Check Engine Oil Level Warning - RED and Blinking Intermittently

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yohannes

Club Guest
Hi guys, really appreciate that everyone has been helpful and willing to share information with newbies like me as we progress in our journey as UDM owners...Yesterday, I was driving to LCCT from Damansara at around 2:30p.m. Everything seemed fine until the time when I arrived at LCCT. Just before I started my journey back, I noticed the check engine oil level indicator was lighted in red. Alarmed, I slowly drove to the Petronas station and stopped the car. I alighted to check the area under my car as well as the pan under the engine. Thankfully, there were no oil leaks. Next, I tried checking the dipstick oil level, and it was slightly below full but definitely not empty to an alarming level. To be safe, I went into Petronas to get a 1L bottle of engine oil. Currently, I'm using Ravenol Fully Synthetic 5W-30 . Unfortunately, the closest oil type I could find was Petronas Syntium 3000 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil. I bought a bottle and poured about half in. My first question is, will mixing these two types of engine oils harm my engine? Secondly, I couldn't find BMW-LL01 or 04 at the back of the bottle, only some standards for Merc and Volkswagen. Does that mean that the oil will be unsuitable for my engine ?After that, I continued my journey driving slowly to be safe. The problem was that the RED light was still lighted up, and this time it was at times blinking intermittently, sometimes stable, and sometimes dissapeared altogether, but only for awhile. Then, it will light up again and blink for awhile, then dissapear again. I was starting to wonder if it was an oil level sensor problem or the indicator itself being faulty. My car has just recently been through some major engine works and all possible leaks have been fixed. A check with my friend told me that in the worst case scenario, it could be the oil pump inside the engine, but even that had recently been replaced during my recent top overhaul where a part in the previous oil pump was found to have chipped off.After getting home, I left the car to cool down and after an hour or so, tried checking it again. This time, I checked below for leaks and there was none, then I checked the engine oil level dipstick and it was at MAX level. Tried bringing the car for a spin and miraculously, the indicator had dissapeared. It was no longer lighting up. Later at night, the light did not re-appear and even this morning as I drove to work, it did not light up. Now, I should be happy that it is no longer lighting up , but still I am worried about the possible causes. If I send it to the mechanic now, they will just tell me that it's fine and they cant trace the problem since the indicator is no longer lighting up... Appreciate all the advice!Btw, my car is a 318i 2.0 N42B20

Oil levelling sensor

Part Code: 12 61 7 508 003

12.61.7.508.003Hella.jpg

Item 15:
OTk4MzFfcA==.png

Can be wiring also la.. :4:

Aha.. Thanks for that bro. So based on my explanation, you would think that is most probably the cause? Hmm... May I know what is the possible explanation that it is no longer appearing today? Haha.. Sorry for so many questions but I am confused...

Anyway, if it is wiring even more difficult to diagnose.. haha. Any advice on how much the sensor usually costs, and is it difficult to replace? Thanks

I would ignore the fault if possible because you know damn well you have sufficient oil ma. This is an ultrasonic sensor emitting ultrasonic waves and collecting the rebound by measuring the speed of the wave travel and strength of rebound signal, to determine the viscosity/quality of the engine oil and volume. Submarine tech.. seriously, I felt it's over engineered.. imagine by having this, they even remove my dipstick in my E90. There no other to tell my engine oil level.. :(

More write up here: http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...ustry/Electronics/TI_Oelsensorik_GB_TT_05.pdf

Frankly speaking, I used to do that in the past but nowadays I'm starting to get a phobia as everytime the car breaks down, it seems to cost an outrageous amount to get it done. haha. That's why I am trying to be very careful and attend to any problems early in case there are other underlying problems.

However, after reading your advise and the link you posted, I guess this is one problem that I can ignore for the time being till it acts up again. Haha. By the way, since you dont have a dipstick does that mean that you have to trust the indicator 100%?

yohannes;724902 said:
However, after reading your advise and the link you posted, I guess this is one problem that I can ignore for the time being till it acts up again. Haha. By the way, since you dont have a dipstick does that mean that you have to trust the indicator 100%?

My OBC tells me I'm 0.75L short, but no drips on my porch, no wet tail pipe or blue smoke, no oily coolant reservoir internals.. I have to rely on all of these tell-tales to constantly analyse them like Sherlock Holmes on my oil level.. :4:

Faced the same problem last week, valve switch or something, replaced it and its good as new.

astroboy;724914 said:
My OBC tells me I'm 0.75L short, but no drips on my porch, no wet tail pipe or blue smoke, no oily coolant reservoir internals.. I have to rely on all of these tell-tales to constantly analyse them like Sherlock Holmes on my oil level.. :4:

Haha...Nice info bro.. thanks for sharing

firdaus72;725282 said:
Faced the same problem last week, valve switch or something, replaced it and its good as new.
Hey bro, what was the cost of the valve switch?

Today, I finall drove my car for a slightly longer distance again and true enough, after more than half an hours driving, the light turned up again...

yohannes;726058 said:

Today, I finall drove my car for a slightly longer distance again and true enough, after more than half an hours driving, the light turned up again...

yohannes, take it easy, you know there is oil in the engine. Probably it's a wiring problem with intermittent connection. The indicator is able to turn yellow too as a warning, then turn red as the level gets worse. In your case, it's either no warning or red warning making me think it's a connection issue.

Hey bro,

Thanks for the advice. Haha, frankly, I just don't feel good when I see that light lighting up . But anyway, It has been red all the time so I think it could be a wiring issue as well. In fact, I had just installed a reverse sensor the day before but I don't see how it could affect the oil level sensor. Anyway, will drive over to my mech to see if they can check the wiring... =)

yohannes;726058 said:

I did few stuff back then. But not expensive 200 to 300 bucks, probably. Should not be too worried.

Oil leveling sensor is very easy to change. Drain all the oil then at the bottom of engine oil tank has 3 screws. loosen 3 screws then u can unplug the oil leveling sensor.

Ic...in that case it means that if it is indeed the sensor, I should only change it during my next oil change right? Cos Im only 3000km into my service and still have another 7000km before the next intended oil change..

Top Bottom