BMW Manual Driving Techniques

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
eoj said:
zog,

don't play play .... 1+2=3 STILL is a rally co-driver for a top local team !!!!

haha...he told me at the last PNDC TT.

whens our run eh..??? yearning for anuder trunk road fun??:)

1+2=3 said:
WOI!! no free advertising allowed ;)

ahhaha.. sorry bro, still havent found time to ular yet la.. will call you when i can. and if you and zoggee go for some trunk road drives.. dont forget to call me too ;)

Can I come too? The ular and the trunk road........:p

1+2=3, have u done any pace notes on well trodden b-roads in Malaysia, like Ulu Yam? I wonder if we will enjoy these roads more if we have some simple pace notes so that we know which corner to charge and which are the double apex ones............

Anyway, there is nothing like driving a manual car and you don't need to know the techniques to enjoy driving one (although it is helpful).

OSFlanker said:
Can I come too? The ular and the trunk road........:p

1+2=3, have u done any pace notes on well trodden b-roads in Malaysia, like Ulu Yam? I wonder if we will enjoy these roads more if we have some simple pace notes so that we know which corner to charge and which are the double apex ones............

Anyway, there is nothing like driving a manual car and you don't need to know the techniques to enjoy driving one (although it is helpful).

Can I come as well???

Zoggee said:
I do feel you rainracer....I so used to E30 pedals but when on a manual e36. wahlaueh...a bit hard. but can get used to it later.

Relate your GTV experience Zoggee :)

may i know where is ulu yam? how to go there ?
i have heard alot bout this road can share more ?

1+2=3 & zog,

lets gooooo.....

osF,

my old navigator got pace notes for ulu yam !!!

eoj

i hope some of you had a good time on teh weekend.. i worked thru sat & sun.. bugger.

Btw, 1+2=3

Congrats to ur Rally team for winning the Rally leg in ur categories. I saw you comenting sumthin at New Sunday Time(CBT Section).

Zoggee said:
Btw, 1+2=3

Congrats to ur Rally team for winning the Rally leg in ur categories. I saw you comenting sumthin at New Sunday Time(CBT Section).

oh.. hehe.. thanks man. we didn't do too well on the last round actually(too much drama), but we did enough to seal the overall 2006 championship for our class and thats the most important thing.

1+2=3 said:
oh.. hehe.. thanks man. we didn't do too well on the last round actually(too much drama), but we did enough to seal the overall 2006 championship for our class and thats the most important thing.

Congrats bro....

:cool:

Adrian Lam didnt compete ah...damn talented driver la.

was having fun with him once going to Sepang circuit. Thats the first time I saw an E34 flew...!!!!! A sight I wont forget my whole life.Sumore we were not in the circuit yet!:eek:

Nice Tips bro! Can I hitch a ride next time you drive your manual to TT please? :)

Ulu Yam will be a nice run, but try to be careful in case of ambush done by Tow Trucks since its a popular road for JDMs especially during Fri and Sat late night.

1+2=3 said:
BMW manual driving techniques?? same as any other manual car driving techniques..;) ok ok.. enough of the wiseguy answer.

anyways.. just wanna share a bit from my limited knowledge of driving...

Simply put, learn to drive with normal driving techniques. 1st of all, GET THE BASICS RIGHT. If you don't, bad driving habits can stay with you for the rest of your life.

1. Correct Seating position
2. Correct steering techniques (push pull, cross armed..cross over..etc. all are correct, as long as you understand why and when to use them)
3. For driving fast, the basics is, always brake in a straightline, get into the right gear for the corner, always try to minimise steering inputs, and be as smooth as you can. Try not to be in a situation where you need to make corrections mid-corner, as that can upset the balance of your car. Smooth! Smooth! Smooth!

Heel and Toe shifting: THIS IS A MUST, if you wanna learn how to drive fast in a manual. once you understand the concept, and how it works, you're on your way to learning it, and getting 'natural' with it. Can be heel, or toe, or outstep, doesn't matter, as long as you can do what its intended to do.

as for trail-braking, its usually a favourite FWD and 4WD technique actually, to kill initial understeer, and create a little oversteer. helps the car turn-in better. It takes a lot of practice to get comfortable and natural with this.. in this case, you are unsettling the car on purpose, but keeping in control.

hmm.. dunno what else to say.. except that, best place to learn, is in a controlled environment, not the roads la.. join a grassroots event like GRA, or even R3 Time attack... lots of people there willing to teach, and GRA even has driving clinics, costing something like RM150 per pax.. the other way is track days, but you also need to have someone experienced there to learn from of course.

Also, remember, defensive driving courses are different from race driving courses.

Top Bottom