Cyclone II

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ichiwan2

Club Guest
Am using 8 pcs already. 6 in the inlet manifold; 1 each in the air intake and above the carb.Would like to know if others here are using the same?

Originally posted by ichiwan2@Dec 10 2004, 11:02 PM Am using 8 pcs already. 6 in the inlet manifold; 1 each in the air intake and above the carb.Would like to know if others here are using the same?
Yeah, how the performance before and after. Improve fuel consumption? How much will it cost?

wah.....8 pieces of cyclone aaa......must be expensive ler with 1 piece selling for rm100++ last i heard.....what matters is the effect..........surely must have better fuel consumption and better performance as the cyclone's supposed to make the combustion more complete due to the swirling effect it gives to the air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber......

Yeoh man, 8?!!must be doing very well with consumption and power. When to Singapore Motor Show and they show me know this cyclone II has the impact on induction.Tempting to get, but not sure about the comment.Enlight us please.Cheers

Originally posted by moots@Dec 10 2004, 12:59 PM wah.....8 pieces of cyclone aaa......must be expensive ler with 1 piece selling for rm100++ last i heard.....what matters is the effect..........surely must have better fuel consumption and better performance as the cyclone's supposed to make the combustion more complete due to the swirling effect it gives to the air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber......
Correct!!Don't expect major bhp increase. It improves efficiency by swirling the fuel-air mixture. An analogy, try drinking your kopi susu without first stirring it (i.e., the the one with condensed milk at the bottom). I am sure you would prefer the one that has been stirred thoroughly. The same applies to the fuel-air mixture.

Go ask any engineer, no restriction is always best...Maybe it might work for (I'm assuming) carb fed e21, but for "modern" fuel injected cars, the pressure of the fuel stream is so high that I doubt some "swirling" air will substantially affect the mixing properties.Plus, if it really were so good and so miraculous, don't you think F1/WRC/whatever racing teams would be installing similar systems?

Yeah, agreed with necc. More often that not, you probably experiencing the "placebo" effect!

it depends on the current efficiency of the engine... if the current efficiency is only 70% and adding this give another 5% or even 10% then u'll say it's good..But if the current efficiency of the engine is aledi at 80% and adding this oni gives 1 - 2% then it's useless...So, more often than not, it worked better on the older engines or no-longer-that-efficent engines...

Actually, current engines have an efficiency of less than 40%...the rest are wasted as heat!

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 17 2004, 11:36 PM Yeah, agreed with necc. More often that not, you probably experiencing the "placebo" effect!
al what is a placebo effect? New term to me...

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 18 2004, 12:48 AM Actually, current engines have an efficiency of less than 40%...the rest are wasted as heat!
yup, heat and sound... that why when you use the waste heat, (turbo charging) you can increase the efficiency.... but the cost of implementation is not worth the price you are paying for it...

placebo meaning 'if i fit this sure got performance gains and improvement...oh yes....i feel the improvement!'............in short....psychological effect onny

Originally posted by moots@Dec 18 2004, 12:56 AM placebo meaning 'if i fit this sure got performance gains and improvement...oh yes....i feel the improvement!'............in short....psychological effect onny
OIC the real mc-coy.....

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 17 2004, 11:12 AM Go ask any engineer, no restriction is always best...Maybe it might work for (I'm assuming) carb fed e21, but for "modern" fuel injected cars, the pressure of the fuel stream is so high that I doubt some "swirling" air will substantially affect the mixing properties.Plus, if it really were so good and so miraculous, don't you think F1/WRC/whatever racing teams would be installing similar systems?
It was design for normal engines to improve efficiency. F1 engines have been ported, polished etc, to achieve the same effect. And at such high RPMs and speeds, the cyclone is not as effective. It is geared more towards your standard engines which have been engineered with keeping costs in check, and operating at lower engine speeds. And I do not think your engines have been ported and polished as standard - unless your car has been tuned already by the established tuners.And beware of imitation cyclones. They are made of lower quality materials and deform easily - thereby increasing risk of obstruction.

Hi Fabian Luv your BBS rims where did you get them, it is indeed rare! Wud luv to have it on on d e30 (assuming I hv 1), do you think similar rims would go for a e21 (I am rebuilding 1 at the moment but the projecty is slowas doing it bit by bit whenever there is extra cash) But I am keen on your rims how much n what size?

Seen them copies in copper colour. Original is bright stainless steel look. Generally original cyclones have its name metal stamped, not sticker. The spot welds are in three dots, I think. When squeezed tight, the centre vanes should touch.

Originally posted by beemer04@Dec 17 2004, 05:09 PM Hi Fabian Luv your BBS rims where did you get them, it is indeed rare! Wud luv to have it on on d e30 (assuming I hv 1), do you think similar rims would go for a e21 (I am rebuilding 1 at the moment but the projecty is slowas doing it bit by bit whenever there is extra cash) But I am keen on your rims how much n what size?
thanks for the compliment...the rims I got was a bit expensive but the mantra of the day was "Oh, what the fark, go for it anyway!!!!"for the E21, the offset may be a bit off... the E21 need a more positive offset.. so maybe a 8mm spacer is required to get the right track width... The BBS i have is ET25...BTW, maybe you can start a new thread to document your E21 restoration. It'll be good resources to be shared....

Top Bottom