E36 steering gap

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Wlvrn

Club Guest
Bosses & sifu'sI have a stupid question to ask. what parts contributes to the gap feeling on the steering wheel? is it the bush? the arm? or the rack?

for E36 the most common as far as I am aware is the bushes, better to spend a bit more on them and get the harder M3 bushes is the info I have heard so far.

that what i've heard about the M3 bushing,
anyway, thanks for the info

If you are referring to the free play of the steering, i.e. you can move the steering left and right but the car continues to go straight, then the fault lies in anything than connects the steering to the wheels to the chassis. In my case, I found it to be the steering rack itself, after changing all the bushes to no avail.

masCh;253605 said:
how do you describe the gap feeling? How do I know this?

turn left or right have a "kluck, kluk" sound with a slight gap feeling...
checked with workshop suspected the steering rod & coupling problem

Wlvrn;253659 said:
turn left or right have a "kluck, kluk" sound with a slight gap feeling...
checked with workshop suspected the steering rod & coupling problem

i think i got this problem too... kluk kluk kluk kluk...
but sound appear only when I hit the stupid sharp bumper at basement car park,
but no gap feeling like what you got....

"Kluk kluk" is likely bush (typically lower arm) or possibly ball joint.

'Gap' is likely steering rack, usually known as free play.

Any other sound out there?

ball joints

check ball joints, short and long, c.a bushing and tier rod ends - if tie rods cannot get just the ends need to purchse whole unit. hope this helps.

when i hit the brakes softly, the kluk, kluk sound is heard. Thot was the brakes, so changed the all disc and brake pads but noise still there. Mechanic insisted it is the rack. Anyone have the same problem with their E36!

E36 Soundtrack

Lee36328;253836 said:
"Kluk kluk" is likely bush (typically lower arm) or possibly ball joint.

'Gap' is likely steering rack, usually known as free play.

Any other sound out there?

OooOOooo so my bush now wear out larr... thanks

my car got many sound recently...
1) kluk-kluk : at front/ steering only when hit the bumper..
2) bukk bedebukk : at the back, my mech said it was my cat and airmas
3) knok knok at compressor area, my mech ask me to change the compressor, but my AC very god and still work fine.

thats all the sound so far i have.....
(if combine all 1,2,3 sounds, oledi can make Rap or hip hop music....:eek: )

meanguy;253968 said:
when i hit the brakes softly, the kluk, kluk sound is heard. Thot was the brakes, so changed the all disc and brake pads but noise still there. Mechanic insisted it is the rack. Anyone have the same problem with their E36!

I would bet money on the lower arm bush. Anyhow, easy to check.

It is appalling how many workshops anyhow hentam a replacement part (usually an expensive one) instead of diagnosing and ruling out the cheaper suspects first.

Zul_84;254094 said:
OooOOooo so my bush now wear out larr... thanks

my car got many sound recently...
1) kluk-kluk : at front/ steering only when hit the bumper..
2) bukk bedebukk : at the back, my mech said it was my cat and airmas
3) knok knok at compressor area, my mech ask me to change the compressor, but my AC very god and still work fine.

thats all the sound so far i have.....
(if combine all 1,2,3 sounds, oledi can make Rap or hip hop music....:eek: )

Tu ler, beli kereta tak sound dulu. Sekarang, banyak sound. Padan muke. :rolleyes:

But seriously, the most important first step is to get a good reliable workshop so you can get proper diagnosis and advice. Look for a problem-solving workshop, not a parts-installer workshop.

Lee36328;254406 said:
Tu ler, beli kereta tak sound dulu. Sekarang, banyak sound. Padan muke. :rolleyes:

But seriously, the most important first step is to get a good reliable workshop so you can get proper diagnosis and advice. Look for a problem-solving workshop, not a parts-installer workshop.

:20: :20: :20: :20: :20: :20: :20: :20: :20:

Lee36328;254406 said:

Looking for a "problem-solving workshop" is hard to find. Any one you can suggest?

How about doing inspection, like the time before we decide to buy our car? only need to pay RM100 to know which parts need change.

I have similar problem like play at steering and oil leaking (Small drips) from steering rack.
anyone having S.Rack changed?
Estimated RM?
and any good Mech at OUG area?

E36 328

Thanks

free play mostly are from the steering rack...try to turn your steering left and right gently and see if there is any free play
kluk kluk sounds are from the lower bushings...you can up grade the lower controller arm bushings to e36 M3 3.0 bushings for better handling
all e36 steering are interchangable...even along with the Z3...so, i bet you guys should have no problem on finding one in Malay.

Top Bottom