Buying a UK e34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

robinhood

Club Guest
Hi everyone,Must admit am very new to the UDM world but after having read the forum and threads all of you have faithfully posted, I now know what's the fuss all about.Anyways, I'm in the market for a e34 specifically the touring model. Having decided on my requirements i.e. family size etc. i've found a potential purchase. After viewing the car, i thought that for its age (1994 525 SEi), the general condition of the car eg bodywork, clean interior, engine running smooth, brakes no judders, turning - steering no play and no knockings, no rust, electrics all working are all acceptable to me.Some shortfalls are, 1.front bumper slightly dented, 2.double sunroof not working (but motor running) 3. Driver's wing mirror not working and4.no aircon.Another thing which to me is quite major is that, it has already gone thru 6 previous owners.But for the price that is offered and after comparing with other similar models, year, mileage - without viewing due to distance, I personally felt that it's a sensible buy. So being a newbie, what would your early responses and comments be based on the scenario painted above. FYI, i'm in the UK and plan to bring this UDM back home to KL. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments please.:)

Hello!!! I am just wondering if it is worth the effort to bring this car back considering its age. Why not get one which is five years or less? The shortfalls that you have listed is nothing major.

Yeah, true, get something newer..., maybe E39-M5, get 2 units..one for me.

Thanks.

Robin, u can bring it home provided you repair everything first laa...(repair cost much cheaper over there i guess...) pasang boy kit/rim kaw-kaw..then ship it here...baru berbaloi...otherwise get yourself a newer model..

Have you checked with JPA/Customs? IIRC, the car has to be either less than 5 years old or more than 25. I can't seem to find reference on this at the M'sian customs website but seem to recall some discussions around this.

E34s are decently priced here so you wouldn't save much over the hassle of getting an AP permit, freight, paperwork, etc. Don't know if the E34 touring was ever sold in M'sia (doubt it) but I guess if a station wagon that you're looking for from that era, Volvos are your best bet. To really make it worth the hassle, why not an E34 M5 Touring? You'll be like E34 God here with that beast!

In general, the older the car gets, the closer in pricing vs. its similarly aged counterpart in the UK (or US). Part of this is that depreciation affects the imports duty as well. Case in point - there is a '91 Ferrari 348 for sale at MYR 235k. This is not too far off from the US price of USD 45k and about the same as the UK price of GBP 30k (the UK price is a better reference since CBU cars tend to be UK spec).

One more thing to consider is that cars in M'sia have been "climatized". In most cases, the cars have upgraded AC compressors, and potentially larger radiators to compensate for the hotter weather here (until today, AC continues to be an option for some cars in the UK - you'll die without one here in M'sia).

If you are under the "returning professional program" (you have to apply - don't automatically qualify) you can either avoid paying duties or purchase a local CKD model ex duties.

Unless you are truly fixated with the E34 Touring, I would seriously reconsider trying to personally import one to M'sia due to the various issues above (some easy to fix, others possibly impossible). M'sians are not big on station wagons unfortunately so your choices here will be limited. Dare I recommend an Alfa 156 Sportwagon, if you think a Volvo is too safe and boring?

I read this thread with great interest as i own the only E34 525i Touring here in Malaysia.
It was officially imported thru AB in Nov 1993 by a German Embassy Officer, whom we got the car from.We r the second owners.
So, if u are completely fixated with the touring, and since it is impossible to import one into the country ( except in abt 12 yrs time, so that it is a 25 yr old car), contact me an offer a price i cannot refuse...........

Top Bottom