Buying advice for 2009

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

capkapak

Club Guest
Hi peeps,I'm seriously considering a used 06' or 07' E60 at the moment but cannot really make up my mind. There's the possibility of the new Audi B8 2.0TFSI which should be launching pretty soon as well. But I'm kinda skeptical with the resale value of the Audi's. So the E60 is back on my mind again.What do you guys recommend, is the E60 a recommended buy at the moment? And with that in mind a Jap or UK spec'ed one?Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Go for the E60 series and if got plenty money go for the 530i or 540i m Sport. For me I only can afford the E60 & UK spec. Maybe in KL should get the Jap Spec. As for me any major repair, nearest BMW workshop is in Brunei & they don't entertain Jap spec.

capkapak;410930 said:
Hi peeps,

I'm seriously considering a used 06' or 07' E60 at the moment but cannot really make up my mind. There's the possibility of the new Audi B8 2.0TFSI which should be launching pretty soon as well. But I'm kinda skeptical with the resale value of the Audi's. So the E60 is back on my mind again.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

bro,
This is the BMW club website so I believe the views are somewhat bias towards the Munich machines. Try posting this in the Audi's website and you will get a very different story!

p/s: read the latest copy of Autocar (523i vs Audi) :top:

capkapak;410930 said:
Hi peeps,

I'm seriously considering a used 06' or 07' E60 at the moment but cannot really make up my mind. There's the possibility of the new Audi B8 2.0TFSI which should be launching pretty soon as well. But I'm kinda skeptical with the resale value of the Audi's. So the E60 is back on my mind again.

What do you guys recommend, is the E60 a recommended buy at the moment? And with that in mind a Jap or UK spec'ed one?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

hey bro..fancy seeing u here:wink:

wow,u're moving from a 500bhp monster to a biggish luxury sedan which is i'd say much much slower than what u're used to.have u sold the monster yet?

needless to say u'll feel very very shortchanged in the bhp department if u get an e60,even the 530i.u'll probably have to get the 545i..which'll give u a smaller transition in terms of power.if u're getting a late model 6cyl e60,the engines are not that tuneable.there are very few enhancements in terms of power upgrades as well..unless u get an early model(2003-)with the M54 engine,u could supercharge it with about 340bhp possible(530i).

supergripen;410986 said:
hey bro..fancy seeing u here:wink:

wow,u're moving from a 500bhp monster to a biggish luxury sedan which is i'd say much much slower than what u're used to.have u sold the monster yet?

needless to say u'll feel very very shortchanged in the bhp department if u get an e60,even the 530i.u'll probably have to get the 545i..which'll give u a smaller transition in terms of power.if u're getting a late model 6cyl e60,the engines are not that tuneable.there are very few enhancements in terms of power upgrades as well..unless u get an early model(2003-)with the M54 engine,u could supercharge it with about 340bhp possible(530i).
Hi Rizal,

Yeah I thought it was you by your nick. How's things going? I've still for the GDB at home. Looking at the E60 as an addition actually.

I don't think I wanna pay that kind of money yearly for roadtax for the 530i more so the 545i. My main concern is that the E60 is due for a change shortly and being at the end of its lifecycle I'm still very undecided. Also how's the resale value of the E60's? From what I gather there's Malaysia local CBU models sold by AB and there's the UK and Jap spec grey imports. By my brief research in newspapers and the good old Motor Trader, the Malaysia local units seem to hold and fetch a higher value than the grey imports. Is this true?

Gosh its a difficult choice really.

Hey Hahn..actually if u're adding to ur STi,I'd recommend the 525i with the N52 engine.would make a very nice family car but get the local model or at least a UK spec one cuz there'll be no issues with the idrive.not too sure about resale cuz I bought mine as a keeper so I don't really follow the market values.

Good to hear u've still got the monster..already sold mine,regretted every day since.

Hi Rizal, the N52 is the newer magnesium engines I gather that is present in the 05 models onwards. Is this right?

Yup u're right.The N52 in the 525i pumps out 218bhp,has a magnesium block with aluminium cyl sleeves.very lightweight and 'zingy'.downside is it's not very tuneable is I believe it's already optimized from the factory.for what it does tho I think it's pretty good.

How's the Scoob scene these days?miss the guys there..more so I miss my STi!!

I've actually been out of the scooby loop for a while now. I don't even drive my car much these days, been busy away for work. But there many new members to the club, the old guys hardly get involved these days.

Hey Rizal, is it easy to source wheels in Malaysia for the E60? Something like the Hamann Edition Race or even the Neez? Any "jalan" in Singapore?

I also heard that the N52 engine makan minyak. Is this true?

Rizal, can you tell me the main differences between the 530i and the 525i besides the engine displacement. How does a 06' 530i compare to a 06' 525i? As I understand the 530i basically is no more in production. Confusing.

Sorry to bombard you with all these trivial questions.

if u're looking at local spec cars,the 525i normally comes in M-sport trim which includes Mtech bodykit,Mtech sports suspension,sports seats,mtech steering and 18" alloys.the 530i is normally Hi-line or standard spec.the brakes are bigger on the 530i as well,which is understandable.
main difference as u said will be the engines la..525i with 218bhp and 530i with 258bhp.the gearbox are similar as well except for the torque converter which is different in both models.

hmmm... actually there is 530 M-Sport for sale at SG Motor Credit in SS20 Damansara Kim...
But that was last year, and I ended up buying 525 M-sport with N52 engine elsewhere... FYI, the 530 M-Sport is year 2005 and still using the old engine... if you don't mind, you can go there have a look

Top Bottom