E36 328i Power

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

musclehedz

Club Guest
There's something wrong with my car, even my mech doesn't know what is it and he says it's nothing but I drive the car everyday so I know and can feel there's something wrong.1)Floor the accelerator from standstill from 1st gear, do you feel the torque and it pins you back to the seats? Mine still can feel, all the way up to 6000rpm.2)3rd gear to 2nd gear kickdown when you floor the accelerator, do you feel the torque and also pins you back to the seats? Mine right NOW, can still feel but its not as strong as before.3)In 2nd gear, full acceleration, once it touches 4000rpm, do you feel another rush of torque coming in and it again pins you down to the seats? Mine USED to, now NO.Now, is it me who has got used to the power or what? I'm kind of sure it's not me as I'm very sensitive to all my cars. The main issue is the 2nd gear, I don't feel the 2nd level of torque coming in at 4000-6000rpm anymore.328i drivers, please share your 'feel'Thanks.

Bro...

Its simple ... u got used to the accelaration.

thats why we all start to crave for more ...

well... bring it for TT we'll test it out and see if there is a real problem .

cheers :D

Originally posted by three28@Jun 15 2005, 09:32 AM
Bro...

Its simple ... u got used to the accelaration.

thats why we all start to crave for more ...

well... bring it for TT we'll test it out and see if there is a real problem .

cheers :D
It's definitely not me la.

But anyway, I called up Links Power just now, will just hop by and do a dyno run to see the figures which should confirm what I felt is correct. I have the previous dyno run chart so I'll be able to compare them.

I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong somewhere.

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jun 15 2005, 09:46 AM
Check your 1)vanos unit 2)O2 sensors :)
Done that. VANOS is also new. Mech changed it and tested say OK, but when I tested it... no way joze... it's still there.

Now I'm really having sleepless nights trying to get to the root of the cause

Speaking of VANOS, do you guys know that the VANOS dip apart from being a mechanical issue with the cam phase switchover, it's also a software issue? AFAIK, updating the software on the ECU can almost correct this problem. Checkout your ECU version. This is due to the Ignition timing retardation. There is also a DINAN s/w that can almost completely eliminate this problem.

MH,

you are right. It's more of a software issue.

I was thinking abt this famous vanos dip. It occured to me that it can't be caused by the cam phase change over because the two occurs at different rpms.

Vanos dip occurs at abt 3000+ rpm.

Vanos actually engages (turning 12.5 degrees) at 1000 rpm and disengages at abt 5000 rpm.

So, the 'dip' shud be software issue.

But, since I like the kick in the pants when that happens, am living w the dip happily... :D

On your earlier point, I guess the only objective way is to measure the torque via a dyno.

Bear in mind you have been doing A LOT to your car, so understandably, the behaviour would change.

From what i can gather, things that u did which may affect your butt dyno feel include the vanos performance kit and the sebring exhaust...

The adaptive dme would take some time to learn and adjust to the O2 sensor readings...

Do what three28 said, just come for a TT and put it against another 328 and then you'll be able to see the difference.

Checked the dme for errors countless times already, all adaptation also cleared including gearbox ecu. At first its showed an open circuit ignition error but after re-adjusting the timing, now OK already but that 4000rpm 'kick' is still not there :angry:

Originally posted by Slide@Jun 15 2005, 11:03 AM
Do what three28 said, just come for a TT and put it against another 328 and then you'll be able to see the difference.
I did that. I tried a few 328. If I'm not mistaken, the standard un-chipped 328 don't possess the 2nd torque 'kick' at 4000-6000rpm in 2nd gear. My engine is superchipped, that 'kick' was there 2 months ago until recently this 2 weeks, its has misteriously vanished away into thin air :unsure:

Slide..musclehedz,Lee

come PNDC tomorrow night...found my Gtech kit .then three of you can Drag as much as you want. B)

Originally posted by Slide@Jun 15 2005, 11:27 AM
Are u still faster than the other stock cars?
Yes. Still manage to touch 250 yesterday just to test it out. But that 4000rpm 'kick' in 2nd gear is what I'm searching for back now

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 14 2005, 10:28 PM
Slide..musclehedz,Lee

come PNDC tomorrow night...found my Gtech kit .then three of you can Drag as much as you want. B)

Sounds like a good plan, as i think my gtech thing is busted la... i think it only stops my 0 -100km speed at 120 and not 100. ....
need to compare.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 15 2005, 11:28 AM
Slide..musclehedz,Lee

u've just given me a compelling reason to turn up... ;)

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 15 2005, 11:28 AM
Slide..musclehedz,Lee

What kit is that?

Get the S50 cams. I have somewhere in my store. Hmmmmm......
or you can ask Three28 to sell his.

Top Bottom