e30 manual gear stick

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

iCe

Club Guest
question; can sumhow manual gear stick pasang terbalik? i think mine is terbalik coz my 2nd n 4th gear is not really in position (touching the gear console when engage to those gear).n the R,1st n 5th gear in 'N' position,which is supposely to be further front,rite? can anyone clarify this? :confused: -thanks-

Sounds like your gear bushings or the gear lever bushing are worn. Time for a change.

a)If it's the gear bushings, should be 3 bushes located near the gearbox (outer).

b) If it's the gear lever bush, just give Calvin Tan a call or PM and he'll get you one. Once fitted in..SHORTSHIFT..hehehehe

either the lever is terbalik or the connecting rod is too short or too long
you can try and remove the bottom clip and turn it around, if it doesn't fit, then it is too long/short

-this happens when a 325 gearbox uses a 320 lever set, or 320 gearbox uses a 325 lever set, if you have a dogleg, it is even a bigger nigthmare

there are a few different connecting rods meant for different gearboxes
and depending on the gearboxes - 320/323/325 the rods differ in length

thanks teejay;i guess that is the problem. i get my gearbox n lever separetely,so i dunno wht model is the gear lever.do u have any spare conneting rod mr teejay? this is bothering me since i cant even fit in my gear stick cover,coz it will tercabut when i engage 2nd and 4th gear. lemme know if u have spare connecting rod,.
thanks

ice...i thought ur e30 auto???whn u convert to manual lah?

er err errr., hihihi.
dats why la u,long time no see.baru convert laa,3weeks oledi.

Dude...here's some pic. Hope it helps.

This is the gear linkages for E30M20s Getrag240

Here's anuder one...

Its for E30 M40B18 oso Getrag240

zoggee, the picture doesn't really show much difference
if you check etk, there will be, IIRC, 4 different lengths in the connecting rod....

mr ice,
only got problem then come and seek for help?
maybe in future you should ask before going todo major stuff like this

i may have 2-3 spare ones but i dont recall which models it came off....
only way is to remove and reinstal it
if you want to try all of them, you have my number

there is also another peculiar rod that is bent to accomodate the longshaft coupling harmonic balancer, if your car has it, chances are the mech may have bent it to accomodate it, thus resulting in a shorter rod.....

if all else fail, you can cut and extend or you can cut and shorten, at the same time there is a modification you cando to make gearshift better.....not many people know this.....

ok ok sifu,next time i'll ask before i do.dun mara
so i have to try&error diffrent lingkage untill i find the rite one?this will be troublesome.,duh
thank sifus

iCe said:
ok ok sifu,next time i'll ask before i do.dun mara
so i have to try&error diffrent lingkage untill i find the rite one?this will be troublesome.,duh
thank sifus

yes you have to try and try and try, but mind you doing it on the car will be a lot of work, would have been better if you had tried it when you got all the parts

what gearbox did you get and which type of linkage did you use?
linkage is either the metal plate type or aluminium rod, but there was a particular model that could use both metal plate and aluminium rod, this gearbox used an odd length longshaft and gearshift connecting rod, if you had bought this gearbox, then you have to customise the connecting rod......

ok then i'll try source few diffrent length of linkage then i'll go for try n error.am using gearbox which with metal plate one.
u are sure very knowledgeble person mr teejay,thanks

But ice,

whats BMW E30 models of gearbox you bought la.....???? like Teejay said, it varies la.

zoggee
dont think he knows exactly what gearbox he bought....

even if he did, it would be hard just to find an exact rod for it, as some metal plate and aluminium link dont share the same connecting rods....

true,i dun have any idea wht gearbox is it.the person i bought it frm claim it was frm 323.BTW there a siries of number at the gearbox i take note,can we know the origin of the gearbox frm tht number?

but i'm sure its the metal plate one,not the aluminium one.

there are 3 types of gearboxes that the 323i had, if it was from a 323i

1.older 240 getrag-uses metal plate
2.86 and above uses the 260 getrag- this paricular model has mountings for both metal and aluminium links
3. the ever rare dogleg

when the 325 came out ,the 260 getrag had only the aluminium links mount

if my memory serves me well, this 260 getrag was longer then the 325i 260 getrag,and the plate was shorter and was the same length as the dogleg metal mounts

ice,
the numbers will can only tell the manufacturers code of production, etc,etc
to a certain extent it may confirm year of production and which models it was made for, post it and see if others are able to identify it for you

i think mine is frm number 1.definately not the dogleg one.
i dun know if this is the one i shud post.i dun find any other siries of number
17264AMA

anyway,this is very usefull information.thanks

Top Bottom