Buying automotive accesorries from overseas

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Traveler

Official Member
Hi everyone, Does anyone have any experience in buying automotive accessories from overseas? I am interested to know about any tax that our local Customs may impose on the imported items. In my case, I plan to buy a few items from the US and the UK, and would like to know the likelihood of these items getting taxed at entry. Based on my past experiences in buying DVDs from the US (Amazon.com), I usually get taxed if the total amount was over RM200, but if it's below then usually I don't get taxed. Also if the shipment is over RM200, but mostly books with maybe 1 or 2 CD/DVDs then I usually also don't get taxed (books aren't taxable).I have never tried to bring in auto accessories yet though. So would appreciate your input.Thanks.

most of the items i purchase off ebay (UK, US, Germany) gets delivered straight to my doorstep, tax free. only bulky items sangkut at lcct post office; stuff like rims, front spoiler and exhaust manifolds. even things like steering wheel (incl a heavy boss kit) and boot spoiler were delivered to residence without tax.

ok here you go sir

for items below rm500 is not taxable ...and item above it , case by case basis " if you're lucky " you may recieve it but if unlucky you item may be blocked by the customs

usually they charge
1) 30% of the overall total cost ( which includes the cost price and shipping price ) converted to ringgit
2) another 10% slaes tax of item no 1

and as in pos malaysia, you may need to pay another RM18 for a piece of paper which is called Inbois perlepasan / Pengendalian agen ..here it states Bayaran EDI ( SMK )

hope this helps ...

Thanks for the quick responses :)

mizhan;494016 said:
most of the items i purchase off ebay (UK, US, Germany) gets delivered straight to my doorstep, tax free. only bulky items sangkut at lcct post office; stuff like rims, front spoiler and exhaust manifolds. even things like steering wheel (incl a heavy boss kit) and boot spoiler were delivered to residence without tax.

What shipment method did you use (DHL, FedEx, Royal Mail/USPS/Deutsche Post, etc.)?

ICEMAN 13;494019 said:
ok here you go sir

for items below rm500 is not taxable ...and item above it , case by case basis " if you're lucky " you may recieve it but if unlucky you item may be blocked by the customs

usually they charge
1) 30% of the overall total cost ( which includes the cost price and shipping price ) converted to ringgit

and as in pos malaysia, you may need to pay another RM18 for a piece of paper which is called Inbois perlepasan / Pengendalian agen ..here it states Bayaran EDI ( SMK )

hope this helps ...

I am thinking of bringing in a bunch of LED bulbs and lighting kits for my car (ie, angel eye white LED bulb, interior LED bulbs, etc) maybe 2-3kg in total, bur priced around USD400 incl shipping (for everything).

My other alternative is to have them shipped to my friends in HK (pretty sure no tax, anyone know?) or Singapore (pay 7% GST, plus dunno if SG taxes these things) and collect them when I go there next.

Also I noticed shipping to HK and SG is cheaper than shipping to Malaysia (from bimmian.com in US) by quite a big amount (I think around RM200 more to ship to Malaysia since we are under "all other countries" rather than specifically listed).

it also depends on what category you specify the item as, if you pandai goreng and specify it under certain category then the taxation is lower

feisaldzul;494033 said:
it also depends on what category you specify the item as, if you pandai goreng and specify it under certain category then the taxation is lower

barang lusoh . :)

usually this one is being decided by the pos ppl ..

if want to escape tax , then pay little more to DHL and they will get it right away to your home door ...without all the hasle of going to kLIA ...

ICEMAN 13;494034 said:
barang lusoh . :)

usually this one is being decided by the pos ppl ..

if want to escape tax , then pay little more to DHL and they will get it right away to your home door ...without all the hasle of going to kLIA ...

You mean as in pay for faster delivery via DHL instead of via post?

stuff from ebay i normally receive via normal airmail/post.. only high value or rare items i request to have couriered.

ICEMAN 13;494019 said:
ok here you go sir

usually they charge

hope this helps ...

wahh..bayaa, expert dy on customs clearance :top:

if big items, be prepared for some fast talking or pay duty. small items u can usually escape, but the invoice amount has to be under RM500. if more, then 1Malaysia starts to happen......:eek:

feisaldzul;494033 said:

so u're twinscrew u declared as what to lari customs??:love:

Specify it as Callaway driver... golf clubs are duty and tax free.. :wink:

astroboy;494081 said:
Specify it as Callaway driver... golf clubs are duty and tax free.. :wink:

sorry ah u have to take out from the packaging to show them the item to be verified.

feisaldzul;494087 said:
sorry ah u have to take out from the packaging to show them the item to be verified.

they will provide you the cutter and then you'll see 3 to 4 officers watching you like an eagle ....

ICEMAN 13;494086 said:
learning from the best .... the sad story part 3 is after that .....

eh...got sad story ar?? what happened la?? the turbo u were hiding inside the wheels were discovered ar?? :eek:

ICEMAN 13;494088 said:
they will provide you the cutter and then you'll see 3 to 4 officers watching you like an eagle ....

i think because you look like kali muthu laaa...the few times i went, only one guy attended to me. the rest were drinking their tea...maybe because i wore my torn singlet with my 20 yr old shorts. :D

feisaldzul;494087 said:

this is what you used to tell all your gf's right....hehehe. need to verify your package:top:

from what I know, marine engine parts don't get taxed... ;) act like a fisherman to get the parts from customs.. hahaha...

ramsing;494101 said:
this is what you used to tell all your gf's right....hehehe. need to verify your package:top:
and asking for 'test drive' too....

Top Bottom