Brake Calipers - Wax, Polish or Coat?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

SilverBullet

Club Guest
I'm thinking of waxing my brake calipers. Probably using wheel wax since it is designed for use on wheels which also gets quite hot. What methods do other use? I presumed car wax would not work due to the heat under braking. Would like to hear your thoughts on best way to clean and keep clean the brake calipers. Thanks.

wow...waxing calipers.....an overkill if it is yr DD.
best to invest in the best pads with little to no dust imho....

thanks for your opinion bro. yes in fact it is my DD, which is even more I need proper protection from dirt n brake dust! wanna keep it look as new as possible :)

SilverBullet;852791 said:
thanks for your opinion bro. yes in fact it is my DD, which is even more I need proper protection from dirt n brake dust! wanna keep it look as new as possible :)

Syabas! :top:

I am using Carpro C-Quartz (ceramic quartz coating) on my new Stoptechs as I wanted to protect the glossy red finish. My brother (e34_lover) is also using it on his matte black AP's with good results as well. A good quality coating will definitely outlast most of the other solutions on the market as they chemically bond to the surface.
You will still need to take the rims off every few washes to thoroughly wash the caliper as brake dust can still collect in the hard to reach corners.

maxxsp;852978 said:
I am using Carpro C-Quartz (ceramic quartz coating) on my new Stoptechs as I wanted to protect the glossy red finish. My brother (e34_lover) is also using it on his matte black AP's with good results as well. A good quality coating will definitely outlast most of the other solutions on the market as they chemically bond to the surface.
You will still need to take the rims off every few washes to thoroughly wash the caliper as brake dust can still collect in the hard to reach corners.

hey bro thanks a lot for your reply! exactly what i was hoping to hear from the sifus here :) I agree that a good quality coating will definitely outlast most of the other solutions on the market, but can't seem to find one that can withstand the high-temperature abuse from hard braking. But from your experience, sounds that Carpro C-Quartz (ceramic quartz coating) does the trick! Could you kindly PM me how much was the cost for coating using Carpro C-Quartz and where it was done? Thxx

it would be ideal to take off the rims every few washes but unfortunately time is not always on my side :( good thing my current rims design allows easy access to the calipers...hope not to easy until someone can steal my calipers!

For high-temp resistant coating....you can google some info on 22ple VM1. There are only a couple of places that I know of which uses this brand. No idea how much they charge though. Or you can get it online and DIY....*extremely* easy to apply. There may be other products from other brands but I only have experience with this one (for wheels, calipers, exhaust tips and a few other metal parts).

KrisMas;853011 said:
For high-temp resistant coating....you can google some info on 22ple VM1. There are only a couple of places that I know of which uses this brand. No idea how much they charge though. Or you can get it online and DIY....*extremely* easy to apply. There may be other products from other brands but I only have experience with this one (for wheels, calipers, exhaust tips and a few other metal parts).

Thanks for the excellent recommendation bro. The description below seems an ideal application for brake calipers as well:

"High-Temperature Resistant Coating for Wheels & Metals.

22PLE VM1 Signature Rim & Metal Coat is a glass-based sealant specifically formulated to resist high temperatures such as those experienced by wheels and other metal parts exposed to engine bay heat, exhaust heat or sunlight.

Brake dust build-up, grease deposits and road grime are major causes of permanent damage to sensitive alloy wheels and exhaust. 22PLE VX1 Signature Rim & Metal Coat is a glass-based, high-silica sealant which forms a hard, glossy, hydrophobic and dirt repellent barrier between metalwork and potentially harmful contaminants.

Features & Benefits:

Easy to apply
Resists temperatures up to 700 degrees Celsius!
Ideal protection from brake dust & exhaust residue
Non-stick properties inhibits brake dust build up & makes washing easier
Very long lasting - one application lasts up to 12 months!

Application Instructions:
It's easy to apply; ensure metalwork has been washed, thoroughly dried and polished. Use an IPA wipe to ensure the surface is completely free from any oil or polish residue. Put a few drops of VM1 Signature Rim & Metal Coat onto an applicator pad and apply in a straight line motion. Allow to cure for 3 to 5 minutes, then make an initial wipe over with a microfibre, then buff properly with another clean microfibre.

Once applied VM1 should be allowed to cure initially for 8 to 12 hours after which the vehicle can be driven and washed as required. Full hardening time requires 5 days. Once hardened, VM1 will offer a glossy, shiny, durable protective coat that will last up to 2 years!"

Group buy anyone? Priced at only 42 pounds per bottle. Wish they're sold locally too.

£42 would get you the 20ml bottle and it's more than enough to do a couple of sets of wheels & calipers...and then some.

KrisMas;853100 said:
£42 would get you the 20ml bottle and it's more than enough to do a couple of sets of wheels & calipers...and then some.

yes bro and i don't mind applying some of the good stuff to anyone from the forum who is in need to keep their calipers, exhaust tips, etc shiny and brake dust free too :top:

- - - Updated - - -

KrisMas;853100 said:

yes bro and i don't mind applying some of the good stuff to anyone from the forum who is in need to keep their calipers, exhaust tips, etc shiny and brake dust free too :top:

SilverBullet;853000 said:
hey bro thanks a lot for your reply! exactly what i was hoping to hear from the sifus here :) I agree that a good quality coating will definitely outlast most of the other solutions on the market, but can't seem to find one that can withstand the high-temperature abuse from hard braking. But from your experience, sounds that Carpro C-Quartz (ceramic quartz coating) does the trick! Could you kindly PM me how much was the cost for coating using Carpro C-Quartz and where it was done? Thxx

it would be ideal to take off the rims every few washes but unfortunately time is not always on my side :( good thing my current rims design allows easy access to the calipers...hope not to easy until someone can steal my calipers!

I bought the coating overseas and applied it myself. More info here: http://www.cquartz.com/
They now have a specific product for the wheels now, it's called the 'DLUX'

You are lucky your wheels are caliper-washing friendly!
I am not so lucky :(
1421609_10151843119492423_2142216979_n.jpg~original

maxxsp;853207 said:
I bought the coating overseas and applied it myself. More info here: http://www.cquartz.com/
They now have a specific product for the wheels now, it's called the 'DLUX'

You are lucky your wheels are caliper-washing friendly!
I am not so lucky :(

Alpina rims FTW!! Hands down :adore:

can access the calipers, but must use tooth brush..hehe i did that on my previous multi-spokes rim :4:

nice bbk bro, was thinking of getting the slotted rotors as well since they are less likely to have hairline cracks unlike cross drilled ones :( bbk rotors are damn expensive too!

Top Bottom