E39 manual beam throw control not working (switch controlling the headlight up/down

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

suren2485

Club Guest
Hi Anyone had this issues the manual beam throw control is suddenly not working, its the wheel beside the fog light switch where you can adjust the headlight up and down. I confirm the motors on the headlight is working cause when i engage the key into ignition the headlight does the up down thingy but once i start the car and play with the wheel control nothing happens, i tried replacing the switch, still no go, this is driving me nuts:mad::102:, it was working all this while and suddenly stopped. Appreciate if someone can help me on this. Thanks in advance.

Is there a fuse for the switch ?, i checked under the glove box and at the trunk but couldn't find any.

there is a general fuse for it, but it might be link with other usage i.e. interior light, etc..

check your manual book.

The manual book only showing the location of the fuse, i tried to research online but nothing, i might try to restore the LCM to factory default tomorrow and see if that helps or not. i doubt so but wanna give it a shot.

I have the same problem on stock projector headlights then i changed to hella, it was fine about a year, then it goes back to the same prob like urs. Manual adjust it, it does make any different.. The headlight project the light very low.. I tried manually adjust it using screw driver at engine bay.. Doesn't work also..
But yes, if I turned the headlights on, turn the key to ignition position.. The projecter headlight does move left right up down...
I'm wondering if it is something to do wooh coding...

Andyk;829057 said:
I have the same problem on stock projector headlights then i changed to hella, it was fine about a year, then it goes back to the same prob like urs. Manual adjust it, it does make any different.. The headlight project the light very low.. I tried manually adjust it using screw driver at engine bay.. Doesn't work also..
But yes, if I turned the headlights on, turn the key to ignition position.. The projecter headlight does move left right up down...
I'm wondering if it is something to do wooh coding...

Manual adjust by screw not up meaning adjusters broken.

first of all, try to check whether ur adjuster is broken or not. this can be done by wiggle the bulb holder behind the lights. if there's too much of freeplay, then ur adjuster already broken. its a common issue for e39 and can be replace.

if there's no freeplay, then please check ur connector for the motor. the location is at the middle, and close to the bottom of the back part of the headlight. the connector has the rubber seal to prevent water from sip in to the lights. and it'll be abit tight to slot it in.

if all those above is okay, then i can say that ur LCM might be faulty. try to change the LCM and check if the adjustment is working or not.

i can assist u for the solution for all of the above matter and i have the spare LCM to test. pm me bro...

just another thread for sharing:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?51900-Gremlins-on-my-1996-E38-728i&highlight=

suren2485;828879 said:
Hi Anyone had this issues the manual beam throw control is suddenly not working, its the wheel beside the fog light switch where you can adjust the headlight up and down.

I confirm the motors on the headlight is working cause when i engage the key into ignition the headlight does the up down thingy but once i start the car and play with the wheel control nothing happens, i tried replacing the switch, still no go, this is driving me nuts:mad::102:, it was working all this while and suddenly stopped. Appreciate if someone can help me on this. Thanks in advance.

Bro cepat PM yazmeen for the anti dot hehehe...:top:

Yazmeen Bro - yup i actually changed the adjuster 6 months ago, so its in good shape, The connectors to the motors also are plugged in tightly cause when you start the car the light does adjust up and down so the motor is working :) . Could it be a switch issues ? cause the switch i tested was a chop shop one, cause cannot find brand new one cause they say the switch hardly fails. I'll PM you bro, appreciate your help

suren2485;829153 said:
Yazmeen Bro - yup i actually changed the adjuster 6 months ago, so its in good shape, The connectors to the motors also are plugged in tightly cause when you start the car the light does adjust up and down so the motor is working :) . Could it be a switch issues ? cause the switch i tested was a chop shop one, cause cannot find brand new one cause they say the switch hardly fails. I'll PM you bro, appreciate your help

Bro where ur r staying....2nite got tt mmz bkt jelutong if free why not come joint us for chit chat hehe...:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bro i love to but im working:( i work batman hours cause supporting US clients.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk HD

Yup Feels good now, although i rarely use the vertical aim control but for me all the function of the car need to function even tough i hardly use them :-D

Now balance is need to check the Dim switch, it doesn't dim gradually, its either fully bright or fully dark. Suspect the switch, tomorrow i will remove the switch and get my friend to check using a multimeter :-D

Guess what ! The Dimmer is also fixed, cekap :D:cool:

suren2485;829523 said:
Guess what ! The Dimmer is also fixed, cekap :D:cool:

Bravo....:thumbup:

Aku ada stereng bas ko adaaa....

Tweiboon - behind the cover where the liver to open the hood is.

DIY ur self feels good right somore solved ur prob....

Aku ada stereng bas ko adaaa....

Top Bottom