brakes - squealing sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
When I brake, there is this occasional squealing sound. It happens only when I apply certain amount of pressure on the brakes. There is no sound during hard braking or when I tap lightly on the brakes. What could possibly be the cause? :( There is no warning light to indicate my pads are worn out. So, I am not sure if it is the pads (unless my sensors are kaput). Could it be the rotors? :( :( :(

have a visual inspection if you can,

this means removing the pads from the calipers and measure the rotor thickness, sometimes occasionally some parts of the pads will wear out faster then the others due to uneven clamping of the calipers-due to the floating design,
or maybe part of the caliper maybe too close to one side causing more wear then the other side

your mech will be able to replace the rubber seals at the mounting, where the cylinder slides, and grease it up again

i had the same squeling noise, but choose to ignore for a few weeks, and the same as yours ,its occasion and pressure dependant
when i checked, part of my pads was totally worn and had bitten into the rotors

another thought, it could also be some fine sand of gravel got stuck, nevertheless, its important to have it visually inspected to prevent future destruction of your pads/rotors....

another possible reason.

if you wash your car often, and do not drive and brake immediately after, water collects and a bit of rust develops on the disc. this is not harmful, but may cause it to squeal a bit initially.

Mine has been squealing for the last one week, started a couple of days after i changed to Jurid pads. Is this normal?

Originally posted by MTek1318@Feb 20 2005, 10:42 PM
Mine has been squealing for the last one week, started a couple of days after i changed to Jurid pads. Is this normal?
if you use your car daily, one week should be sufficient to get the new pads to "run in". So under normal circumstances, it shouldn't give out the squealing sound. I think for your case, since the pads are newly fitted, maybe you can complain to your mech and get him to check for the cause of the sound for free. :yes:

Originally posted by Lee36328@Feb 20 2005, 10:17 PM
another possible reason.

if you wash your car often, and do not drive and brake immediately after, water collects and a bit of rust develops on the disc. this is not harmful, but may cause it to squeal a bit initially.
Lee36328, I use the car daily (about 40km daily travelling). So I think any rust built-up on the rotors should have been cleared.

Top Bottom