E39 Overheating

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmer73

Club Guest
Hi Sifus Recently my ride stalled with overheating problem due to a crack the coolant tank. Got it fixed and also changed my radiator and the thermostat and it was rusty and together with some hoses. but the car still overheats with water coming out fromthe radiator cap. have ruled out the blown head gasket as there is no water in the cyilinder head and no oil in the coolant tank. there is also no leak from the water pump both fans are running fine but th car still overheats especially on idle in traffic. any idea what else is the problem tempreture sensor etc...besides bleeding completely.

bimmer73;428464 said:
Hi Sifus

Recently my ride stalled with overheating problem due to a crack the coolant tank. Got it fixed and also changed my radiator and the thermostat and it was rusty and together with some hoses. but the car still overheats with water coming out fromthe radiator cap. have ruled out the blown head gasket as there is no water in the cyilinder head and no oil in the coolant tank. there is also no leak from the water pump both fans are running fine but th car still overheats especially on idle in traffic. any idea what else is the problem tempreture sensor etc...besides bleeding completely.

bro,
It's time to change your ride already! It must be the driver ill-treating the car for a long time? So, pay-back time? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it could be the water pump not working effectively? Do another check on all the hoses for leakage?

bimmer73;428464 said:
Hi Sifus

Recently my ride stalled with overheating problem due to a crack the coolant tank. Got it fixed and also changed my radiator and the thermostat and it was rusty and together with some hoses. but the car still overheats with water coming out fromthe radiator cap. have ruled out the blown head gasket as there is no water in the cyilinder head and no oil in the coolant tank. there is also no leak from the water pump both fans are running fine but th car still overheats especially on idle in traffic. any idea what else is the problem tempreture sensor etc...besides bleeding completely.

Mike,

This is definately the cylinder head gasket starting to go. It has started leaking between cylinder 5 & 6. Your top radiator hose must be rock hard right now at normal temperature and at idle water will pour out of the radiator cap no matter how tight you screw it in, and temperature shoots to red.

So I suggest you better get a top overhaul done as soon as possible as not to incurr more damage by warping or worse forming cracks on your cylinder head due to the overheating. Also heli-coil all the head studs, else you will strip the bolts holes in the block when you bolt it back up.

hi bro,top overhaul will settle your problem...
maybe the time you straight added water when over heating,normally need to wait 30-45mins for the engine cool down once over heating,then only can be refill the water,if not the engine block will be 'kong'...
i face this problem before,smooth ride everything ok,once i ram it then will over heating again & again..

bimmer73;428464 said:
Hi Sifus

It could be your fan clutch that need replacement. (though the fan may look like its still running fine, it may not be powerful enough)
make sure you bleed all the air completely out of the system and do not overfill the recommended level of water in the expansion tank...and also you may also wanna change the expansion tank pressure cap.
Just Sharing my own experience...hope that helps

ok changed my electric fan as it was faulty.but overheating still. When i start the car when hot the engine vibrates for a while and a little difficult o get the engine started. aircond is hot not as cold as it use to be. One the highway in a slight bumper to bumper the temp went up 1 bar and the came down back to half. funny...... can top overhaul be completed in a days work?

I think you should not drive anymore. Is your radiator top hose hard as rock when engine has been running for a long time? Did you check this?

Damage may get worse, resulting in engine totally jamm up and u fork out more money for a second hand engine. Think if you do it on Thursday, u can get your car back on Saturday morning. That's if it's done once and proper by a pro.

have you checked the radiator cap. when the car goes thru a series of overheating problems due to this and that, the rubber in the cap kaputz. check your cap. if it shows signs of wear and tear, change it. the wear and tear is cause by the extreme heat. hope this works...

bimmer73;428764 said:
ok changed my electric fan as it was faulty.but overheating still. When i start the car when hot the engine vibrates for a while and a little difficult o get the engine started. aircond is hot not as cold as it use to be. One the highway in a slight bumper to bumper the temp went up 1 bar and the came down back to half. funny...... can top overhaul be completed in a days work?

