Do wash your undercarriage?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vsmpyscho

Club Guest
Just wondering if anyone makes it a habit to wash their car's undercarriage? Was talking to my friend who washes every 6 mths. It was clean - no caked mud or sand..... I sure its good to keep it clean but does it affect your car mechanically?The high preassure hoses makes wash somethings off besides the mud/sand or loosen parts.... :confused: Whats your opinion? Should we keep the undercarriage as clean as the top? ;)

i would like to, but don't know of any place that would do it for me.

some told me tht we can spray some kind of black thigy oil or bitumen i dont know . but any one have info on this ? i heard tht have to wash the under carriage before spraying the black stuff /

vsmpyscho said:
Just wondering if anyone makes it a habit to wash their car's undercarriage?
Was talking to my friend who washes every 6 mths. It was clean - no caked mud or sand.....

I sure its good to keep it clean but does it affect your car mechanically?
The high preassure hoses makes wash somethings off besides the mud/sand or loosen parts.... :confused:

Whats your opinion? Should we keep the undercarriage as clean as the top? ;)
i also interested to know, anyone have any idea where is the best place to wash and how much roughly (preferably a place with experience washing BMW undercarriage

vsmpyscho said:
Just wondering if anyone makes it a habit to wash their car's undercarriage?
Was talking to my friend who washes every 6 mths. It was clean - no caked mud or sand.....

I sure its good to keep it clean but does it affect your car mechanically?
The high preassure hoses makes wash somethings off besides the mud/sand or loosen parts.... :confused:

Whats your opinion? Should we keep the undercarriage as clean as the top? ;)
i also interested to know, anyone have any idea where is the best place to wash and how much roughly (preferably a place with experience washing BMW undercarriage coz dunno can pancut and cabut like proton or not without any ill effect)

on my undercarriage, everytime i wash my car, i spray water under it.. it helps to keep clean to check for oil leaks, etc..but the first time, do it right at a car wash..RM18 a wash with chemical..

Pussy,

Which car wash is that? I just did when to the car wash near Pandan Jaya used to have a ramp. Now the ramp is a mamak stall's kitchen cum rubbish dump!

FYI all - I was told that there is two near Taman Kosas - one near the Shell Station? Will take a drive and check it out.

ezain said:
i'll sure do if i have my own ramp in d house....
each one collect RM 20 and built a ramp in your house, then every friday after work we all convoy to your house to wash undercarriage

the caltex on jalan bangsar/travers used to do this.... not sure if they still do lor. apparently, they wash and then spray some oil underneath... so for a while, your suspensions no more creaky.... my frens used to go there.

Mouse said:
each one collect RM 20 and built a ramp in your house, then every friday after work we all convoy to your house to wash undercarriage
good idea la mouse....errr water bill ? ekekkeek:D

This is from a website

Tools you will need:
water hose capable of reaching around the car
non-silicone wash sponge
gentle non-metal ferrule brush
2 oz. natural solvent 'soap'
small air compressor
2 clean Microwipes
eye protection
The most important thing to be aware of when preparing to wash your car's undercarriage is the temperature of the area being washed. This is even more important than the ambient temperature, which should be between 50o and 80o F.
In addition, on recently driven cars, the engine, exhaust and suspension and components will be very hot, and if cold water gets onto these hot surfaces it will cause temperature shock damage. So let your undercarriage cool to the touch.

VERY IMPORTANT: Remove your watch, rings, keys and bracelets. Be alert to belt buckles, zippers and rivets on jeans. One slip can be a costly scratch or dent.

Start the washing process by mixing the natural solvent soap with distilled water to produce a sprayable wash.
Cover tailpipes, rotors and calipers with small plastic bags and a heavy elastic bands.
Using 25-30 psi blow out loose dirt, sand and silt from the entire undercarriage. [eye protection needed here]
Do not blow air into your tailpipes. The high air pressure can damage your mufflers and or catalytic converter(s).

Spray your undercarriage completely with the natural solvent soap mixture being sure cover all exposed areas.
Let the soap do its work. Allow at least 15 minutes of dwell time on all surfaces to effectively loosen dirt, undercoating and Cosmoline. Using your soft brush, agitate the soap on known heavily soiled areas. Spray your soap again and let sit for another 10 minutes.

Rinse gently and review your work. Try to remember undercoating and Cosmoline originally sprayed on your car by the factory has had many hours to bake and harden. If your first effort to remove the offensive material is less productive than hoped, simply try again.
Caution: Aggressive scrubbing causes damage. Take your time and be gentle.

Now rinse your entire undercarriage. Using your air hose, gently blow out all areas that you believe trap water.
[eye protection needed here]

Next, gently dry your undercarriage using 100% un-sized cotton towels or non-polyester Microwipes being sure to wipe the bonnet and any collected water in body drainage areas, door jams and sills.

your question sure sounds weird. Strange no one has picked it up earlier.

My answer to your question:

Yes, i do wash my undercarriage everytime i have a bath. Sometimes i do it myself, others would be a cheeky babe.:D

The Shell Station on the way to Taman Kosas in Ampang (opposite the Police Station/Qtrs) washes undercarriage (no chemical) and normal exterior wash for RM12. Looks cleaner definitely but my car stalled while reversing down the ramp.... not sure if the spray was too strong and something came apart or was loosen....

Had to clean to underbelly projects this weekend...will also checked to see why its stalled. Then again my baby is more than 20 years old......

Better to go to an experience car wash which knows how to deal with your bottom like Pussy said ... or go see Daniel for cheeky babes....

Top Bottom