E46 318i 2002 auto to manual conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bro, using INPA you could probably hv access to the check box in ecu transmission mode to mark the manual mode. so ecu would know its a manual. the same ecu is used for both transmission. so at least that way the engine ecu can optimize the fuel and timing maps as it runs. but how are you going to recode the rest of the modules? then the removal of the EGS?

Bro, short answer here as I need to leave and drive. The plan is to use GT1 to reprogram all the modules. Yes the same DME is used for both manual/auto just need to reprogram. Before reprogramming, EGS need to be disconnected first.

Marvellous work there bro aidilj. Satgi balik penang boleh pekena teh tarik. Suruh McFir belanja :D

tropos_net;724088 said:
bro, using INPA you could probably hv access to the check box in ecu transmission mode to mark the manual mode. so ecu would know its a manual. the same ecu is used for both transmission. so at least that way the engine ecu can optimize the fuel and timing maps as it runs. but how are you going to recode the rest of the modules? then the removal of the EGS?

I'm also missing a hardware before programming which is the clutch switch. This will be connected to the DME to cancel off cruise control and to start the car.

kaiserrand;725325 said:
Marvellous work there bro aidilj. Satgi balik penang boleh pekena teh tarik. Suruh McFir belanja :D

Do let me and McFir7 know when you are around. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Update after driving back to hometown, the car is torquey but lost top speed. Please see page one for rev difference. Cruise control works fine without programming but depressing the clutch will cause engine to rev till redline, need to cancel cruise with the brake first. This behavior should be fixed after wiring the clutch switch and the car is reporgrammed.

Some work done is wiring the reverse light and covering a hole.

Hole used to channel auto shifter cable to gearbox
IMG_4316.jpg

JB welded with sumo cap
IMG_4317.jpg

Soundproofing
IMG_4318.jpg

Reverse (light/function) relay location
IMG_4313.jpg

Closeup
IMG_4315.jpg

After wiring the reverse switch, the reverse light and PDC works. The relay is supposed to be activated by the EGS, in this case, the relay removed and bypassed, EGS output ignored.

CDV delete

Skipped lunch and went to machanic to have this done - removal of CDV (clutch delay valve). This is a valve installed by BMW into most if not all manual trans vehicle. It is a quick and free (no buying new component) mod. Now the clutch response as intended, not dumbed down.

Read more on CDV here : www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

It's a simple unplug, remove, replug and bleed process. Highly recommend manual trans user to do this if havent.

Pictures!

before
IMG_4345.jpg

after
IMG_4346.jpg

offending component (PN 21526755892)
IMG_4349.jpg

very restrictive
IMG_4350.jpg

Bro, I have a question and may need your advice with regards to PDC.

After manual conversion, my PDC became flip-flop, ie 1st engage R - PDC on, free, 2nd engage R - PDC off.
When in R, whether PDC is on or off, pressing PDC would not change its state.
During conversion, foreman said they initially couldn't get PDC to work but in the end, he wired the PDC switch to reverse lamp wiring (or something like that).

Do you think it's still possible to troubleshoot this PDC problem?

seewai;735235 said:
Bro, I have a question and may need your advice with regards to PDC.

After manual conversion, my PDC became flip-flop, ie 1st engage R - PDC on, free, 2nd engage R - PDC off.
When in R, whether PDC is on or off, pressing PDC would not change its state.
During conversion, foreman said they initially couldn't get PDC to work but in the end, he wired the PDC switch to reverse lamp wiring (or something like that).

Do you think it's still possible to troubleshoot this PDC problem?

Bro, I need to do some reading and study E39 schematic to understand the difference between auto and manual. It sounds like there is a PDC button?

Seewai Bro, saw your other post that the reverse has become a toggle switch for PDC. Now I understand. And E39 has a switch to turn on PDC manually.

If like mine, getting the reverse light to turn on thru its original relay will also turn PDC on properly. How is the reverse light wired?

aidilj;735256 said:
Seewai Bro, saw your other post that the reverse has become a toggle switch for PDC. Now I understand. And E39 has a switch to turn on PDC manually.

If like mine, getting the reverse light to turn on thru its original relay will also turn PDC on properly. How is the reverse light wired?

Bro aidilj, I've no idea how it's wired but was told by the foreman he actually tapped the reverse light wire to make the PDC somewhat function.

Yes there's a PDC button to switch it on manually. I'll need to check in detail with the foreman to further understand what actually took place 2 years back.

So there's no PDC button in your E46?

seewai;735369 said:
Bro aidilj, I've no idea how it's wired but was told by the foreman he actually tapped the reverse light wire to make the PDC somewhat function.

Yes there's a PDC button to switch it on manually. I'll need to check in detail with the foreman to further understand what actually took place 2 years back.

So there's no PDC button in your E46?

Bro seewai, I haven't looked at WDS yet for the wiring. During the conversion, was wiring harness also transplanted?

No my e46 doesn't have it

Not long after the conversion is done, a noise emerged whenever the car is revved and when it's started from cold. It was disgnosed to be exhaust leak/crack at the manifold, fingers crossed it is just that. The mechanic said too much rempiting, but the car made it to Kuala Terengganu and back no problem (leak is there already during Pangkor drive). The noise is very apparent outside but from the cabin is just some ticking noise when accelerating..

aidilj;741378 said:
Not long after the conversion is done, a noise emerged whenever the car is revved and when it's started from cold. It was disgnosed to be exhaust leak/crack at the manifold, fingers crossed it is just that. The mechanic said too much rempiting, but the car made it to Kuala Terengganu and back no problem (leak is there already during Pangkor drive). The noise is very apparent outside but from the cabin is just some ticking noise when accelerating..

Sifu, i think i hv a similar issue on my ride as well..(without manual conversion of course)hehehehe..in my case when im accelerating, i can always hear more like a hissing or a screaming sound from the cabin..more to the co-driver side...but outside near to engine bay, its absolute normal..still trying my best to figure it out since dat sound irritates my wife most of the time..hmmmm..

aidilj;741378 said:

somebody told me u really rempit to KT that day bro...hehe. nice to meet u my super duper junior :)

Insured By Mafia;741405 said:
Sifu, i think i hv a similar issue on my ride as well..(without manual conversion of course)hehehehe..in my case when im accelerating, i can always hear more like a hissing or a screaming sound from the cabin..more to the co-driver side...but outside near to engine bay, its absolute normal..still trying my best to figure it out since dat sound irritates my wife most of the time..hmmmm..

Bro, the exhaust manifold is on the driver side while on the passenger side is the intake manifold. Yours could be related to the intake portion instead..

rajesh;741410 said:
bravooooo bro....

Thanks Bro

YaZmEeN;741447 said:
somebody told me u really rempit to KT that day bro...hehe. nice to meet u my super duper junior :)

Your source is most probably correct Bro, but blame it on the car since it inspires confidence too. In spite the exhaust leak..

Always a pleasure meeting a DIYer furthermore a super duper senior

aidilj;741456 said:
Bro, the exhaust manifold is on the driver side while on the passenger side is the intake manifold. Yours could be related to the intake portion instead..

roger that Sifu..thanks for the info..will get it checked..

aidilj.....you are the man......from, electrical, electronics to mechanical..omg..what else you dont know...!!!..even i myself an engineer can never come close to you...

eujinee;748591 said:
aidilj.....you are the man......from, electrical, electronics to mechanical..omg..what else you dont know...!!!..even i myself an engineer can never come close to you...

Bro eujinee, thanks for the kind words. I guess this is desperate times which require desperate measures. I'm sure given the circumstances, anyone would be able to undertake this. Cheers.

Top Bottom