Does this sound like...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

aramis

Club Guest
..my MAF is dying? Stop at a traffic light, RPM started to go erratic, car struggling to stay alive..then died. Started the engine, car felt limp, RPM still erratic. Reached home called AAM. Guy came, unplug the MAF and plug back, seems to be normal. Went to mech, plug in diagnostic, found nothing. Today, car felt limp and RPM slightly erratic again, rev a bit, car back to normal.

igniter

replace igniter..borrow it from ur fren first..just try..

why don't you try do what the AAM guy do, unplug the MAF and plug back. Maybe it is a bad connection there.

try this. when you experience the erractic RPM, unplug the MAF while engine is running. If the RPM goes higher but steady, then the problem is the MAF.

If I am not mistaken, when the MAF fail, the ECU will use a fail-safe default value to control the fuel mixture. It will be slightly higher to allow you to reach your workshop.

Try to check for leaking or loose vaccum hoses as well. The are most likely the problem.

Well, the problem only surface when I stay stationary (expecially at traffic lights) for a prolong time. Normal driving (car in motion), the problem doesnt appear.

Jarance, I will try the test you suggested the next time it happens again. thanks!

aramis, I had a similar problem in the past. This turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. Althought common, it is certainly erratic and usually occurs whilst stationary because temps go up. Once this happens, it is hard to restart and struggles to stay alive. I'm guessing that the car cooled down whilst waiting for the AAM guy hence it just became OK again.

I also recommend what Jarance suggested, it certainly eliminates any uncertainty on the MAF. All the best.

---

adsidian, thanks for your input. I will check on that too.

Does these faults detectable via the diagnostic tool???

Diagnostic tool - hard to say, sometimes yes sometimes no. It doesn't always get logged permanently, especially when it becomes ok again.

---

cempaka;257944 said:
Maybe its the Idle Control Valve. Have it cleaned out and see if it helps.

yup. have thought of that too. Will be dropping my ride to my mech latter this week..

jarance;257631 said:
try this. when you experience the erractic RPM, unplug the MAF while engine is running. If the RPM goes higher but steady, then the problem is the MAF.

If I am not mistaken, when the MAF fail, the ECU will use a fail-safe default value to control the fuel mixture. It will be slightly higher to allow you to reach your workshop.

Try to check for leaking or loose vaccum hoses as well. The are most likely the problem.

aramis...the danger with this is that the ecu will use different settings for fuel, maybe ignition also. so this might screwup the settings from the smt also. so be careful.

Yea had a simlar problem with my ride too...got my mech to clean the idling valve...then car was back to normal

Top Bottom