e46 2.0 change engine to 3.0 advise needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mayee

Club Guest
Hi Sifus out there..Im asking on behave of my friend,currently he drive e46 2.0 (2003/2005)...he found half cut of e46 330i & wanted to change into 3.0 engine (330i).Any advise pls.regards,mayee

1) must consider the engine endorsement first.

It's little bit difficult because now JPJ regulation only 25% displacement up..
My friend told me that, if change engine within 25% up or 25% down, no need to go JPJ kawal selia.
If more than that, you can raise your application to Kawal Selia JPJ for the approval.

2) 3 litter Fuel consumption will be higher than 2 liter.

Bro kevster30,
Any idea that fuel consumption 3liter is better than 2 liter or same consumption?
I am not sure about that la bro..My statement is base on my experince only..

Calculation of Combustion chamber displacement times the cylinder count is total displacement of overall engine displacement..fuel supply delivered into combustion chamber based on how much air in engine.
All fuel burns at same air + fuel ratio.This is fixed by ECU.When big air amount results big fuel amount.

Maybe you have seen/feel the prove that 3 liter fuel consumption better than 2 liter..Please advise
Thanks..

I have a E46 330i, my experience is that the bigger engine is less economical as well.

Also, if you upgrade from 320 to 330, you may want to consider upgrading brakes rim tyres, etc.

How does that compare to buying a used 330i and sell the 320i anyway?

Sorry I have no idea on this.

Better sell 320 and buy 330, why? for me to avoid much hustle. Price of the halfcut, year of the engine, milage of the engine, labor cost, wiring, breaking system and law bla..bla..bla...

And the car still 320 feel and not 330 feel even though the engine is 3L

katakijau;537076 said:
1) must consider the engine endorsement first.

It's little bit difficult because now JPJ regulation only 25% displacement up..
My friend told me that, if change engine within 25% up or 25% down, no need to go JPJ kawal selia.
If more than that, you can raise your application to Kawal Selia JPJ for the approval.

not true either. i upgraded a 2.0 to 3.0 last year. all above board, no hanky panky. approved within days.

3.0 will sap more fuel on start-stop city driving... but if on constant move, it won't be that much different from the 2.0.

IMO, it's better and easier to sell the 318i 2.0 and buy a 330i... u may pay slighty more but u'll have peace of mind. U never know how the conversion will end up, and there's a risk there's niggling teething problems and u'll end up going back to the workshop for months after the conversion...

As correctly pointed out. Upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0 is not just a change of heart. It involves suspension, brakes, wiring and etc etc. At the end of the day, it may just cost more than selling of the 320i and get a 330i.

But sometimes, already paid loan and etc and doing the sell/buy would be a little more hassle.

But conversion will leave the car not the same anymore. So, plan wisely. Else, just live with the 2.0 until you can get a pure 330i. Nothing beats the REAL thing yeah. ;)

hehehe

can i change my 318 to 518 ka?

heheheh..... sorry..... cabutzzzz

not too sure if it is merely change of hearth, brakes, wiring, etc. i believe the transmission needs to be considered as well.

katakijau;537106 said:
Bro kevster30,
Any idea that fuel consumption 3liter is better than 2 liter or same consumption?
I am not sure about that la bro..My statement is base on my experince only..

Calculation of Combustion chamber displacement times the cylinder count is total displacement of overall engine displacement..fuel supply delivered into combustion chamber based on how much air in engine.
All fuel burns at same air + fuel ratio.This is fixed by ECU.When big air amount results big fuel amount.

Maybe you have seen/feel the prove that 3 liter fuel consumption better than 2 liter..Please advise
Thanks..

Bro katakhijau,

You must also consider transmission ratios and final drive ratios.

In town driving as the car spends a lot of time crawling and idling at traffic light, drive thrus, etc, the 3.0 consumption is marginally higher by 15%.

On highway cruising, the 3.0 actually uses less fuel as you are cruising at a much lower rpm.

Add both together they are about the same for combined driving between the 2.0 and 3.0.

Of course 1st month of ownership of the 3.0 is thirsty as the new owner tends to like to exploit the powerband.

mizhan;538503 said:
my E46 3.0 does average of 400km from 50 liters.

WHat this owner failed to include is that his average cruising speed is between 180kmh-220kmh......and he uses only V-power........:top:

Try this on a M43 1.9 and the fuel consumption will definately be higher.

Bro kevster30,
I agree that transmission ratio effect the fuel consumption.
Can you confirm that 2.0 transmission use a lot of fuel rather than 3.0 transmission?

If you are talking about speed and driving condition , ofcourse fuel consumption will be damn high driving at top speed and high rpm..
lets compare 3.0 and 2.0 in same driving condition at same speed.

1) Highway (constant speed) for 100km distance
a) how much average fuel used for 3.0?
b) how much average fuel used for 2.0?

2) Town (constant acceleration) for 100km distance

katakijau;539776 said:
2) Town (constant acceleration) for 100km distance

Isn't No (2) impossible to achieve in our Malaysian traffic?

Salut

Top Bottom