Calling E34 owners - advice on changing gearbox from A/T to M/T

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lance

Club Guest
Hi everybody,N00b here. I'm keen on getting a E34 but it's quite difficult to find a MANUAL TRANSMISSION version. Hence, if I were to get an A/T version, would it be BAD/difficult to convert it to M/T?Hope that some of the members have done this or can advise "for" or "against" this big conversion.Thanx in advance for your inputs!regards,LanceCyberjaya

what specs are u running now, 24V or 12V ....

If you are in Cyber - Ramsing is terrorising the Cyber hway in his black E34 Manual.

It's not that hard to convert to Manual trans. We have a few forummers here running 2.5 24v, 2.5 12v, 4.0 V8, 3.5 12v, S38 24v ... all running on stick.

The question is - how deep is your pocket ...

lance;353034 said:
Hi everybody,

N00b here. I'm keen on getting a E34 but it's quite difficult to find a MANUAL TRANSMISSION version. Hence, if I were to get an A/T version, would it be BAD/difficult to convert it to M/T?

Hope that some of the members have done this or can advise "for" or "against" this big conversion.

Thanx in advance for your inputs!

regards,
Lance
Cyberjaya

Hi Lance, welcome to the BMC forum.

It can be done, just need the right parts i.e. manual gearbox, long shaft, pedal set & linkages and possibly a diff rear diff ratio. Which version of E34 are you thinking of getting, m20 engine or m50 engine?

wow... super fast replies! Arigato Gozaimas!

Right ... E34, 1995 model ... should be stock standard.
Was thinking if managed to get full set gearbox from half-cut ... can it be a "plug & play" affair? Thinking about external (undercarriage) and internal (cabin interior molding, plastics, holes, etc). Messy or straightforward? (leaving the technical bits to the mechanics/workshop to perform - with me dishing out the $$$)

So, there are a few club members who have converted from A/T to M/T? That's great ... sounds promising.

It's hard to get a halfcut with Manual trans. Probably -there is no market overhere. U can however, place an order from the potong shop.

The other option is to source the parts separately. Pedals are pretty standard. Long shaft - either you customized or find one. Rear diff - you can source. U might need to get a good mechanic to do this. There are a few around KL who has done this conversion.

Do a research in the net for type of gearbox used, gear ratios etc.

Expect a bit of teething problems as you go thru your conversion.

Or perhaps, you can start looking around for a 'converted Manual trans' E34 . I know someone who wants (or sold) his E34 4.0 converted to Manual trans. There is even an E34 M5 (the real deal) for sale !!

535i;353045 said:
It's hard to get a halfcut with Manual trans. Probably -there is no market overhere. U can however, place an order from the potong shop.

The other option is to source the parts separately. Pedals are pretty standard. Long shaft - either you customized or find one. Rear diff - you can source. U might need to get a good mechanic to do this. There are a few around KL who has done this conversion.

Do a research in the net for type of gearbox used, gear ratios etc.

Expect a bit of teething problems as you go thru your conversion.

Or perhaps, you can start looking around for a 'converted Manual trans' E34 . I know someone who wants (or sold) his E34 4.0 converted to Manual trans. There is even an E34 M5 (the real deal) for sale !!

Ahhhh .... sounds good ... right here in the forums? Care to point me in the right direction? (URL)

Sorry - no url.

If you are really interested - go to the teh Tarik session to get to know these people. The have gone thru all the pain - to get where they are now. Tons of experience / knowledge / network etc ....

ayoo no need to go for TT ... just take the 535i guru for a spa treat will do lorrrr .....

no need to waste much time .... 535i is the man .... hu hu hu hu

alll the best ---------

ICEMAN 13;353071 said:
ayoo no need to go for TT ... just take the 535i guru for a spa treat will do lorrrr .....

no need to waste much time .... 535i is the man .... hu hu hu hu

alll the best ---------

Bai - M30B35 sudah history . .... Now running on S38B36 - but problem no end one ... :102:

good to hear another soul in cbj. looks like TT after work will have quite a number now.

lance.....quite a number of manuals around. and like 535i said, there are many members who can point you on the correct path. but be warned....the path is not CHEAP! come prepared with some ghee in the behind.. :D 525i 24V manual should be fun, should be a while before the modding bug bites ya :D

535i.....manyak bising la lu. :D dun poison the newbies... :p

ramsing;353127 said:
good to hear another soul in cbj. looks like TT after work will have quite a number now.

lance.....quite a number of manuals around. and like 535i said, there are many members who can point you on the correct path. but be warned....the path is not CHEAP! come prepared with some ghee in the behind.. :D 525i 24V manual should be fun, should be a while before the modding bug bites ya :D

what bising ?

my comments or my car .... ? :listen:

ramsing;353127 said:

Thanx again to everybody for your replies!

Ok... an update ...

I've found 2 cars...

#1. 1995 A/T 520i in Klang Valley. Seen the car ... engine looks solid, leathers are worn but not torn ... didn't test drive. Comes with 2 airbags (not sure if still working) and ABS. This is asking for RM31,000

#2 1993 M/T 520i in Ipoh (but Wilayah plate). Got ABS, but no airbag. Plan to go up there over the weekend to look see. Quoted RM23,000 - but hoping to get it under RM20K.

I'm leaning towards the 1993 model, as the cost of acquiring is lower - more $$$ for maintenance and refurbishment. And yes... it's M/T - so, no need for major conversion ...

What do you guys think?

Oh ... about the TT - I've attended it once ... i think D.U. area ... that was quite a while back - sourcing for a beemer as well; but timing was not right. You guys were great! There was an uncle with an E21 which has lower spare parts cost (i think was an oil filter) than a Proton, ha ha ha - wonder if he's still around?

ramsing;353127 said:
.the path is not CHEAP! come prepared with some ghee in the behind.. :p

no wonder the Ghee price is high these days .... never knew taukey car wash carries Ghee in his car all the while ....

lance, go for your option #2 - 1993 model, make sure the car is in good condition..chasis & interior, accident free, and make sure the car is has all legal documents & etc..., engine is not really a matter..., coz i woulld suggest you later buy a half cut, at least 525 24valve engine for conversion, keep your manual gearbox, be ready for about Rm10k for this engine conversion.

Good luck!!!

ic ... RM10,000 for conversion; this is siap pasang with labor & material rite?

btw ... how do i know if I'm getting the M50B20 1,991 cc engine with VANOS from this car? I got the geran ... stated engine manufactured 1993. Any tips?

lance;353289 said:
ic ... RM10,000 for conversion; this is siap pasang with labor & material rite?

btw ... how do i know if I'm getting the M50B20 1,991 cc engine with VANOS from this car? I got the geran ... stated engine manufactured 1993. Any tips?

1993 M50 engine got Vanos? Tot Vanos introduced in late 1994.

OTT, Lance, are you from Shell Cyberjaya?

Yupe.

Btw ... I got the info from Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M50#M50B20

M50B20

The 2.0 L (1991 cc) M50B20 was introduced with the 1989 520i. It has an 80 mm bore and 66 mm stroke and produces 150 hp (110 kW). From the '93 model year onwards, the engine received a 'technical update' including VACC (Variable camshaft control) and became known as the M50TUB20.

Applications:

* 1990-1995 E36 320i
* 1989-1995 E34 520i

Just look at the engine bulkhead and you'll know whether it's Vanos or non-vanos.

This one is non vanos (no bulge)
2948_2lo.jpg

This one is VANOS (got bulge)
S50_US.jpg

Top Bottom