Cleaning tyre rims

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MSport

Club Guest
Dear all,Would like to seek your opinion and advise on cleaning tyre rims. I find my front rims (18" type 193) gets very dirty very fast, much faster than my rear rims. Any good product you would recommend? I used to use BlackMagic wheel cleaner, but not very effective and I have to use nearly 30% of the entire bottle for 4 wheels.Second, is it recommended to use a rim/wheel brush or soft cloth?Appreciate your comments and advice. Thanks.

MSport;432257 said:
Dear all,

Would like to seek your opinion and advise on cleaning tyre rims. I find my front rims (18" type 193) gets very dirty very fast, much faster than my rear rims. Any good product you would recommend? I used to use BlackMagic wheel cleaner, but not very effective and I have to use nearly 30% of the entire bottle for 4 wheels.

Second, is it recommended to use a rim/wheel brush or soft cloth?

Appreciate your comments and advice. Thanks.

try waxing it. it'll remove the contaminants and easier to clean in future.
it's personal preference wether it's cloth or brush. use both and you'll know which suits you better.:top:

The dirt coz by the disc brake plate , you can buy a dics brake cover to prevent all the dusk and dirts from the flowing out at the sport rims.

Wah! like that go for the car spa very worth it.. :p Best leave it to the professional cleaner.. gone with the days of removing spark plugs clean it with sand paper and petrol, then fit it back in.

True? no?

Adding the dust cover is a no-no because it prevents ventilation to our extra hot brakes. Dust is a by-product of stopping the car, the more makan the brake, the more dust it gets. Try flat black color rim for a change.. :wink:

astroboy;432340 said:
Wah! like that go for the car spa very worth it.. :p Best leave it to the professional cleaner.. gone with the days of removing spark plugs clean it with sand paper and petrol, then fit it back in.

True? no?

Adding the dust cover is a no-no because it prevents ventilation to our extra hot brakes. Dust is a by-product of stopping the car, the more makan the brake, the more dust it gets. Try flat black color rim for a change.. :wink:

Sorry, no flat black color for me. I like nice, clean and shiny rims...... gives you oomph even by just looking at them..... :wink:

I agree on the additional brake cover - no good for our hot brakes.

Dono why lately, I "gian" DIY instead of sending to car spa. Econony meleset kot.....:eek:

read in ebc website that their redstuff ceramic pad reduce brake dust by 60-90%

Mouse;432387 said:

.. then they are not telling u the other half of the equation.. brake efficiency reduced by 60-90% :eek:

U see our local Taxi rim all nice nice one, no dust. Their pad is only RM20 a set.. :eek: :stupid:

hehehe... I wash my own E90 too... my 158 rims looks easy but yet still take half the bucket of soap water, the other half for the entire car body.. :(

bmw_wheel_b158.jpg

astroboy;432389 said:
.. then they are not telling u the other half of the equation.. brake efficiency reduced by 60-90% :eek:

U see our local Taxi rim all nice nice one, no dust. Their pad is only RM20 a set.. :eek: :stupid:

hehehe... I wash my own E90 too... my 158 rims looks easy but yet still take half the bucket of soap water, the other half for the entire car body.. :(

bmw_wheel_b158.jpg

That's pretty true ... BMW's brakes are among the best ... the only downside is the brake dust. I can tell you guys that my style 72 is a royal PITA to clean and my wheels are easily covered in brake dust within two day lol But that's a small price to pay IMHO ...

Mouse;432387 said:

when brake is applied, the pads and disc will wear at a certain ratio. ceramic is harder than metal, hence the disc will wear faster.
no pain no gain bro...

elixir;432506 said:
when brake is applied, the pads and disc will wear at a certain ratio. ceramic is harder than metal, hence the disc will wear faster.
no pain no gain bro...

Agreed, I have a Singaporean friend who tried this on his E60 and killed off his disc only to revert to BMW's OEM. It did minimise brake dust but the extra cost on replacing his disc prematurely was just not worth it.

astroboy;432440 said:
//M Style 72 very nice rim bro! :love:

bmw_wheel_b072.jpg

Thanks bro :D but am developing RSI after cleaning the wheels twice a week :bawling:

Top Bottom