E36 325 Turbo - Need Advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALBundy;315423 said:
Flowrate for stock injector is about 18.9lb/hr. The M52B28 (used in the US M3 S52B32 as well) injector is around 20.X lb/hr, if I remember correctly. With BSFC around 0.4 and a higher injection duty cycle say, 0.85 or 0.90, its good for up to 250~260hp, also depending on the air fuel ratio.

As for the clutch, I have a friend who is running stock 325 clutch pack with lightened flywheel in his E36 Euro M3. No slippage issues despite the 320NM of torque produced by the engine :)

Well, we talking about fuel pump flowrate, not reliability. But, its good to change if it hasn't been change for 13 years and I doubt many fuel pumps will actually last that long, unless its kept in the garage most of the time (last 325 was manufactured in 1995). :)

Cheers.

If i still remember a S52B32 runs a 42lbs thats around 443cc

legendeer;315839 said:
Hi Koh,

What if i get the 328i and convert to manual? is that a bad choice?? About vitamin M...correct me if i'm wrong, but any idea how much i can expect to spend on forced induction? or even engine swap. Still costly rite??

Rgds

328 convert to manual ....Yes its a good choice ......

2 frens of mine just convert their 328 to manual with new mapping, 325 intake monifold,3.15 lsd etc ....The car is damm fun to drive .......328 also can stroke to 3.2 ........NA car will loss in term of torque but nice to drive at mid n high end n can cruise for long distance .........

For FI ....u need to stanby at least 15K for a good job .........If possible, stand alone ECU will be a better choice ......Then u might end up at 20K ...U can refer to the price tat Albuny mentioned earlier .....His is 4 potters and ur is 6 potters ......Not easy as M50 engine space is limited ....

If u really want FI .....fren of my got a set of mosseman turbokit complete for M50B25 .......Run on low boot and u can maitain ur injector n ecu setting ......Just go for google seach for mosseman turbokit ....

GT35R_BMW;315852 said:

US n Euro spec is diff ...I think Albundy refer to US spec.....

bmw engines are actually nice to force feed, either turbo or s/c. heads flow air well, and the iron blocks are quite hardy. aluminium need some tlc.

legendeer....most impt is the tuning. to turbo u're ride, doesnt need much Vit-M. turbo,intercooler, injectors=chopshop. manifold n exhaust=local exhaust sifus. tuning=too many to choose. pssh pssh sound=priceless :D :D

only thing u have to throw ur autobox in the klang river. only girls use auto's, if u got hair on u're chest, its time for a manual :D :D

my 2 cents

Man Ramsing, u r 1 funny fella. But yeah, there's truth in what you say.

Dude, - "aluminium need some tlc." mind to clarify man?

Koh, Mosselman turbo's don't seem to be able to be set at high boosts...they are quite low rite?

Anyways, besides the parts u mentioned above, i think i might need to change the piston, piston rings? and all the other minor stuff that can become a major issue.

GT35_R, u built that engine yourself? How many weeks project dat 1?

Well looks like i need to take a few days off roaming tuner areas just to settle this turbo issue.

GT35R_BMW;315852 said:

Correction!! s52b32 is a US based m3 engine. it uses the same injectors as any m52b28 which is a 18.5lbs unit.

the euro s50b30 m3 engine is running on 21.5lbs injectors while the s50b32 runs on 24lbs injectors.

aluminium blocks are not as hardy as iron, but its lighter. so for FI, the tuning has to be within a tighter tolerance. but since u got iron, just stick with it.

if u're current engine is not smoking or a timebomb, bearings are not shot and a compression test comes out within acceptable levels, then why open d block. if u're not going to boost sky high and aiming for 400hp, then just stick with it first. most to most, u can change to a thicker gasket. but high CR FI engines are nice to drive. doesn't allow crazy boost, but for daily driving, its very nice.

i guess it really boils down to how much of power u want. if u're thinking of taking on the current M5, then its gonna cost you $$$ :D lots of sifu's here who can give you the low down.

good luck man. hope you get the pshh pshh... :rock:

legendeer;315895 said:
Man Ramsing, u r 1 funny fella. But yeah, there's truth in what you say.

Dude, - "aluminium need some tlc." mind to clarify man?

Koh, Mosselman turbo's don't seem to be able to be set at high boosts...they are quite low rite?

Anyways, besides the parts u mentioned above, i think i might need to change the piston, piston rings? and all the other minor stuff that can become a major issue.

GT35_R, u built that engine yourself? How many weeks project dat 1?

