E34 Gear Not Smooth

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Beem

Club Guest
Dear All,I own an E34 for close to a year, condition was quite ok (all at original spec)when i bought over i had all oil and fluid changed (engine/gear/differential/brake) to original.Gear shifting was very smooth and responsive and not problem in all condition.The gear shift started to take longer period for the first drive of the day since 2 months back, started to take from 100m to 1km distant for it to shift from 1st gear to 2nd.Now the gear changing from 1st to 2nd takes 2km for the first drive of the day.Basically it will shift to 2nd gear after the engine heat up (temp at middle), after that there will be no problem at all for gear shifting for the rest of the day. Everything will be as good as before, smooth and responsive.My mechanic suggest that servicing the gearbox, cleaning might helps.Anyone faced this problem before?need some advise before doing any decision, wouldn't want to do something that doesn't help.Thanks in advance for any advise.Selamat Hari Raya

Used to face that problem with my E32. Especially once starting from cold in the morning, my car would struggle to get changed into 2nd, and the revs would rise but the gear just wouldn't budge until a few metres, with a slight jerk.

First time I had that problem, I changed the gearbox. :(

I've no idea whether it could've caused by insufficient transmission fluid, but I sure hope you wouldn't need to replace the gearbox bro.

Eggie, I've had that 'problem' since I had my car...first time starting in the morning when it's time to change to 2nd it revs a bit higher and changes to 2nd, not as smooth as normal but after that everything's fine. And it's not gotten worse in anyway...I understand Beem's is definitely a problem but yours sounds like it's normal! *confused*

Hammer278;560672 said:
Eggie, I've had that 'problem' since I had my car...first time starting in the morning when it's time to change to 2nd it revs a bit higher and changes to 2nd, not as smooth as normal but after that everything's fine. And it's not gotten worse in anyway...I understand Beem's is definitely a problem but yours sounds like it's normal! *confused*

Hmm, I think what I meant to say was that, prior to getting my gearbox replaced, the gear changes from cold starts were extremely bad. As in, it'd not engage into 2nd gear despite driving for a few mins. For example, after coming out from Subang Park Hotel and before reaching the traffic lights at Carrefour, the gear just won't change. & once it comes, it's always a sudden jerk or lunge forwards before engaging 2nd. After that no more problem.

Normally along that stretch, I'd already be in 2nd gear or even 3rd if the lights are green and I'm moving briskly towards Subang Parade. :D

My problem was that I had a very heavy right foot, always depressing the accelerator with so much gusto especially at traffic lights or from tolls. In the long run, it had a detrimental effect on my gear changes. :smokin:

Ahh right right. When I first got my car I used to switch to M mode and pedal to the metal changing gears from the lowest 1-2-3-D from tolls! It was a thrill...but got bored of it quite soon...maybe a blessing in disguise. :eek:

Hammer278;560733 said:
Ahh right right. When I first got my car I used to switch to M mode and pedal to the metal changing gears from the lowest 1-2-3-D from tolls! It was a thrill...but got bored of it quite soon...maybe a blessing in disguise. :eek:

I used to do this in my E30 too lol. Then one day it started slipping really bad.
Changed to manual gearbox, best change to my car ever. :D

Thanks to all your advise, i will try not engage and drive the car until it is heat up tomorrow.
Let me see whether does the problem still occur.
hope can be settle with lowest budget. ;)

Dear all, i tried warm up the car before driving this morning.
the gear box doesnt seem to have any problem, gear shifting is smooth and responsive as ever.

can it be lack of gear oil in the gear box? the oil is sufficient as i check the level.
any idea?

Beem;561043 said:
Dear all, i tried warm up the car before driving this morning.
the gear box doesnt seem to have any problem, gear shifting is smooth and responsive as ever.

can it be lack of gear oil in the gear box? the oil is sufficient as i check the level.
any idea?

Hmm, probably the jerky gearchanges could've been caused by other factors then? Hope you'll be able to remedy it soon, and enjoy driving your E34 around. :top:

Anyone have any idea? can it be digital or mechanical faulty?
appreciate whoever has experienced or heard any similar situation kindly share your story...

thanks!

You have too little power steering oil in your transmission. Confirmed. That always causes bad shifting, especially as the limited fluid gets sloshed around from one part of your gearbox to another while driving. The reason the problem gets fixed when your car heats up is because hot atf expands, and thus comes up the minimum volume that your transmission requires.

The e34 requires a special technique when it comes to filling up transmission oil. I believe the engine needs to run at idle. Please google this first before going down to your workshop. In any case, let your car cool down for at least 30 minutes before they jack it up to refill the transmission fluid.

You'll have to put in at least 1 litre. Keep them pumping it in even when they say its enough. As mentioned, the engine needs to be on, and you may have to engage your first gear (can't remember, google this to confirm).

Please send me a pm after you've topped up oil and let me know the results. Good luck.

My mechanic told it might be the torque converter, how is this?
any Sifu around has this problem or changed torque converter before?
how much is that and workmanship?

Beem;561095 said:
Anyone have any idea? can it be digital or mechanical faulty?
appreciate whoever has experienced or heard any similar situation kindly share your story...

thanks!

Bro,i dont really think it mechanically faulty..it might need a service to yr gbox.change the filter n gear oil first..it the symptom persists, then the valve body could be the problem.hope it will be ok. owned a e34 525i before n had fun with the m5 bodykits n e60 m5 rims...cheers

sometime a solanoid valve that spoil inside the gear box can cause this problem. i used have this issue of shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. it always slips and went into N. but one of the experience bmw mechanic in ipoh knew the immeadiate issue when i get to check it out. it was just a solanoid valve spoil and it doesnt cost much at all (Cant recall the the cost but guess is below rm 300 ro 500)

..in user manual stays clearly that u shouldnt move car until operating temperature is set(recommended)..me personally never had issues with that, since i always leave car idling until warm up, however i did similar experience with my Range Rover, and it appears to be a sensor in gearbox, so maybe its same case here..

same also happen to my car.....take time to change from gear 1st to 2nd.....after change 2nd gear transition smooth again....

I had a problem on the reverse position.It took sometime to engage.What should it do?what does it cause this problem?

jumi;578602 said:
I had a problem on the reverse position.It took sometime to engage.What should it do?what does it cause this problem?
could be the torque converter

erica34;579209 said:
could be the torque converter

Bro's and Sifu's...I'm having the same problem but i think it is not serious yet..how do I approach the mechanic to address this...how much it cost to resolved this issue?

Top Bottom