. ?? l /100km or RM120 for ???KM urban and highway

Thanks

Top Bottom