Well looks like i need to take a few days off roaming tuner areas just to settle this turbo issue.

Hey, thanks for the info ramsing. U gave me sumtin to think about.
I wanted this to be a daily ride, not a weekend track car, so yeah, extreme performance is not what i'm looking for.
What in your opinion is a good cr? for the 328 i mean.

And no man, i don't intend to take on the M5. If i wanted to, i'd just shut up n go get myself a Lamborghini - which is way out of my pocket now, haha.

A good CR is 9.0 to 9.5. It allow moderate boost and easy town driving.
If I were you, I will keep the engine everything stock, but the injectors.
Anything happen, is just a simple engine swap without any trouble of reinstall pistons/gasket/yada stuff.

Good luck, and may the boost be with you. :)

legendeer;315895 said:

The standard mosselman is mainly design for low boost and its for daily use car with extra hp .......U'll getting about extra 40-50 hp with the standard kit .......The maintenance relative low cos everything is stardard stock .......Of cause u can boost it higher by changing to others turbin ....

Tat why ppl always said there will never a ending story for FI cos power never enuf .......

Just buy a 325 and stroke it to 3.0 or 3.2 ......... with manual tranny and chipping .......i think is more then enuf for daily drive ......NA car always easier to maintain compared wit FI ......

Well, i'm pretty much set on turbocharging the E36 328, no more considering engine swaps for now. One question. Compared to the 325, is the 328 better - mod wise?

We get our 328's Euro rite? dat means its not a steel block...and i also need to go look for a 325i manifold, where best to cari this?

GT35R_BMW;315852 said:

S32B32 is US M3 and it uses the same injector as the M52B28 or commonly known as the 328 engine.

The Euro Spec M3 is S50B32 (evo version).

Cheers

E36 325i using M50B25(non-vanos) or M50TUB25(Vanos).. Cast iron block...
E36 328i using M52B28 - Aluminum block.... Lighter but not as tough as cast iron block.

one ex-bimmer owner had an E36 325i stroked to 3.0 liter and then S/C plus M3 5speed manual gearbox... And it had a 316i badge on it... It shot past a convoy of Fiat Coupe turbos on PLUS effortly while the fiats were aledi straining at top speed. It left a 'what the f**k was that' impression on those poor italians.. hahahaha.. It still haunts them now..

legendeer;316167 said:
Well, i'm pretty much set on turbocharging the E36 328, no more considering engine swaps for now. One question. Compared to the 325, is the 328 better - mod wise?

We get our 328's Euro rite? dat means its not a steel block...and i also need to go look for a 325i manifold, where best to cari this?

I won't worry bout the M52 aluminium block. The block is strong enough.

The Forced Induction route is a long and winding road with plenty of obstacles. It can be done, but at the end of the day, with all the $$$ and time spent, you will be better off with a ///M engine swap. There will be a lot of customisation work needed and yet it won't be perfect.

If you still interested in FI, go with SC. The AA kits are good and installation is a breeze. With the M52B28 engine, you are good for 340hp :)

Cheers.

fabianyee;316354 said:
one ex-bimmer owner had an E36 325i stroked to 3.0 liter and then S/C plus M3 5speed manual gearbox... And it had a 316i badge on it... It shot past a convoy of Fiat Coupe turbos on PLUS effortly while the fiats were aledi straining at top speed. It left a 'what the f**k was that' impression on those poor italians.. hahahaha.. It still haunts them now..

I think I know this guy well......this car was extensively DINAN-ed....as fas I was told by him. And by the way, its a 316i which was NEVER washed.

Jules;316368 said:
I think I know this guy well......this car was extensively DINAN-ed....as fas I was told by him. And by the way, its a 316i which was NEVER washed.

Subconsciouly, I think I'm emulating him... Can't recall when I last washed my car... hahaha... His current ABC (Ah Beng Chia) ride would suit his 'no-wash-car' trademark. Washed aledi not macho looking... hahahha

People, people pls! I don't wanna change my mind anymore edi, like damn fickle la haha. I am gonna stick with turbo, although ehm...anything else that can deliver above average -bordering on crazy- power is fine with me.

Well keep us updated on the progress. Would love to see how your project turns out :)

cheers.

stock 2.8 block is good enought to boost. no need to open the block if its in good condition. just slap on a thicker gasket if you're feeling scared. ecu tuning u can buy a chip/software from the states. :D

but i'm worried bout your autobox. have a manual standby. but ya, do let us know your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom