BMW Manual Driving Techniques

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Rainracer

Club Guest
Dear Manual Sifus, Not sure if this has been discuss before, but pertaining to driving a manual UDM, any techniques that can be used during shifting? Blipping, Rev Matching, Double Declutching, Heel-Toe, etc.... As I sat in one of the manual UDM recently, I realize the pedals configuration is kinda different from the JDM, thus making it harder to execute a heel-toe maneuver. Perhaps a manual sifu can comment and point me in the right direction?

heel-toe is a daily affair for me, I don't see any problem executing it... It helps to reduce shift shock and preserve the drive train for better longevity..

Sifu Fabian,
Thanks for the reasurrance. Can I please have the honour to see and learn in the next TT? You've got PM!

I do feel you rainracer....I so used to E30 pedals but when on a manual e36. wahlaueh...a bit hard. but can get used to it later.

I cannot heel and toe in my e30 cos there is an extended carpet piece beside the throttle pedal.....

so I "toe and toe" due to this restriction which achieves the same although not really so ideal.......

e36 harder? dunno cos no recall after driving zoggee's other car....& burning his brakes!!! soli soli!

Zoggee said:
I do feel you rainracer....I so used to E30 pedals but when on a manual e36. wahlaueh...a bit hard. but can get used to it later.

Sifu Zoggee,
Thanks for the reassurance too. I dun mind getting used to even if its hard, as long as it is possible without being trained by the China Acrobating Team. Can I have the honour to learn for you too? Thanks.

Other Sifus,
Is there anyways to adjust the pedals to make it a little easier?

535i said:
Left foot braking ...
Blip ....

Heel-toe - I kenot .. feet too small leh ...

Sifu 535i,
Yes there is still the left foot braking. However, I personally find it hard to execute since the left foot seems to be conditioned in depressing the clutch. Managed to train the left foot abit using an Auto car, however when it comes the corner still too rookie to perform in properly. Any tips on this?

Rain,

My advise is to understand why these things are done first - then you will learn better......pls dun just do cos the F1 drivers, rally drivers do it.

U want practise left foot braking - come karting.......

Rainracer said:
Sifu 535i,
Yes there is still the left foot braking. However, I personally find it hard to execute since the left foot seems to be conditioned in depressing the clutch. Managed to train the left foot abit using an Auto car, however when it comes the corner still too rookie to perform in properly. Any tips on this?

Jus like what Jules said - need practice, practice and more practice. Go-kart will be the best way to do it - safely ...

In my case - due to my previous accident - my right leg can't hit the brake pedal hard enuf. So, no choice lorr ... left foot braking ...

Jules said:
Rain,

My advise is to understand why these things are done first - then you will learn better......pls dun just do cos the F1 drivers, rally drivers do it.

U want practise left foot braking - come karting.......

Sifu Jules,
Not sure if I'm right, but was hoping to use it modulate the speed better through a corner, try to maximize the the cornering speed instead of just a normal slow in fast out.

Karting is pretty good. Did a couple of sessions before and right after karting, driving the GTi seems so easy.

Rainracer said:
Sifu Jules,
Not sure if I'm right, but was hoping to use it modulate the speed better through a corner, try to maximize the the cornering speed instead of just a normal slow in fast out.

Karting is pretty good. Did a couple of sessions before and right after karting, driving the GTi seems so easy.

u want to do trail-braking for cornering?? so canggih one??? Actually that's pretty extreme which I think is not necessary if your right foot is sensitive enuf to do the modulation. Trail-braking heats up the brakes unnecessarily and not to mention the brake wear rate would increase.

Rainracer said:
Sifu Jules,

Master the art of heel & toe than only u should go to learn the trail braking technique. It should be considered at the last stage of driving skills class. Most driving school in UK / Europe will not teach this skill to their students. The reasons are due to the fact that not many normal driver really need to master it. It is normally tought at a really advanced level which is at the full/partime racer level.

Rgds.