Have u check your expansion tank pressure cap? And check also the water pump seal...Done a compression test? any leakage?
Any burn smell from your engine oil? water condition in your expansion tank? murky? if not, i dont think you need a top overhaul just...try diagnosing the smaller problems first.
Cheers...

have check all that has been mention. Went to Mpower today tested another clucth fan was ok for a while. radiator, spare tank, thermostat and radiator cap is brand new infact got a spare one cap. water level is normal.

WC9922

yes my hoses are rock hard with preesure. Nathan at Mpower does not think it is the head gasket. But has requested for me to leave the car with him for one day to do a complete check.

I really hope if it is major only the head gasket is busted and not a crack cylinder head. Sigh. Will update tomorrow.

German

I got jalan to bring down beemers from UK for about 10k pounds. But the papper work is major.
but must fly to UK to select the car. If ribena can sponsor I'll get a V10. hehehehe.

bimmer73;430044 said:
Jerman
I got jalan to bring down beemers from UK for about 10k pounds. But the paper work is major. but must fly to UK to select the car. I'll get a V10. hehehehe.

Brilliant, Mike! Less than RM 60k? What models? 10 years old?
Suggest we do a group buy? :shakehands:

bimmer73;430044 said:
have check all that has been mention. Went to Mpower today tested another clucth fan was ok for a while. radiator, spare tank, thermostat and radiator cap is brand new infact got a spare one cap. water level is normal.

WC9922

yes my hoses are rock hard with preesure. Nathan at Mpower does not think it is the head gasket. But has requested for me to leave the car with him for one day to do a complete check.

I really hope if it is major only the head gasket is busted and not a crack cylinder head. Sigh. Will update tomorrow.

WHAT! M POWER aka NATHAN............?
bro...........may i humbly suggest u get a 2nd opinion from another shop before surrendering your mean machine to him...........PLEEEEEEEZZZZZZ.........

bimmer73;430044 said:

Mike ...... God bless you .......

bimmer73;428464 said:
Hi Sifus

How can you sure there is no water inside Cylinder head? Have you opened it up?

I can almost sure you have leaked gasket, and like WC9922 said, you better get the right mechanic to open up your engine, if you need help, please sms me for good mechanic. When you have leakage on the gasket, two things happen, one is water entering the cylinders, another is pressure from the cylinder pushing into your cooling system, thus destroy all the cooling components one by one, with the oldest and weakest one gone first, so yes you will soon found one by one leaking, the root casue is the Gasket gone.

So, your problem is known to many people including me.. this is due to the past over heating problem not treated properly, like Yazid said.. God bless you... please do it fast before too late.. and get the right mechanic, I dont know Nathan @ Mpower, from the way our friends replies here, you should go for second opinion.. keep us posted. .and good luck..

Guys Confirm head gastket. Now checking to see if got crack on cylinder. M power is already my forth opinion. Dismantle the cylinder head and there was water in the piston. sigh sigh sigh....sakit. 3 other mechanics told me to check head gasket. Can some share with me the cost involved. if there is a crack.

I think better to rethread the bolt holes for the head bolts for safety measure while you're at it...

fabianyee;430604 said:
I think better to rethread the bolt holes for the head bolts for safety measure while you're at it...

or change the bolt to new ones .... satu batang around RM25 .... the kira sendiri.

bimmer73;430510 said:
Guys Confirm head gastket. Now checking to see if got crack on cylinder. M power is already my forth opinion. Dismantle the cylinder head and there was water in the piston. sigh sigh sigh....sakit. 3 other mechanics told me to check head gasket. Can some share with me the cost involved. if there is a crack.

What crack .... Block or Head ...?
Kalu block .... change new engine ...or .... cari Leforte/Jason, and u could upgrade to 3.2 . .

RM10K all in -- tapau lio (not new engine)

Mike .... are doing it at MPower ? ... if yes .... God Bless you again ...

Top Bottom