E39 - Long Shaft Issue?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jsng

Club Guest
Hi guys ..Recently my car is generating some funny grooming sound (low frequency) whenever the car is traveling from 60-80km/h but it will be quieter whenever it reach 90 and above. Its seems like there are something vibrating at the undercarriage but the body of the car is still steady. Sent it for a check at the workshop and they suspect that this could because by the long shaft. Do you guys have any similar experience? Not sure whether this could be the issue with the tyre? especially when the tyre is pretty old (but yet the thread is pretty deep). If worst case this is the long shaft issue, is it expensive? Thanks and looking forward to hear from you all soon.Regards,JS

Might due to your tires (if they're old & bald as old tires are known to create this whining sound). Do check your long shaft bushes & coupling to determine the condition.

I had just changed the coupling last 2 months ...
The sound is really annoying ...
hamilton;754316 said:
Hi, i had that ...... Not only sound but vibration as well, it was the coupling.

The tires are a bit of .. year 2008/2009, but the thread are still good ... so do u think this could be an issue?
Will the shaft bushes be contributing to such low frequency grooming sound?

BTW .. do you have any idea on the cost of replacing a long shaft? Is it expensive?

wingzee;754319 said:
Might due to your tires (if they're old & bald as old tires are known to create this whining sound). Do check your long shaft bushes & coupling to determine the condition.

Was told used long shaft cost above RM1K and brand new cost above RM3K.

I also looking for an used long shaft for my car.

Do you feel any sort of vibration on your seats? Old harden tires may make these woom woom sound. But best to check on the long shaft first since tires thread still fine.

I was quoted RM650 for a E46 325 long shaft from a chop shop. New one is known to costs in the region of RM3-4k. You may try to rebalance the shaft first instead of replacing it as it costs much cheaper. Rebalancing only costs RM160 as quoted by shop which do refurbishment for long shafts. The thing is you need to remove the long shaft & bring it to them as they do not have the tools for the removal.

jsng;754464 said:
The tires are a bit of .. year 2008/2009, but the thread are still good ... so do u think this could be an issue?
Will the shaft bushes be contributing to such low frequency grooming sound?

BTW .. do you have any idea on the cost of replacing a long shaft? Is it expensive?

Rebalancing of long shafts are always been done for 4WD & lorries from what I been told as costs of replacement for these vehicles' are costly. Yet to try them out though.

LED Aladdin Limited lampada è costruita con una tecnologia innovativa denominata Multiple Chips & Cups on Board, ne risulta un’elevatissima luminosità, un’altissima dissipazione del calore che ne determina un piccolissimo deterioramento nel tempo, inferiore anche a quello delle tradizionali lampade a LED.
About LED Aladdin Limited
Aladdin led lights 100 Lumen Per Watt a Using MCOB led light source design and R & D, OEM LED Lights an innovative manufacturer of high quality, High luminous efficacy LED Lighting supplied at truly affordable prices
WEB: http://www.ledaladdin.com

Most of the time the coupling is the culprit . Change the coupling before you go for the long shaft . I had similiar sound and one workshop recomended to change long shaft . second opinion proved otherwise, so i changed coupling . issue solved. best of luck .

I do remember while changing the gear box oil sump gasket, the coupling is changed .. hmmm ..
Anyway, do you all has any recommendation on the workshop that is good in diagnosing these type of mechanical issue?

Top Bottom