E30 steering rack and column

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

francis david

Club Guest
Hi all the Sifu out there. My E30 Steering Rack coupling worn out and steering rack joints leaking. Been trying to find a second hand unit with a reasonable price but can't so far. I got to know that with some modification a E36 parts can be installed to e30. Is it true? anybody done it? Need help.Thanks

francis david;688115 said:
Hi all the Sifu out there.
My E30 Steering Rack coupling worn out and steering rack joints leaking. Been trying to find a second hand unit with a reasonable price but can't so far. I got to know that with some modification a E36 parts can be installed to e30. Is it true? anybody done it? Need help.

Thanks

Dun bother with an E30 rack.....they are old and you will be very lucky if you can find a good used one. Stay away from reconds. I would suggest a E36 conversion......and can recommend a friend's place to do it.

Yes, I went thru the above myself and wished I had changed it to a E36 much earlier to save all the headaches and wasted $$$!

PM me if you need more info.

is your e30 using M40 engine ? if yes, forget about the e36 rack conversion, if using the M20 engines, either L-Jet or motronic system, then can..

cos the M40 sump has no clearance with the e36 rack.. rack shaft fatter..

Didn't know that. That sucks. Since mine is a M40 and my steering rack has always had a slight leak.

evilnickwong;688295 said:
Didn't know that. That sucks. Since mine is a M40 and my steering rack has always had a slight leak.

Keano;688302 said:
E30 M40 steering rack cannot convert to E36? Hmmm...

Strange, I've read & heard from other forumers that have done this conversion???

Pls see thread below:-
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?42513-WTB-E30-M40-Steering-Rack

Converting to E36 is not exactly my cup of tea but it can still be done, right?

i tried before on my e30 M40 engine in 2004... using the e36 rack... could not sit in the original bolts, unless you move the engine forward. !!

Francis,

Mine is a M20, and there was some need to adjust the mounting height but easily done. In my research for this conversion - I never came about the topic that the M40 cannot fit so pussy's is the first i know of.....

Best is to try it and report lor.

good luck!

francis david;688115 said:
Hi all the Sifu out there.
My E30 Steering Rack coupling worn out and steering rack joints leaking. Been trying to find a second hand unit with a reasonable price but can't so far. I got to know that with some modification a E36 parts can be installed to e30. Is it true? anybody done it? Need help.

Thanks

i have an ori e30 rack with coupling in its original good condition to spare. I really like to have RM 850 for it. Intrested call me at 0196622018, Cheers

mrbig;693938 said:
i have an ori e30 rack with coupling in its original good condition to spare. I really like to have RM 850 for it. Intrested call me at 0196622018, Cheers

Trying luck. Still got it ?

Thanks

Top Bottom