BMW LED Daytime Running Lights retrofit kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Traveler

Official Member
Anyone noticed this?BMW LED DRLYou will have to click on the Daytime running lights with LED lamps link, as I couldn't get the direct URL to work.I saw it at Ingress for RM800+. It's basically a Philips LED DRL (you can see the words Philips on the lights), with proper connectors, and includes reprogramming your car to ensure the lights come on correctly. 5 LEDs per lamp. I have a feeling it's geared more for pre-LCI e90/e60 and older vehicles, since these cars can't simply switch out their AE bulbs for superbright LEDs (unlike the LCIs which can). It comes with a bracket to install in the little grille next to the fog lamps. Its also being sold in US and SG (saw it being discussed in those forums) by BMW.

We had a thread discussing that about a month back:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?43885-LED-driving-light-retrofit-kit-original-BMW

This is how the kit looks like:

image_43858_big.jpg

And you have to sacrifice the auto-light function in order to fit this day-LED sold in Ingress.

seewai;677325 said:
And you have to sacrifice the auto-light function in order to fit this day-LED sold in Ingress.

Is that so? I got a different answer from one of the Ingress guys. He said they reprogram the computer so the DRL comes on in Auto-mode, and turns off in Off-mode, though he didn't say if the DRLs are on/dimmed/off in Parking-Lights-mode or Headlights-mode. I guess I will ask him again for confirmation when I go back to Ingress to get my front windscreen tinted - stray KLGCC golf ball broke my front windscreen :(

My main motivation in getting some kind of bright DRL is that slow-moving cars get out of the way faster when I have lights on, and I don't want to have to keep manually turning on my xenons or fogs all the time. Blame BMW for making such a good fast car :D

My main motivation in getting some kind of bright DRL is that slow-moving cars get out of the way faster

Heheh like this statement

Nowadays there are lots of road hoggers in KL :) Drive slow and still wants to be in the fast lane. No wonder the traffic is becoming from bad to worse!

In my pre-LCI, I just switch on my yellow spooky corona rings if I want attention, plus fog light is I'm a bit fast, plus head light if I'm more fast.. high beam if insanely fast.. :4:

The LED strip is so un-BMW.. I can understand if it's meant for Audi convert. No thank you! :48:

Nice meh?!
2011-bmw-e90-328i-led-daytime-running-lights-drl-4.jpg

From this photo, u can see the original LCI corona ring carries more character then the cold blue Audi wannabe strips..
BMW-E90-335i-LED-light-strips-2.jpg

astroboy;677797 said:
In my pre-LCI, I just switch on my yellow spooky corona rings if I want attention, plus fog light is I'm a bit fast, plus head light if I'm more fast.. high beam if insanely fast.. :4:

The LED strip is so un-BMW.. I can understand if it's meant for Audi convert. No thank you! :48:

Nice meh?!
From this photo, u can see the original LCI corona ring carries more character then the cold blue Audi wannabe strips..
BMW-E90-335i-LED-light-strips-2.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the LCI with brighter AEs than pre-LCIs.

I think for my pre-LCI, my options are:

1. Upgrade AE DRL
a. Upgrade my current WeissLicht LED AEs to WeissLicht LED Version 2 - USD149 + shipping + tax? WeissLicht AE LED upgrade kit
b. Do what this guy did, using a control module: AE DRL mod - EUR149 + shipping + tax?
Cost: RM1.1K + shipping + tax + time/effort to reprogram
- unless Ingress is willing and able to reprogram the computer to just turn on the AEs when I switch to DRL mode (currently the computer turns on both the AE and Xenons when switch to DRL mode), in which case, cost goes down to RM475 + shipping + tax + Ingress labour charges
Caveat: Will the WeissLicht LED Version 2 be as bright as the F10 AEs?
Pro: If sufficiently bright, this is the ideal config
Con: Higher cost if require the control module, or if taxed heavily by Kastam, but can reduce a bit if I find a buyer for my WeissLicht Version 1's.

2. Buy the BMW/Philips LED bar DRL
Cost: RM850ish + Ingress labour charges
Caveat: Must find out how the LED bar works in conjuction with the AEs and other lights in the various settings.
Pro: Quick and easy
Con: Not the ideal look

I think I will ask first if the Ingress guys can reprogram my car so that only the AE's turn on in DRL mode, then I will go and switch out the LEDs for the Version 2's. Otherwise, I may go for the LED light bar. It's just a stopgap measure for a couple of years (hopefully no longer than that), before the SKD/CKD F30 shows up (eyeing that N20-engined 328i).

ay, I dun like the cold color.. I prefer something 4000k and below.. :48:.. not only that, the F10 speedometer color also no more amber color.. ~sigh..

IMG_5676-655x491.jpg

AB,
I week didn't see u and your speedometer become like that ah? Hehehe, WTF, German speaking some more...

Hi Thank you for the great information here, and I found this LED DRL on google same as your pics' company, do you think it would fit on my 2006 BMW 530i?

Hi peeps,

I'm researching the DRL for the 07 E83 X3 with the intention of having the corona ring ONLY as the DRL. Found out this statement on bimmerfest.

Sorry, can't be done. If you want the corona rings along with the side markers, then you turn the headlamp to the parking lamps position.

For US-spec and Canadian vehicles, the DRL is the inner halogen high-beam at reduced output.

For international-spec vehicles, the DRL is the normal low beam.

Wonder if it can be done? Anybody done this?

Top Bottom