Calling E34 owners - advice on changing gearbox from A/T to M/T

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
fabianyee;353991 said:
Just look at the engine bulkhead and you'll know whether it's Vanos or non-vanos.

This one is VANOS (got bulge)
S50_US.jpg

This the US Spec S50B30 M engine...:top:

er... ok ...

Anyway, just to update ... saw 2 cars over the weekend ... a 1993 & 1989 E34 M/T.

The '93 has a sluggish engine compared to the 89'; yeah, surprised me ... since the '93 has 24V vs. the 12V on the '89. Also, the '93 interior has some parts broken (reat seat belt harness), missing ashtrays and a very dirty ceiling carpeting (don't know how it got crazy stained!). Too bad, esp. since the black leather interior is great!

'89 was in good running condition, interior is worn, but mostly intact. What I like about it is the torque-y engine and smooth gearbox (according to my friend who test drove both).

In short, I'm going to the '89 instead.

Btw, wanted to check with you guys ... I believe the '89 doesn't have ABS rite? Anything else missing? One thing I noticed is the meter panels... the '93 has digital - but it's broken (missing chars/digits). vs. the '89 having analogue odo and such - which is also semi-broken as it's no longer running. Need to fix.

Hi everybody,

Just to update.

I have just officially "adopted" a 1989 BMW E34 520i yesterday! Woo Hoo! My first beemer!

Now compiling a list of stuff to fix ... yeah, but it's going to be "fun", i hope!

One major issue is with the Odometer ... it stopped working quite a while back; both odo and trip is no longer functioning. The speedo, rev, fuel, etc are still working fine.
I need to get this fix asap. I can't make out when was the last time the fluids were replaced and such without this! Gosh! Just found out that the engine is running on timing belt instead of chain ... so this is also critical to know the mileage!

Wish me luck guys...

Lance ...my fren has that prob with his 525 (M20B25) too... he tried changing several meters...but still problem persists....he was mentioning about some other part that needed replacement but not sure if it will solve the issue...

lance;355450 said:
Hi everybody,

Just to update.

I have just officially "adopted" a 1989 BMW E34 520i yesterday! Woo Hoo! My first beemer!

Now compiling a list of stuff to fix ... yeah, but it's going to be "fun", i hope!

One major issue is with the Odometer ... it stopped working quite a while back; both odo and trip is no longer functioning. The speedo, rev, fuel, etc are still working fine.
I need to get this fix asap. I can't make out when was the last time the fluids were replaced and such without this! Gosh! Just found out that the engine is running on timing belt instead of chain ... so this is also critical to know the mileage!

Wish me luck guys...

Lance..

a few pointers..

1. Make sure that you get all the fuilds changed,
2. Get the cooling system done, change hoses, waterpump, thermostat flush the radiator, new coolant..
3. get the timing belt, tensioner all changed.. one of the forumer here got his belt snaped after i week buying the car... that was on the way to the shop to change the belts..

with these 3 above steps, the car will be fine, till you start filddling around what to change next..

Careful, it can be additive and $$$

As for the meter, could be a faulty meter or SI board inside..
need to test with other meters..

enjoy..

Hi, I m new here. Need your kind advice. My E34 rear bumper on the left corner is damaged and it looks pretty ugly.The sensor is dangling coz it was supposed to be hidden in the bumper, i reckon. Do you think I should change the whole bumper or repaint and cement it?

By the way do you know where I can get a 2nd hand rear bumper. I hope it doesnt cost much.What is the price?

Hi all,

Just a small update - my mech opened up the meter and found some plastic gears have broken (plastic deteriorated). Wonder if these can be "ordered". The odo numbers still run fine ...

G-Unit: I'd ask a "mud-guard fella" to have a look ... just patch it lar... :D

Top Bottom