E34 Gear Indicator Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
Hi ALL,My E34 gear indicator LCD inside the instruments cluster is dying. In cold nights, can see 50% but in hot afternoons, totally blank (tho can still see very very dim outline. :blink: I know this is a prevailing problem in many E34s due to the heat, mayb even other models. :eek: Was told by many that I cant just change that LCD, hav to change the entire instrument panel, how true is this?? Also, was told that potong shops costs arnd RM750, any ideas?? :unsure: :unsure: Anyone manage to change only the LCD and not the entire panel??Help, so ideas pls. :D

Originally posted by 5201@Feb 16 2005, 03:10 PM
Hi ALL,

My E34 gear indicator LCD inside the instruments cluster is dying. In cold nights, can see 50% but in hot afternoons, totally blank (tho can still see very very dim outline. :blink: I know this is a prevailing problem in many E34s due to the heat, mayb even other models. :eek:

Was told by many that I cant just change that LCD, hav to change the entire instrument panel, how true is this?? Also, was told that potong shops costs arnd RM750, any ideas?? :unsure: :unsure:

Anyone manage to change only the LCD and not the entire panel??

Help, so ideas pls. :D
Are you sure it is LCD or LED?
LCD= Liquid Crystal Display.
LED= Light Emiitting Diode.

You need to change the display module. Not sure if the chop shop fellas willing to remove that piece from the complete meter display unit. If you are hunting for one, remember vanos and non vanos cars uses different DME system and hence if yours has vanos, then you need to get one with vanos as well.

My display started showing alien fonts one day after parking for a couple of hours under hot sun but when the car cooled, it went back to normal. Occasionally I would lose 2-3 pixels.

So what I did was to take preventive measures by buying a sunshade for my car. The silver reflective sunshades work best. I also try to park under trees and shaded spots whenever possible.

Today, I have nursed my display back to perfect health and I no longer have missing pixels.

You could try removing the instrument pod and cleaning the contacts first before changing it. If it works, take preventive measures like I did.

Originally posted by jarance @ Feb 16 2005@ 08:10 PM

Are you sure it is LCD or LED?
LCD= Liquid Crystal Display.
LED= Light Emiitting Diode.

Electronics Sifu, It shld be LCD, sure looks like it, can show it to u tonite. ;)

Thnx.

Originally posted by ALBundy @ Feb 17 2005+ 09:34 AM -->QUOTE (ALBundy @ Feb 17 2005 @ 09:34 AM )
You need to change the display module. Not sure if the chop shop fellas willing to remove that piece from the complete meter display unit. If you are hunting for one, remember vanos and non vanos cars uses different DME system and hence if yours has vanos, then you need to get one with vanos as well. [/b]

AL,
Understooded. However, how to tell the meter display unit is from a Vanos unit or otherwise?? I had driven an E34 non-Vanos prior to this, the meter panels seem the same to me. :blink: :blink: :dunno: :dunno:

I sure hv to hunt real hard for the display module alone, as mostly those chop shops wont dismantle the whole unit to sell as individual parts. Wonders if BA have it???

I cant remember the part number now, have seen the difference before when trying to help one fellow forumer and that was when we found out the difference. If yours is Vanos, try this chop shop along the LDP near the MOFAZ go kart track. They have brought in plenty of e34 from Singapore which are all vanos units.

Rgds

try to ask a few forumers who has converted their 520 to 525..
they would have the instrument cluster.. or buy it separately..
i sold mind away to zorro..

regards.

bmw ag should hire jarance to look into solving the lcd problems. radio display, gear indicator display, all fark display, e34, e39 all farking same problem... mana itu quality?

I had my tranny replaced yesterday. Display out after a few kilometers. Pulled the shifter slightly backwards, displacy came back to life.
Need to adjust the TV cable. (TV stands for transmission .....something) Dat's wat the yankees called. Will send back for adjustment.
Only the alphabet 'E' is on, but the 'D' flickers or at times off.
You may want to try moving your shifter and see what happens???

Jarance had dismantled my cluster, and ripped it apart till we found the LCD.

The culprit is on the LCD transmission threads (the silver threads that carries the electric current to display the LCD).

Most of my threads are no longer conducting electricity, thus the alien font.

My problem now, can i replace the threads?? Anyone knows if i can buy this part (the threads)??

Pls help.

Originally posted by 5201@Mar 1 2005, 05:22 PM
Jarance had dismantled my cluster, and ripped it apart till we found the LCD.

The culprit is on the LCD transmission threads (the silver threads that carries the electric current to display the LCD).

Most of my threads are no longer conducting electricity, thus the alien font.

My problem now, can i replace the threads?? Anyone knows if i can buy this part (the threads)??

Pls help.
5201, sorry that i did not fix your problem. I am now try and thinking of the way to fix your problem. I just found out my display is also LCD. maybe I will open up and think of a way.. i have something in mind but need to some R&D before letting you know...

Top Bottom