Getting an 36 - 328i - Need advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Actually I was looking up the history of the 3 series and i think the last model year for this shape was 1998 for both 2/4 door, it was in 1999 that they switched to the E46 shape but still using the 328 engine for 1 or two years before they switched to 330...the cabriolet continued on until yr 2000 before they switched to e46 body shape, correct me if Im wrong, Im recalling from the article on e36 user's guide to buying one in BMWCar magazine (from 2007 issue if im not mistaken)...

but how come in the market still got 1999 E36 batch...no joke bro....the car log card printed clearly year make n register was 1999.

1999 registered is different than 1999 manufactured. the last year of manufacture is 1998. the prblem is, that period, there was an asian financial crisis. AB had problems selling off their remaining stock, and ended up finally selling them all in 1999. and only then did they bring in the sedan E46, which if i'm not wrong, was actually introduced in late 98, and not 99.

legendeer;313503 said:
Hi guys,

I am new on this forum, and so far have pretty much read up everything on the 36's. I need to get a car by early May, and i've decided its going to be the e36 328i.

Moving forward, i would like to say i need advise here. My concern lies in power. If say, for example i get the car, and feel i need more out of it, what would it cost for me to fit in a S52B32 I6 (M3 '96-'99) engine plus all the necessary equipment that goes with it?

Or would i be better off going turbo?

Pls advise on both, power and costs.

Rgds.

To answer your original question (assuming you stick to your initial decision).

The M52 (328) and S52 (US M3 96-99) actually shares similar wiring and ECU system, MS41.1 by Siemens. The AFR is different but with similar wiring and software platform, all that is needed is a the stroker kit and the M3 ECU. You may need to realign the EWS module before you can start the car.

As for the alloy block issue, I think this issue is way overblown and many comments are hearsay. I have run an alloy block for close to 5 years now, with the block overheated a couple of times due to waterpump and thermostat failure. Nothing happen so far. The benefits of having an alloy block far outweighs the risks. Even new Jap cars are using alloy block.

If you are planning to go the forced induction route and big Power is a top priority for you, I suggest you to get an EVO or Sti. Extracting more power from BMW engines are not cheap.

If you want something that is fast, comfortable and safe then go with the E36 328. If you need more power, go with S52B32. It is more than enough to keep you smiling with lower running cost compared to the Euro specced M3.

Cheers.

i say if u looking for a additional 100 or 200 bhp then turbo or supercharge it, if u think u wana work on the car for a long time n make it a super car then start with the 3.2 evo engine, save money and engine more tough..
im thinking of it also,

legendeer;314064 said:
OK dudes, mebbe i shud change this topic to getting a 325i, but would any of you have an E36 325 to let go? o ur frens? i nid sumtin in good cond, not 1 dat will break down on d way 2 work. If gt, i promise to look after her than i would look after my wife!

Mine is up for sale :

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?p=326050#post326050

I looked after her more than I would look after my gf. That's why now that I'm getting married, the new missus wants me to change to a new car. :(

Top Bottom