E46 325i. 5K maintenance per year enuff?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Just to share my experience, got my 2004 E46 325i in Dec 2012, when I got it, the car was in good condition with 2-3 minor things to repair. I used that excuse to lower down the price.
Up until now I spent almost 7k, for service, preventive maintenance, suspension and tire change.
I would say not bad la.

Expect initial repair cost to be high, but after that should be more manageable.

Strider74;843504 said:
Just to share my experience, got my 2004 E46 325i in Dec 2012, when I got it, the car was in good condition with 2-3 minor things to repair. I used that excuse to lower down the price.
Up until now I spent almost 7k, for service, preventive maintenance, suspension and tire change.
I would say not bad la.

Expect initial repair cost to be high, but after that should be more manageable.

You got a well maintain e46 ; )

from Jan 2012 up until today, I've spent about 12k for stuff Strider74 mentioned... which included a gearbox change that was a major 5k pinch that bruised my bank account which money i thought could used for mods. after awhile, you might give up thinking of modding but just want the car to run fine hahaha. I'm not scaring you but my gf recently said i'm spending more money on the car than on her.

I have been driving mine for more then 3 years. The only major repair I had done was overhaul the GB which cost me about 9k. Other then that are small and minor things which sometimes add up could cost 1-2K per visit to workshop. As said, my ride now is in workshop, changing the battery and starter....which cost be close to 1k. Regular maintenance of oil change is only a couple of hundred bucks and that is only done every 5k km drive or 6 months whichever comes first.

Just like the rest of the guys have mentioned, the initial stage (especially the 1st year) will cost more as most will be spent on preventive basis....when I had mine back in 2009, I spent about 10k-12K in the first year and after which, quite less....I believe on average 5k a year after the initial stage should be sufficient under normal circumstances (based on my own experience)....all the best

initialM;849103 said:
Spare at least 20k

I totally agree on the RM 20K - as for me the RM 20K was not enough becoz i went to the wrong mechanic which spoilt my engine !

- - - Updated - - -

initialM;849103 said:
Spare at least 20k

I totally agree on the RM 20K - as for me the RM 20K was not enough becoz i went to the wrong mechanic which spoilt my engine !

my current ride is a 320d; manufact. year 2010..
- RM32,400/yr for loan payment
- RM7,189.07/yr for plan maintenance
- RM377.50/yr for road tax
- RM3,859.65/yr for insurance
- RM43,826.22/yr TOTAL:bird::driver:

note: i diy all my plan maintenance

My average mileage is 40k/yr
- engine oil + filter change every 5k = rm1,958.40
- air filter change yearly = rm84
- microfilter change yearly =rm90
- atf fluid + pan change yearly = rm625
- coolant change yearly = rm42.67
- front brake pad + rotor + sensor = rm613
- rear brake pad + rotor + sensor = rm458
- brake fluid flush yearly = rm50
- power steering fluid flush yearly = rm48
- tyre change + alignment = rm2,510
- wiper change yearly = rm110
- TPA yearly fee = rm600
Grand Total Maintenance Cost per Annum = RM7,189.07

Percentage Spending by Category
- 35% for tyres
- 28% for engine
- 16% for brakes
- 9% for transmission
- 8% for TPA fees
- 4% for microfilter, wiper, coolant, power steering fluid

Note: these cost is very subjective to every owner..just sharing mine with fellow friends here:4: cheers..

this car is worth grabbing when it goes on sale one day..

muhaiminrahim;849880 said:
My average mileage is 40k/yr
- engine oil + filter change every 5k = rm1,958.40
- air filter change yearly = rm84
- microfilter change yearly =rm90
- atf fluid + pan change yearly = rm625
- coolant change yearly = rm42.67
- front brake pad + rotor + sensor = rm613
- rear brake pad + rotor + sensor = rm458
- brake fluid flush yearly = rm50
- power steering fluid flush yearly = rm48
- tyre change + alignment = rm2,510
- wiper change yearly = rm110
- TPA yearly fee = rm600
Grand Total Maintenance Cost per Annum = RM7,189.07

Percentage Spending by Category
- 35% for tyres
- 28% for engine
- 16% for brakes
- 9% for transmission
- 8% for TPA fees
- 4% for microfilter, wiper, coolant, power steering fluid

Note: these cost is very subjective to every owner..just sharing mine with fellow friends here:4: cheers..

ezy;843005 said:
Hi Guys!

I really like e46 compared to e90. though the car is abit old model, but it look nice to me.

Instead of of buying new civic/altis cost about 110k+. A well maintained e46 is much better option. :top:

On average, to keep the car in good stock condition, investment is a must to pamper it. For return, we get rewarded with Ultimate Driving Machine.

Hope to get advice about it. :wink:

Bought the e46 oredi bro?:top:

bro muhaiminrahim, you left out rear axle oil change and aircon service. both are max 3 figure payment, to be done every 40-50k mileage.

Top Bottom