E39 523i/528i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
eyethree, may I know how much you pay for the car? is UK or Jap spec?

And how much you spend so far for repair/maintenance?

wan520i;329733 said:
eyethree, may I know how much you pay for the car? is UK or Jap spec?

And how much you spend so far for repair/maintenance?

Wan,
On the average, you need to put aside RM 600-800 per month for E39's maintenance.:eek:

What is your milage on the car? If around 180,000km, please be prepared for gearbox to pack it in between then and 200,000km. This is due to the design of the clutch packs in the box. Wears out by that time and there's nothing you can do to stop it from happening.

This is the #1 major overhaul item on the E39. A faulty warnout gearbox will rob the car a lot of the smoothness and power and but you will be blaming it on your engine, if you don't know.

wan520i,
Paid higher than the normal guy would pay; e.g. RM73k. Not sure about the spec but the registration card stated "imported new car". So far, the only thing that I spent was for changing the tyres. Others, not yet as the previous owner advised me the 'sort of maintenance' and scheduled required.

wc9222,
Currently it is at 106000 kms. The previous owner advised me the same but told me that with proper maintenance it can last longer than 250000 kms. Will go for full diagnose some time next week.

[/QUOTE]wc9222,
Currently it is at 106000 kms. The previous owner advised me the same but told me that with proper maintenance it can last longer than 250000 kms. Will go for full diagnose some time next week.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right. Diagnostic will not indicate to you the mechanical wear condition of the clutch packs and the torque converter.

The diagnostics will only check the electronics parts of the gear box such as the AGS/EGS, shift solenoids, torque converter lockup switch, speed sensor and gear oil temp sensor functionality and adaptation values. i.e shift program status.

Mechnical condition of the gearbox can be detected by a test drive analysis.

Top Bottom