creaking window panels

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

beam2u

Club Guest
my x3 is creaking like crazy when driven on uneven/rough patches.anybody experiencing the same issue?i searched the forum and came across many postings about this on some of the other models.does anyone have a good solution?the car rides really well and quiet on the highways, it's only on the rough patches that it makes those crazy sounds.the sounds are driving me mad, please help..........:20:

If we are talking about the same issue I faced (though yours is heard from the windows), then the solution is pretty simple. Is this squeak usually noticed when you are on uneven roads, bumps or going up ramps? I assume it happens when the car's body flexes and rubber seals on the door rubs against the body.

Highlight this to your SA and arrange for them to fix it by using a special 3m tape only for BMW. As they claim.. This will eliminate the squeaks when the seal rubs. They may also adjust your doors as well.

If you want to DIY, apply some silicone lubricant over it will also help but the squeak will always return.

This is pretty common and have heard a few complaints about this before.

Good luck, hope this helps.

plastic joint is giving problem from what I see, bring to SC and tighten all the screws and check if there's any loosen clips

Benedict and Ronald, thanks a lot for your tips!
I bought the car used, it is a 2004 model.
Can i take it to any SC?
I don't have a history with any SC, will they entertain?
Any suggestion for an SC in KL that you have good experiences with?

recently I found a can of rubber lube from a japan product store at 1Mont Kiara cost RM15 only and it work very well for my convertible. Sorry that's the last can however you may try other teflon rubber lube sold at Ace Hardware or HomeFix.

p1.jpg

You can buy the followings from Tesco or Ace
032012hubnlube_750.jpg

anaksarawak, thanks for the info.
Did you buy the Japan product from daiso?

Glad that it helped you, will give it a try.
Thanks!

beam2u;819157 said:
anaksarawak, thanks for the info.
Did you buy the Japan product from daiso?

Glad that it helped you, will give it a try.
Thanks!

Not from DAISO bro but a small shop at 1Mont Kiara, there one at JAYA33 too

You may try HOLTS as its quite good but you need to reapply every-time you wash your car. I just pass the lube to the car wash guy :)

holts-rubber-and-nylon-lubricant-hi.jpg

thank a lot ppl!
i will try ace first to see which product to test.

benedict, from your earlier mail, yes, the sounds are coming from the frame area, above ear level on all doors, i think.
worst is the 2 front doors.
if it is a long stretch of rough road, it sounds like there are a bunch of squirrels in the frame having a party!
but when the road is smooth, it's so quiet.

i really hope one of these cans of spray is gonna do the magic...............

Beam2u,

Just light layer will do, spread across the entire frame where it come in contact with the rubber seal.

For a long term solution, I hear that there are squeak reducing tapes which you can buy and DIY. But I don't know where to find...

benedict, after spraying, is it necessary to wipe down with a cloth?
or just spray and leave it alone?

btw, "entire frame" means on the body or door?
sorry, a bit confused here.
my take is that, spray in across the frame on the body where the rubber seal of the door comes in contact.
is this correct?

The best method is probably to spray on a cloth and wipe over to prevent overspray. Wipe the area the rubber seal contacts with the frame.

good luck :top:

I use inch size sponge as per benedictc's advice and spray on areas where its hard to reach.

hello AS and BenC,

just an update for you guys.
i got the 3m tape installed today and it has done wonders.
you wouldn't believe it but the creaks have dissappeared.
i feel like it's a totally different car, very happy with the results.
the only sound in the car now comes from the plastic in the cargo area, the left and right seat belts come out of these pieces.
they are loose due to the removal of the tinted glass for jpj inspection before the purchase.
i've asked the shop to try and source for replacements.
thanks for your help and ideas in trying to solve the issue for me.

BenedictC said:
If we are talking about the same issue I faced (though yours is heard from the windows), then the solution is pretty simple. Is this squeak usually noticed when you are on uneven roads, bumps or going up ramps? I assume it happens when the car's body flexes and rubber seals on the door rubs against the body. Highlight this to your SA and arrange for them to fix it by using a special 3m tape only for BMW. As they claim.. This will eliminate the squeaks when the seal rubs. They may also adjust your doors as well. If you want to DIY, apply some silicone lubricant over it will also help but the squeak will always return. This is pretty common and have heard a few complaints about this before. Good luck, hope this helps.
the tape

3M Squeak Reduction Tape 5430

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Squeak-Reduction-Transparent-0-18mm/dp/B0013HBOSG

31zNRYNrxzL.jpg

3M 06356 Squeak Reduction Tape 5430, 06356, Transparent, 1 in x 3 yd 7.0 mil (0.18mm), 2 Pack 3M is a diversified technology company serving customers and communities with innovative products and services. 3M is committed to actively contributing to sustainable development through environmental protection, social responsibility and economic progress. 3M Squeak Reduction Tape 5430 Transparent, an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene film tape with an acrylic adhesive, having low coefficient of friction. 3M Squeak Reduction Tape 5430, used in the automotive industry to help control squeaks and rattles due to vibration or wear of metal and plastic materials. Provides excellent abrasion resistance. 3M 06356 Squeak Reduction Tape 5430, 06356, Transparent, 1 in x 3 yd 7.0 mil (0.18mm), 2 Pack features: Adhesive Material: Acrylic Backing Material: UHMWP Color: Transparent Length: 3 Linear Y

------------

Any idea where to get this in Klang Valley area?

thanks

Hi,

RS sells a tape that I'm using it and works perfectly on my E39. I'll put up a link that you can purchase it online. 1 roll is enough to fit 4 doors

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom