e30 turbo... question here...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dthug

Club Guest
e30turbo.jpg
link..i just want to ask what engine no. is that?... does anybody in malaysia can do that engine modification?very neat and powerful engine...

Its a S38, which powers the E34 M5. Built like a tank, eats cars like a beast! Its an evolution of the legendary M88 engine. The last production batch was in 1995, a 3.8 fully tuned motorsport engine producing 347hp and 406 NM of torque. Yup, more than 10 yrs ago!

While on the topic of E30 turbos, there's a turbocharged 325i for sale in the latest Motor Trader. Interesting.

how about those turbine?

i think its greedy type, same with the intercooler... what do u all think...

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Jul 11 2006, 09:48 AM
While on the topic of E30 turbos, there's a turbocharged 325i for sale in the latest Motor Trader. Interesting.
actually i'm looking for below 2.0 range... i've found out theres s14 for e30 m3 starts at 2.0... is it a good choice to plug a turbine to that engine?

anybody can give the pros n cons?

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Jul 11 2006, 11:43 AM
You're getting an M10 E30???
m10 is the standart engine for e30, right?.. i'm newbe in this things.. formally i'm into japan type of cars...

kira tukar angin la...

The 316 and 318 used M10 engines. From 1987 it was replaced with the M40 which are more common on Malaysian roads.

320 and above are generally M20 engines. Do a research. People have turbocharged M20s before. Turbocharged M10 stories have been heard of as well.

A little trivia:

The S14 M3 engine is based on the M10 block.
(If you can find one, please let us know)

there's a complete M10 engine with gearbox lying somewhere..also with wiring and ecu..

Playing turbo with BMW won't be easy or cheap... Be prepared if u wanna go there... ;)

Nik

S14 is based on the M30 engine. All that was done was to remove 2 cylinders. That is why if you look at the intake dimensions are also the same except for the extra 2 cylinders.

S14 comes in 2 different ccc. 2.3 & later the 2.5. S14's are very high performance & is design to to the max. It was built mainly as a track car therefore anything below 3.5k Rpm you will feel nothing. Go above that & its fun. So for street use its useless if you ask me. The S14 is already max out so force induction will kill the engine.

Parts for the S14 is will cost u a bomb. Just x2 or 3 versus std M20 parts.

btw, The mosselmen turbo kit...??? ahah..!! I got one!!!! Original sumore... :)

Originally posted by Alvin@Jul 12 2006, 05:44 PM
S14 comes in 2 different ccc. 2.3 & later the 2.5. S14's are very high performance & is design to to the max. It was built mainly as a track car therefore anything below 3.5k Rpm you will feel nothing. Go above that & its fun.
Yup... Test drove one a few weeks back. Sweet...

ok.... seems so many people discourage me on turbo-ing a bimmer, can i ask yall the best way to tweak "if" i got m10 or m40?

i emphasis again that i'm a newbie..

my other option on n/a engine will be :- (pls correct me if wrong, these all based on my experience with japan cars)
1. racing cam
2. manageable ecu(can it be fitted? :dunno: )
3. intake manifold
4. exsaust manifold
5. flywheel lighten

"if" those thing can be done... i'm guessing increasing in hp will be below 100 maybe below 50

m10b18 hp range is 88 to 103
m40b18 hp range is 111 to 114

do the math ...

so whats ur opinion?

Top Bottom