Contemplating between an E36 318i, 320i, 325i or 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zaimhq

Club Guest
Am currently looking around for an E36. Prior to this I have owned an E30 and E34, both 2 litre versions. Would like to know from current E36 owners' experience on the pros and cons of the different engines in terms of reliability, fuel consumption, maintenance costs and spare parts availability.If there is anybody in here who wants to sell or knows anyone out there who wants to, please tell me.Thanks. zaimhq

This topic has been discussed over a million times....ok la maybe not that many but A LOT. Try searching the forum first before posting the question.

Here's the 328 ownership experience thread. http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...ownership-experience&highlight=e36+comparison

There was a thread somewhere before with the same question and it was discussed reallllllllyyyy long. Try looking for it. Should answer all your questions.

Just to share:

Be wary of build quality of the E36. Actually the car's interior isn't that robust when compared to the E30...

Other than that, agreed with John - more power!

Hehe, that's if you don't mind paying OTT for the road tax of the 2.8L car. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the m50b25 engine make about the same 190hp as the m52b28? I could see the possibility of saving a good chunk every year on road tax (2.5 vs 2.8 - about 750 ringgit?)

2wenty6;621283 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the m50b25 engine make about the same 190hp as the m52b28? I could see the possibility of saving a good chunk every year on road tax (2.5 vs 2.8 - about 750 ringgit?)

You're only looking at the BHP portion but you completely overlooked the Torque :).

I would say the 325 is the optimum bang for bucks .I own 2 E36s . 318 sedan & 325 cabrio .
The difference is night & day . Would have bought 325 sedan if i know that earlier ...

2wenty6;621283 said:

Yep, you've overlooked the torque. Besides, a M52b28 with M50b25's intake manifold will bump up the horses. Lots of documentations of this on the net. :)

loafer;621287 said:
You're only looking at the BHP portion but you completely overlooked the Torque :).

John_Smith;621429 said:
Yep, you've overlooked the torque. Besides, a M52b28 with M50b25's intake manifold will bump up the horses. Lots of documentations of this on the net. :)

Good info :top:

The difference is torque (30+- Nm) might not seem a lot but it actually is.

The roadtax might seem like it's a lot of money to cough up but if you look at the price difference between a 325 and a 328, it's well worth forking out the extra 800 or so per year. It all adds up if you do the calculations. Might not seem like it's worth it, but the smile on your face you get everytime you floor the accelerator pedals is priceless.

Just get a 325/328. Dont bother trying to get something like a 318/320 and then do an engine upgrade. you might cry.. :)

2wenty6;621283 said:

pls go find out what happens when you replace the 2.8 inlet manifold with one from the 2.5. i had loads of fun with my 328i..

mizhan;621545 said:
pls go find out what happens when you replace the 2.8 inlet manifold with one from the 2.5. i had loads of fun with my 328i..

Bang, mind to share where to source for this? will this retard the low end torque?

i didn't feel any loss of torque.. now, sourcing will be a problem unless your'e very fortunate :)

mizhan;621556 said:
318 no fun la bhai :p

ok larrr tu, boleh naik 210 dahh larrr ....buat apa mau laju laju ..speed kills and HP power burns down the moolahs .. ....

eh bro.. update your stay drive thread la.. lots of hungry people waiting!

ICEMAN 13;621618 said:
ok larrr tu, boleh naik 210 dahh larrr ....buat apa mau laju laju ..speed kills and HP power burns down the moolahs .. ....

yup , 318 is not that bad ..been living with it for past 5 years &
still my daily drive .
just have to be humble at the traffic lights & let all the souped
up wiralutions , SLKs ( small little kancil ) go first....he he he he

Top Bottom