BMW manual driving techniques?? same as any other manual car driving techniques..;) ok ok.. enough of the wiseguy answer.

anyways.. just wanna share a bit from my limited knowledge of driving...

Simply put, learn to drive with normal driving techniques. 1st of all, GET THE BASICS RIGHT. If you don't, bad driving habits can stay with you for the rest of your life.

1. Correct Seating position
2. Correct steering techniques (push pull, cross armed..cross over..etc. all are correct, as long as you understand why and when to use them)
3. For driving fast, the basics is, always brake in a straightline, get into the right gear for the corner, always try to minimise steering inputs, and be as smooth as you can. Try not to be in a situation where you need to make corrections mid-corner, as that can upset the balance of your car. Smooth! Smooth! Smooth!

Heel and Toe shifting: THIS IS A MUST, if you wanna learn how to drive fast in a manual. once you understand the concept, and how it works, you're on your way to learning it, and getting 'natural' with it. Can be heel, or toe, or outstep, doesn't matter, as long as you can do what its intended to do.

as for trail-braking, its usually a favourite FWD and 4WD technique actually, to kill initial understeer, and create a little oversteer. helps the car turn-in better. It takes a lot of practice to get comfortable and natural with this.. in this case, you are unsettling the car on purpose, but keeping in control.

hmm.. dunno what else to say.. except that, best place to learn, is in a controlled environment, not the roads la.. join a grassroots event like GRA, or even R3 Time attack... lots of people there willing to teach, and GRA even has driving clinics, costing something like RM150 per pax.. the other way is track days, but you also need to have someone experienced there to learn from of course.

Also, remember, defensive driving courses are different from race driving courses.

i really dont understand why have to toe and heel when shifting gear ? can someone pls explain
thx ..

1+2=3 said:
hmm.. dunno what else to say.. except that, best place to learn, is in a controlled environment, not the roads la.. join a grassroots event like GRA, or even R3 Time attack... lots of people there willing to teach, and GRA even has driving clinics, costing something like RM150 per pax.. the other way is track days, but you also need to have someone experienced there to learn from of course.

Also, remember, defensive driving courses are different from race driving courses.

Good pointers....

May I ask who is GRA? R3 I believe are a bit hardcore and that not defensive driving.

Do try HPC if you have not.....ask Alvin for more info!

Jules said:
Good pointers....

May I ask who is GRA? R3 I believe are a bit hardcore and that not defensive driving.

Do try HPC if you have not.....ask Alvin for more info!

GRA is organised by Ian Khong (younger son of YS Khong)... It's basically autocross events to promote grassroot racing.. It's getting pretty serious and competitive like the Proton SSO...

fabianyee said:
GRA is organised by Ian Khong (younger son of YS Khong)... It's basically autocross events to promote grassroot racing.. It's getting pretty serious and competitive like the Proton SSO...
firstly jules, Yes, it is not defensive driving, and neither is participating on a trackday in sepang or J-circuit. You will learn nothing about defensive driving there. If its thrills and fun you want, you wont get it at a "defensive driving course" either, but you might at an "advanced driving course", and to bring it further, at a "race driving course".

There are "hardcore" competitors who enter, but there are also people who bring their mum's car. So that doesn't mean entering an event like this is "hardcore" or difficult, or dangerous...etc. etc. (all motorsports is dangerous)
the community is very strong at these events, and they welcome new people all the time. I've seen regular people, learn, practice and eventually became good enough to even enter a track event like the MME, and finished on the podium. Its not defensive driving, but you can surely learn car control.

Also don't forget, you drive against the clock and yourself, and not with another car, so there is absolutely no chance of getting into an accident with another car unlike in a track day. Speeds are also slower.

trackdays are great for learning, but entering an autocross gives you a whole other dimension. The experience of motorsports and competition in an affordable manner.

If you have done many trackdays, and want something more.. an autocross is a good outlet ;)

zog,

don't play play .... 1+2=3 STILL is a rally co-driver for a top local team !!!!

Top Bottom