Checking Tyre Pressure

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
etquah;449587 said:
Yes, I had read and it says Not Recommended. Well, just to check whether to follow or not. As for the gear oil it is suppose to be for "life" but I was told better to change from 40K km onwards

Astroboy is right about the definition of "LIFE".

I had recently changed the transmission and rear differential oil, despite the car's relatively low mileage. When the oil was drained out, it looked dirty and the axle oil was more like sludge than anything else. Regular oil change is always good for the car :)

astroboy;449588 said:
I have another problem, almost 2 years old car can't even reach 30k km, warranty almost habis lio!! Which supposedly protect me for 60k km, which ever comes first. The car don't get much chance to go outstation family trip because not enough seats :eek:

let me help u la. i *promise* to take good care of ur car and jackup the mileage...

ALBundy;449597 said:
I had recently changed the transmission and rear differential oil, despite the car's relatively low mileage. When the oil was drained out, it looked dirty and the axle oil was more like sludge than anything else. Regular oil change is always good for the car :)

So the moral (for me) is never listen to everything BMW says in their manual. IMHO, regular rotation is also good for the tyres and wheels. :)

racheltoh;449598 said:
let me help u la. i *promise* to take good care of ur car and jackup the mileage...

Yeah Rachel! Let's do a NSE/EWH/East coast/Karak circuit drive of the Peninsula in Astroboy's car. First clockwise, then anti-clockwise. Rotation mah... :D

Schwepps;449605 said:
Yeah Rachel! Let's do a NSE/EWH/East coast/Karak circuit drive of the Peninsula in Astroboy's car. First clockwise, then anti-clockwise. Rotation mah... :D

Opps... sorry! I was imagining other things when u invited Rachel to do "rotation".. :love: :p

No worries about my car, let it be under utilised, to hopefully keep the maintenance low, which includes the tyres. We are after all trying to keep up to our 6-potter friends with an economy class 4-potter model on a shoe string budget.. :D

Yep! be it ATF change interval, TYRE rotation, tyre air pressure, check tyre pressure interval, lubricant choice, highway speed limit or even traffic lights, recommendations remain "recommendations". Its our car, we are the driver, its our choice.. :wink:

So does that conclude the topic? :p

CANNOT! we are here to learn, relearn and unlearn... this is very useful valuable info/knowledge.. so let's continue to gossip share! :)

I must add.. tyre rotation is more towards stretching the wallet to maximise tyre wear. The first few thousand km after every rotation, handling is compromised despite after alignment job.. :10:

This week's S'pore F1 paddock visit trip, I will go hard 230/280 to put in some wear to the middle of my tyres (inner wear still obvious. :(). Btw, I'm on 200/230 now, the bone shattering experience on 230/280 for housing area road with many cross cut to lay 3-phase cables for newly renovated house, is killing my car.:motz:

Schwepps;449603 said:
So the moral (for me) is never listen to everything BMW says in their manual. IMHO, regular rotation is also good for the tyres and wheels. :)

I supposed its more for a safety reason that BMW came out with the recommendation.

For instance, rear camber is usually more than front. If one were to swap the rear to the front (more inner wear), the car's be more prone to aquaplaning in the front (outer part of tire is for handling and cornering prowess, inner part more for channelling water from the tire surface)?? :wink:

To fully gain from the tyre traction, we have to run in the tyre so the tyre surface align itself to the road surface and it takes at least 1k km to wear in. A tyre rotation would throw all these effort out the window and now the tyre in their respective new location need to re-align to the road surface again and this time, might take shorter time but still, handling is compromised during the run in period. Even though discounting the staggered setup limiting rotation on the same axle.

Remember I almost had a big skidding accident negotiating a wet corner immediately after rear camber adjustment from -1.3 to -1.1 degree, of course with DSC off.. :p

Top Bottom