Common problems in the new E60

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmwjunkie

Club Guest
HI guysAny common problems on this model esp on the grey imports? Some are really going for a very good price (E60 525 year 2004 going for RM265K!) and I'm keen on finding out what are the problems with this model before I jump into oneCheers :)

Problem for the grey import are servicing, after sales sevice and no WARRANTY by them. They will inform to you that warranty for 6 months or so on before you pen down on the dotted line. If you are unlucky, after you purchase the unit with electronic problem so where you have the car being check or repair?

be extra careful, inspect as many units as possible before you commit on a grey unit. RM265k for an 04 model isn't that cheap considering that AB had few pre-registered/demo 2006 units, all sold for less than RM330k.

safri;210728 said:
be extra careful, inspect as many units as possible before you commit on a grey unit. RM265k for an 04 model isn't that cheap considering that AB had few pre-registered/demo 2006 units, all sold for less than RM330k.

+ those units came with new engine and MSport body kits/rims.

Common problems with the E60?

-Deflated wallets :p

I'd pay close attention to the electronics (i-drive, various sensors) etc. These can get costly pretty fast.

I'd go with safri's suggestion, nothing beats new car warranty and break in miles done by you.

if you can afford the 250++, why not go a bit more for AB's 06 car. new car with warrenty, free service and some more free gift ;)

A client placed order for 523 for RM323k for 06 car and is a brand new car some more ;)

1. active steering error - AB claims it is due to software revision
2. tyre pressure warning - AB claims it is again due to software revision
3. fine line (dead pixels) on i-drive - AB claims that is 'normal'
4. on board telephone Bluetooth ~ i-drive - AB will reprogram n reporgram n reprogram, until i got hold another friend's e60 and switch the module at Cartrade MYSELF n REPROGRAM and it works. Only then, AB (thanks to Cartrade -> BMW Msia) made a replacement module.

Do u want anymore? You may end up buying another make... haha

Seems like a lot of people face problems even with the NEW cars from AB, the list of people getting problems from AB service and poor quality of service is really long, so rather than spend more than RM330K on a new one, was thinking of getting a imported one for RM240K and then tackle the problems one by one (if there are any)

Anyone know whether the Jap or UK models are more reliable?

better bet is get it from a friend who had most issues done and buy 2nd hand. Save the depreaciation, let the 1st owner be the guinea pig (u shldn't named ur friend that anyhow) and enjoy be the 2nd guinea pig as u pass on to the 3rd..well, u guessed it, the third guinea pig.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I WAS the GUINEA PIG for 11 years, for three bimmers. Ouch!

If you really thinking to get the grey import model, then go for Japan model. Better condition with lower mileage as compared to those UK model.

bmwjunkie;210843 said:
Seems like a lot of people face problems even with the NEW cars from AB, the list of people getting problems from AB service and poor quality of service is really long, so rather than spend more than RM330K on a new one, was thinking of getting a imported one for RM240K and then tackle the problems one by one (if there are any)

Anyone know whether the Jap or UK models are more reliable?

wats the rationale that the UK model yields better power? can you enlightened us please..

Anyone know the E60 525i between year 2004 and 2005?
According to the re-con car salesman, the year 2005 come with new engine and better performance compare with the 2004.
The 2005 is asking for 290k.

right ah!!! 04 old engine-05 new engine.Not to be rude...somehow malaysian ckd always gives alot of electronic problem be it Bmw or Mercedes.I personally think that imported model such as japan and uk are better due to their experience in automotive industry.

For example,a Tamiya scale model assembled by me and a professional.

I also looking for a 04-05 525i E60 also. Those Japan Spec M sport look very cool man. Only issue is that, is it really wise to take a so call 'CBU' model over a 'CKD' AB model with local support? R those BMW expert shop able to help on the i-drive problems? :)

Just be prepared to visit the workshop more often if you buy from grey importers or recon units. If u want to spend lesser visit to workshop, then be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ by sending it to AB and is also subject to if they would accept your car.

smartcorp;212357 said:
Anyone know the E60 525i between year 2004 and 2005?
According to the re-con car salesman, the year 2005 come with new engine and better performance compare with the 2004.
The 2005 is asking for 290k.

The 2005 E60 525i will come with the N52 magnesium engine, which is lighter, has more power (218hp) and torque (250NM) and better fuel efficiency over the M54 (192hp).

The N52 should hold its value better so the used price will always be a notch up to the M54 even when you sell the car in the future.

to add on...its a start engine button....

As to whether to get UK or Japan spec, I would g for Japan specs...-----> lesser mileage and conditions is pretty good... Japs really knows how to take care of cars i guess// Mine is 2004 and only clocks 15,000km....

According to my mechanic, who works in AB (till today) told me not to get the 2005 E60, cos there's still problem (problem unknown cos didnt ask him futher) and AB is having a tough time now... His advice, not to buy 520i and 523i.....only get E60 (525i)...

:)

I would strongly disagree about the N52 engined E60's being not reliable.

In my case, they are plenty reliable.

Definition of reliability here being the fact that it doesnt breakdown randomly causing me inconvenience or doesnt have extraordinary part changes.

For me, the problems im facing are actually some things that some people might not even notice!

For instance, my rear axle is being replaced.

Why? I sit at the back of my car quite often and once i heard a clunk under my seat and it came now and again. So faint that whoever else i asked about whether they heard it or not said they didnt hear it. But i still complained and it turns out theres freeplay in the rear axle and henceforth its getting replaced under warranty. Wow.
Hehe

My active steering is being replaced.

When turning right and coincidentally going up a bump as well, the steering will knock ever so slightly. I complained about it and they couldnt find a fault they could repair so they're replacing the whole active steering assembly. Wow again.

But as far as the car is concerned, it has been nothing but a pleasurable ownership. Long distance driving is a joy and even city driving is awesome.

The E60 is an awesome car. Just pray before you pick yours up. It usually works. :)

Top Bottom