e30: blown A/C?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

selespeed

Club Guest
hi all you experts out there! yesterday was an extremely good day to drive fast because the roads are qute empty on NS. i had a chance to blast my little 316i on my way to malacca. but something unlucky happened. while doing close or 6000rpm and holding there for about 20 seconds, some "whizzy" sound appears to come from the cabin. i then switched off the A/C and the noise disappeared. then i turned it on again. subsequently a burning smell developed and i saw smoke coming out from the bonnet. it smells rubber badly and the A/C had stopped functioning. i pulled over to check and the smoke actually came out from the compressor. :mad: the A/C pipes are very hot. had the liquid disappeared? what could have caused it to burn? thereafter, i could not use A/C anymore and had to open windows much to the embarassment of my 2 friends.:eek: what da' you guys think?

How long was it since the last time you service your air con eg. topping up oil to the compressor??
Looks like the comp need to be replace(seized)

Bmmad318i;211152 said:
How long was it since the last time you service your air con eg. topping up oil to the compressor??
Looks like the comp need to be replace(seized)

you're absolutely spot on - the A/C compressor got jammed up causing the burning smell. so had to replace many things...

A/C compressor SD-507 RM330 (re-conditioned)
A/C ilter RM120
A/C valve RM120 (connected to evaporator)
Labor is RM100

RM670 in total - major upset to money department...:mad: :mad:

elwine30;211592 said:
selespeed, i have a spare compressor with me. interested, let me know.

hey dude, a bit late. thanks for your offer. RM330 is what i paid. is it too expensive?

Top Bottom