Brake Light Switch Change DIY

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Terri

Club Guest
DISCLAIMER : Don't try this! Unless you know what you are doing!This was done on a E36 BMW318i M43 ManualProblemBrake Lights on all the timeTrouble Shooting1)Changed all the brake lights bulbs to bulbs bought from Bavarian Auto RM3/- each (Total RM9/-) Didn't help2)Waited for silence then stepped on the brake to try and detect the click of the switch (No click heard)PartsBrake Light switch 2 pin RM40/- Bavarian AutoTrainingWatched the Youtube video and checked all the DIY instructions on changing the brake light switchThere are alot of instructions with pictures on the internet for this particular fixhttp://www.bmwe36blog.com/2008/12/15/bmw-e36-m3-brake-light-switch-replacement-diy/Sunday MorningRemoved the 3 screws on the knee panel (1 on left of steering wheel and other on the right under the ac vent and the last at the bottom near the gearbox)The 2 clips were located on the extreme right at the top on the part that touches the door panel - just need to carefully pull the panel slightly forward about half an inch and the clips are disengaged - do NOT use any strength .... it comes off with minimal effortThen pull abit downwards and jiggle and wiggle it abit and the whole panel comes freeUnlike the youtube video, i didn't have any wires etc to disconnect ..... the panel wasn't attached to any wires .... Using a torchlight i examined the old brake light switch .... the pin was badly damaged and the switch wasn't working ...... used the 1 minute technique to remove it ... i broke 1 of the plastic legs and the old switch came off.... (it's hard to remove and this is the fastest way but it ruins the switch forever)the metal braket is rectangular and has a slot in it to make sure you replace the new 1 in the correct position(make sure you line it up correctly before trying to insert the new switch)You need to carefully pull on the centre pin abit till you can get the red guard slightly above the 2 plastic legs so that the switch can go into position .... wasn't easy and took me awhile to figure it out .....also you need to step on the brake or the switch won't go in .....In the end i stepped on the brake with my left foot and pushed the switch in with my left hand, held it in position, and released the brake pedal and the switch bedded itself in very nicely .......Switched on the engine to test and now finally have working brake lights ........Cleaned the knee panel (had dust bunnies on it) and re fitted it .... All Done!Total time approximately 30mins .....

Top Bottom