E38 windscreen replacement

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

farouks92

Club Guest
Hi there. Newbie in the forums here. Driving E38 728 and wondering anybody with experience changing windscreen. Researched the web and seems that a certain rubber spacer is required to ensure proper seating/spacing of the glass. Suspect previous owner didn't do proper installation as quite significant wind noise present while cruising. Hoping for inputs and workshop suggestion for this job. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to BMWClubMalaysia. Pls introduce yourself in the newbie section.

As for the windscreen advise, the moment to touch the factory vacuum seal, do expect some compromise in sound proofing. U r right that a spacer will be inserted at the bottom of the screen. Check rubbers and seal are in place and tight. Removing and reinstalling a windscreen could mean the ori gets damaged and a new screen is required. I hear CMS do a good job otherwise any Dr Cermin shop would do. R u insured? If so, go to a panel.

Thanks for the info. CMS contact details pls?

Would also appreciate other members' with first hand experience doing this as I have heard E38 windscreen is very sensitive with installation methods compared to other udm's.

Would like to do it right once and for all. Windnoise is not cool..........

farouks92;587633 said:
Thanks for the info. CMS contact details pls?

Would also appreciate other members' with first hand experience doing this as I have heard E38 windscreen is very sensitive with installation methods compared to other udm's.

Would like to do it right once and for all. Windnoise is not cool..........

I heard from bro Kadir Rashid that his E38 windscreen got smashed to pieces although the mechanic tried very carefully installing the rubber, took him around 2 hours but in the end it broke anyway.

Digital Punk had his wind shield replaced recently by CMS. Chong 012-3993168. So far no complains from Ray and yesterday I sat in Ray's car and didn't hear any wind noise. BTW the are approved panel workshop for a few insurance companies.

i have just changed mine last week. At DSG ... Near Tawakal . next to 7-11. I have done my 32 and 39 there also earlier.. Before the replacement i had wind noises at 160kmh and when they removed the old one, they showed me where is the problem. They certainly know what they are talking about. i do notice they insert in the spacer just before they line the silkaflex255. stay away from the japanese crap! some shop says its better.. but its never better.. just cheaper. But they never tell you that part.

have fun

bro alan,

issit true, or u forgot to add another zero behind?hehe

Mine got changed two years ago, and it cost somewhere around 3k+, with the rubber, and the plastic cover under the wiper but it's not original and not china, the shop said it was from Singapore. No idea

Alan - thanks. Very chip! This is Thailang or China. No issues given our car is already aged. If every 2 years change also OK what!!

Meen - yes, mine also the fella said Sing parallel import! Had the ori BMW logo/Sicurvis etc. When I went to tint....found out it was only a sticker that was so cleverly placed!!!! Lots of con artist out there. and I paid RM1,900 for it!!!!

alantiong;589829 said:
yup.. cina mali.. at that price.. every year change also can lah.. LOL

i should sit down with u more lah alan...hehehehe

Top Bottom