e46 2.0 change engine to 3.0 advise needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
solo;539802 said:
Isn't No (2) impossible to achieve in our Malaysian traffic?

Salut

change the distance OK ka? 50Km? Pusing satu KL I think can get 50km..haha

my M54b25 can last from johor bahru to kota bahru with 1 full tank of vpower

in this case, if you're looking for power and at the same time worry bout adding fuel consumption, try 2.5

i think my 2.5 consume less than 318, 320.

katakijau;539776 said:
Bro kevster30,
I agree that transmission ratio effect the fuel consumption.
Can you confirm that 2.0 transmission use a lot of fuel rather than 3.0 transmission?

If you are talking about speed and driving condition , ofcourse fuel consumption will be damn high driving at top speed and high rpm..
lets compare 3.0 and 2.0 in same driving condition at same speed.

1) Highway (constant speed) for 100km distance
a) how much average fuel used for 3.0?
b) how much average fuel used for 2.0?

2) Town (constant acceleration) for 100km distance
a) how much average fuel used for 3.0?
b) how much average fuel used for 2.0?

Bro katak,

Buy, borrow or steal a 330i, drive it for a week and you tell me. Please don't get hung up on technical specs and engineering theories. Having owned bmws ranging from 1.8 to 3.5, the 3.0 engine gives one of the best fuel consumption throughout the range.

Btw, have you ever lived with a double-vanos engine before? There is a reason why double-vanos exists and it is not becos of power and performance.

I am sharing practical info based on personal driving experience and not from tech journals or from the WWW.

Cheers:top:

mayee;536666 said:
Hi Sifus out there..

Im asking on behave of my friend,currently he drive e46 2.0 (2003/2005)...he found half cut of e46 330i & wanted to change into 3.0 engine (330i).

Any advise pls.

regards,
mayee

AS many have advised, ur friend would be better off selling his 320i than to mod it. Many here have been onto that path before.

The N42 engine is actually a pretty efficient one, equipped with valvetronic and minus the earlier ignition coil, sludge and ECU issues, is actually a pretty good engine. In terms of fuel efficiency, due to valvetronic (lighter in weight) is definitely more fuel efficient than the M54. I would stick with the N42, but if the 6 pot bug bites hard, just buy a 330i :)

You can up grade to 33% higher in term of capacity..alot of money invovle..

kevster30;540293 said:
Bro katak,

Buy, borrow or steal a 330i, drive it for a week and you tell me. Please don't get hung up on technical specs and engineering theories. Having owned bmws ranging from 1.8 to 3.5, the 3.0 engine gives one of the best fuel consumption throughout the range.

Btw, have you ever lived with a double-vanos engine before? There is a reason why double-vanos exists and it is not becos of power and performance.

I am sharing practical info based on personal driving experience and not from tech journals or from the WWW.

Cheers:top:

I know that bro.. you are sharing info based on your driving experience..I appreciate it..
Sorry to say, I am never used double vanos before. But how the systems works? I know..
Everything have pro and con.
As a conclusion, what ever engine you drive , you will get your own satisfaction in term of power , performance , and economical..agree?

I am too technical because my background is Automotive..haha.. Everything will ended with What ? Why ? and How?..

guyz...will the rear ratio of the 320i and 330i be different?
will the 330i be running out of juice earlier if its equipped with the 320i rear ratio?
whats the ratio for both of them respectively.......am just trying to find out....thanks

Why bother bout fuel comsumption if u interested of 3.0l ? tell me, which big cc car can fuel saving ??? answer is none, cause its natural. I was driving 328i, now 2.0. As many drivers said, city driving = makan minyak for 3.0 but not on 2.0. Eventually, when u driving highway, bigger 3.0 is jimat than 2.0. The most important is no matter how u calculate also u wont get the actual fuel ratio. It is because, every drivers have their own modification on their wheels, air filters and etc that could effect the fuel comsumption. The most important issue could be driver's attitude. aggresive or old man type.

As i believe, an 2.0 chasis could be different from 3.0. Weight, bushes, bars, suspension and etc will be different cause 3.0 is much more heavier due to bigger block. I strongly advise u to sell off and buy 330. You are not driving japanese car that can simply upgrade engine, this is BMW. To upgrade it, there are many consideration. End up the money u spend for upgrade is actual the money where u can buy an 330.

Anyway, this my oppinion, those who doesnt agree, please not angry :D Cheers !
I have almost 20 years of experience playing with Jap or Euro cars :D

perryyip73;547796 said:
Why bother bout fuel comsumption if u interested of 3.0l ? tell me, which big cc car can fuel saving ??? answer is none, cause its natural. I was driving 328i, now 2.0. As many drivers said, city driving = makan minyak for 3.0 but not on 2.0. Eventually, when u driving highway, bigger 3.0 is jimat than 2.0. The most important is no matter how u calculate also u wont get the actual fuel ratio. It is because, every drivers have their own modification on their wheels, air filters and etc that could effect the fuel comsumption. The most important issue could be driver's attitude. aggresive or old man type.

As i believe, an 2.0 chasis could be different from 3.0. Weight, bushes, bars, suspension and etc will be different cause 3.0 is much more heavier due to bigger block. I strongly advise u to sell off and buy 330. You are not driving japanese car that can simply upgrade engine, this is BMW. To upgrade it, there are many consideration. End up the money u spend for upgrade is actual the money where u can buy an 330.

Anyway, this my oppinion, those who doesnt agree, please not angry :D Cheers !
I have almost 20 years of experience playing with Jap or Euro cars :D

exactly the point !!! dont look for big engines if you are not going for the power/torque it has to offer. consumption of fuel is not the comparison as it depends on how the engines are revved. everything from the suspension/brakes/chasis welds are different.

go to realoem.com and compare the parts differences.

So far, i havent seem any E46 2.0 installed with supercharged. I meant Malaysian, not oversea. Simply because oversea can do perfect set up. If really do, how many hp can increase for 2.0 and how much really need to spend, how realiable after supercharged.

I've heard many saying VW GTI golf is more powerful than BMW. It is true, cause the Weight is lighter and bigger HP. But normal BMW is meant for confortability but not on performance. M3, M5 are those who really interested for performance.

Eventually, CSL in europe has done well researhed and upgrading performance of 3 series like 325 or M3 mostly. U can see some movie taken in youtube. They really spend alot to make it perfect :D money money money :D

Top Bottom