e38 engine conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sbalasundram

Club Guest
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the 7 series forum, since I usually use the 5series forum.. However, guys I have some questions...My brother is planning to buy a 740 e38 (1996), and wishes to convert it to the 728 engine.Will it be costly to do that? Anyone of you all have done it?Is it possible to request for some potential (mechanic) to take care ( all in one) of the trade in of engine, jpj , approval, etcc??Hope you guys could suggest....ThxRgds,bsuresh

Youre not gonna get much (trade in) for the 4.0V8. The 728i E38 or E39 half cut (which you'll need due to different wiring, gearbox, ECU and so forth) will cost nothing less than 15K, conversion plus JPJ "work" will be another 3-5K and have another 3-5K for spares such as water pump, gaskets, filters, oil, plugs and so forth.

I might have a solution...e-mail to Holsteiner2003@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Zackary1@Sep 7 2005, 12:18 AM
Youre not gonna get much (trade in) for the 4.0V8. The 728i E38 or E39 half cut (which you'll need due to different wiring, gearbox, ECU and so forth) will cost nothing less than 15K, conversion plus JPJ "work" will be another 3-5K and have another 3-5K for spares such as water pump, gaskets, filters, oil, plugs and so forth.

I might have a solution...e-mail to Holsteiner2003@yahoo.com

downgrade to 3.0 ..

sifus
if I'm not mistaken..if u r downgrading engine..shouldnt be much jpj prob as the cars mechanicals ie brakes can take the smaller engine output..

however, I suppose b4 putting in the engine..do you have to get the certified AP to go with the halfcut..[remembering Koko Zoggee's advice here] :D

Originally posted by et5@Sep 7 2005, 04:09 AM
sifus
if I'm not mistaken..if u r downgrading engine..shouldnt be much jpj prob as the cars mechanicals ie brakes can take the smaller engine output..

however, I suppose b4 putting in the engine..do you have to get the certified AP to go with the halfcut..[remembering Koko Zoggee's advice here] :D

yup .. plus a few tricks here and there ...

dude dont convert 4.0 v8 to 2.8 inline................ too messy even sterring rack got to change.....it will work out cheaper to buy 728i 1997 goim for about 120 k..... plus u can sell it next time......but if u decide to buy 740i then i think..u should just change your engine to 3.0 v8.... seen one car done at chan used part shop....old klang road area....his a nice guy go spesk to him...3.0 v8 road tax about 2050.... nice power to..218hp.... peace.

Originally posted by et5@Sep 7 2005, 05:09 PM
sifus

et 5...have you bought a beemer?? :)

Bro Mafia..had one sold one. big mistake ..[now I realise ].taking my apek time to find another one..have to be anal abt it ;)

..was looking for e30 originally until nearly kena racun by Lionel to get a E34..kekkekkek..but I have survived the cactus :D

In any case Zoggee's advice is sound and good for newbies like me.
BTW where is yr workshop located?

:D :D

Originally posted by et5@Sep 13 2005, 08:46 AM
Bro Mafia..had one sold one. big mistake ..[now I realise ].taking my apek time to find another one..have to be anal abt it ;)

..was looking for e30 originally until nearly kena racun by Lionel to get a E34..kekkekkek..but I have survived the cactus :D

In any case Zoggee's advice is sound and good for newbies like me.
BTW where is yr workshop located?

:D :D
E34, E34, E34, E34..... kek kek kek kek. :D

et5

I'm growing a lot of grey hair waiting. Get Wolverine's car lah. Low mileage, original, and more importantly, RIPE for mods!!!

:D

get a bimmer lah....

me oso got a e28 oledi...and you belum dapat lagi ka??

wolverine's car or not...get one...

but must say...wolfie's car is a gd buy!!

workshop in puchong!

Top Bottom