Differential oil cannot be changed on 318i 2004

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rg470

Club Guest
Hi all, thought of sharing with everyone here regarding about changing differential oil. I went to my mech today thinking of changing both the AT gearbox & differential oil today. While there were no problem changing the ATF, I noticed that my differential box doesn't have a drain nut (only fill nut). So for those who are having the same model as mine, don't bother changing it as it can't be changed. I was told by the mech that it seems that BMW do away the drain nut altogether for the last batches of the E46s. Now the BMW differential oil I bought is sitting ducks...:106:

Do you means item no 5:

133.png

Item no. 5 is for transmission system. I think bro rg470 is refering to drain plug for differntial (axel oil). Should check mine to see got this plug or not. Neva change differential oil before, but thinking of doing so soon.

rg470;658697 said:
Hi all, thought of sharing with everyone here regarding about changing differential oil. I went to my mech today thinking of changing both the AT gearbox & differential oil today. While there were no problem changing the ATF, I noticed that my differential box doesn't have a drain nut (only fill nut). So for those who are having the same model as mine, don't bother changing it as it can't be changed. I was told by the mech that it seems that BMW do away the drain nut altogether for the last batches of the E46s. Now the BMW differential oil I bought is sitting ducks...:106:

Cannot drain then suck lo

I'm actually refering to this
MTUxMDcwX3A=.png

Mine does not contain item "5" & "6"

tamade7,
Haha, wish I could but my mech said if I really want to change, he'll need to take out item "1" & "2", which is risky and not normal procedure

Not sure if it's feasible to insert a tube and suck out most of the oil.

The lifetime axle oil got all blacken after ~5yrs on E46.

To renew differential oil, you need a mechanical pump to suck out the oil. Then pump in new oil. that's what my mechanic did when I replaced my differential oil.

mine got drain and fill ports............in fact i just had the diff oil changed just now....80w90 oil plus additive for rm80......old oil looks ok but dull yellow in color....PO must have changed the oil before...

herbert;658889 said:
To renew differential oil, you need a mechanical pump to suck out the oil. Then pump in new oil. that's what my mechanic did when I replaced my differential oil.

Won't some of the oil be remained inside the differential? Mind to share where did you changed yours and any significant difference after changing it?

Top Bottom