E36 325 Turbo - Need Advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

legendeer

Club Guest
Hi guys, i am pretty new on the forum, and am due to get my E36 325 by early June. Still looking for one, but already have a few in mind. Thing is, i wanna mod this thing, and after much consideration, have decided to go down the turbo route. Initially planned on a 328i, but after receiving feedback 'bout d engine block and transmission, decided to stick with the 325.I've had a turbo before, but this is gonna be my 1st UDM, and i really need to know whom best (in KL) to speak to regarding tranny conversion to manual and turbokit installation and everything else??@ Need to know before i actually get the ride. Pllssss help.....need to settle dis issue soon.Any help is much appreciated dudes!!!Rgds

Have you checked out other international forums for advice?

Legendeer,

Welcome to the forum and BMW CLub Malaysia.

I have gone down that route before, with my M42 engine.

With the 325, its is high possible to get it turbocharged but would be better with a 328 since it has a lower compression ratio, 10.2:1.

First you need to see AH Exhaust at USJ.

You will have to decide what turbine you wanna run. Ceramic bearing turbine like the ones on the S14 and S15 is highly preferred, made by Garrett (at least RM1k used, new ones about 3.5 to 4k).You will need him to fabricate a turbo header for you, this will set you back at least 2 to 2.5k. If ceramic coated, another RM800. His labour charges for the piping works, intercooler, oil piping will come up to about 4k, excluding exhaust work, external blow-off valve, wastegate, turbo timer, boost pressure monitor. You will also need to run a piggyback ECU to amend the engine timing and fuel mapping.

All in all, given the cost, time and $$$ needed, I think you will be better off running a SC kit. Get one from Active Autowerke in Florida.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Make sure you can clear the steering rod, and a shield to keep heat away from Brake System. (Master cylinder & ABS).

Dont' forget coolant lines, clutch upgrade, fuel pump upgrade, injectors upgrade...
If you are pusing over 1 bar : head gasket, lower CR piston, rods, ...

Remember : Cheap, Reliable, Fast - you can only pick 2.

All in all, given the cost, time and $$$ needed, I think you will be better off running a SC kit.
:stupid:

If its running below 0.5 bar or so, existing injectors and fuel pump should be adequate. The most he needs, is just to swap in the M52B28 injectors. The M50 clutch should also be able the withstand the additional torque. With the ceramic coating on the headers, heat will not be an issue. I have tried it.

Cheers

what is the flow rate for stock injectors ?
You said M50 clutch can withstand additional torque ? How much more ? :D
Yes, below 0.5 stock fuel pump should be adequate. But can you trust a 10+ yrs old fuel pump ? ;)

Flowrate for stock injector is about 18.9lb/hr. The M52B28 (used in the US M3 S52B32 as well) injector is around 20.X lb/hr, if I remember correctly. With BSFC around 0.4 and a higher injection duty cycle say, 0.85 or 0.90, its good for up to 250~260hp, also depending on the air fuel ratio.

As for the clutch, I have a friend who is running stock 325 clutch pack with lightened flywheel in his E36 Euro M3. No slippage issues despite the 320NM of torque produced by the engine :)

Well, we talking about fuel pump flowrate, not reliability. But, its good to change if it hasn't been change for 13 years and I doubt many fuel pumps will actually last that long, unless its kept in the garage most of the time (last 325 was manufactured in 1995). :)

Cheers.

Interesting.
Why BSFC only 0.4 ? Is that standard/normal for BMW's enigne ?
If 18.9lb/hr is true, man, the injectors are sadly tiny... LOL
18.9 is about 199cc/min... :D Imagine 850cc/min injectors from Mitsubishi... LOL
What is the Fuel pressure for stock fuel rail ?

320NM? Nice. Let me guess. B28 with SC at about 0.3 bar?

Stock Fuel Rail Pressure is 3.5 bar :)

I have run close to 1 bar in my M42 with 2 extra injectors (m52B28 ones), getting about 203rwhp at 6000 rpm. AFR at 6000 rpm is about 12.5:1.

So its adequate, without the need to change to bigger injectors. But it does no harm to do so, just need make sure the injector ohm rating is compatible, thats all. :)

Cheers.

I have run close to 1 bar in my M42 with 2 extra injectors (m52B28 ones), getting about 203rwhp at 6000 rpm. AFR at 6000 rpm is about 12.5:1.

So its adequate, without the need to change to bigger injectors. But it does no harm to do so, just need make sure the injector ohm rating is compatible, thats all. :)

Cheers.

ALBundy;315451 said:

2 extra injectors, you mean 8 in total ?
Where is the other 2 ? And why ?

AFR at 12.5, with 10+:1 Compression ratio ? Wow.
What is the EGT ? Isn't that going to be too hot ?

Woo nuts man the SC Bundy, where u see man...correct me if i'm wrong but the new SC kits for the E36 going for around £4K!!.

But anyhowz, i've always wanted to turbocharge the E36 man. Definitely at least 1 bar, no doubt. Headache man, whom to go and see man..AlBundy! where did u get urs done dude? Based on the above discussion, definitely need to do sumtin about the clutch tho. I dont want sumtin thats gonna die on me when i am goin to work @@

Ok, latest update dudes, toh@speedworks told me that BMW's are very very unreliable if turbocharged...he recommended an engine swap instead....any1 want to debate that?

Thx for the pointer loafer. Power stuff there. But u know how it is with turbo's..i'd rather build my own slowly from the ground up, anything happens, i'll know exactly what the problem is.

Besides, plonking down 35K on an engine (minus EverYthIng else that goes with it) is a bit out for me now. Good luck to the seller tho. If only he let go with the car...

Arghhh

Try talking to RS Impressive in Puchong, they offer turbo and sc builds for a lot of cars, including bmw.

BMW engines aren't inherently unreliable under boost once you sort the compression, it's usually poor or inexperienced tuning/install that causes most problems. An engine swap can be totally unreliable too if it's not done properly. It's more a case of making sure you find the right mech for the job and crucially, the right engine management system.

True, but i won't know for sure until i meet the guys. Engine swaps for BMW's are more common, which is why more mech's are confident of doing it without a problem.

Now turbo's....that's a whole diff ball game. I will speak to the good people at RS Impressive, and let u know the story. Thanks alot man.

If u getting 325 auto ....u make a rite choice to convert it to manual ......Manual conversion will cost u around 6-7k ......

If u ask me ....i rather go for 3.0 or even 3.2 stroke wit chipping, extractor etc........I think the power is good enuf (at least for me )

Turbocharge is not really suit for BMW unless u really willing to put in lot of Vitamin M .........

For force induction ...i do agreed wit Albuny ...go for SC instead and run on low boot........M50B25TU engine shld able to live wit it .....

Good luck ....

Hi Koh,

What if i get the 328i and convert to manual? is that a bad choice?? About vitamin M...correct me if i'm wrong, but any idea how much i can expect to spend on forced induction? or even engine swap. Still costly rite??

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom