BMW e46 v alfa 156/147

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pion

Club Guest
Hello... Been reading through the BMW e46 parts & maintenance thread and local alfa romeo forums. BMW e46 in this context refers to 318/325 & 328 generally. 1. At this point of time I have the impression that the BMW e46 cost more to maintain than the alfa romeo 156 / 147. Yes or No? 2. I also get the impression that the BMW e46 is as reliable if not just slightly more reliable only than the alfa romeo 156/147. What do u guys think? Your opinions are very much appreciated.:D Cheers...

My friend who's driving a 156 once mentioned to me that the selespeed actuator is prone to fail and needs to be changed/repaired every 3 years or so. New cost about RM3k+

ermm ......i think if you reference the bmw forums and alfa forums it will be biased due to the fact that most ppl would only post if there is a problem and not when they don't have a problem.

So what seems like a lot of e46 having lots of problems on this forim is just not true and if it seems that the 146/147 having less problems is because there is less on the road what more on the alfa forums. I for one do not have any problems with my e46 and so do all my friends who drive e46 which ranges from the 318i to M3 cabriolet, just normal wear and tear and mantainence thats all.

On another note i think the 156 is divine.. a wonderful car, and most alfa owners are enthusiasts and if you are interested in alfa's i think if you get involved with other alfa owners they would be helpful and help guide you on alfas. Not saying that we here would not help fellow members but i just find alfa owners more passionate and genuine ( not saying we are not! ).

Regards

...haha..i do expect a biased reply here...
but keeping an open mind on things :)

actually, i fell in a short love with the 156. traversed through local and foreign alfa forums. did research on it. i read people say the alfa will outgun a higher level E46 even, e.g. 2.0 seles vs 325 and 2.5 V6 vs 328 thingy.

but after i've seen this: http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=489

BMW gets my attention. flat torque curve! woohoo!

and thinking of it, not many people recognize alfa, but most would recognize a BMW straight away... if i'm spending that much on a car, then prestige must come into play.

I have owned an Alfa 156 2.0 Selespeed before I replaced it with an E46 325i after having had the 156 for 18 months/30,000km. In my humble opinion, I think the 156 is not as well made nor as reliable as the E46 although the E46 itself is no paragon of reliability especially if compared to Japanese cars.

No comment dude....

Buy alfa? God bless! :)

BTW, i am a ex-156 owner....so far.....hmm....i can say....speed is the main factor why i choose 156. Other than that....no comment!

i have 2 units of e46, no major problem so far except for wear & tear plus e46 easier to sell vs alfa...

Segment per segment it is unfair to compare Alfas against BMWs. They are both designed to different motoring standards and engineering philosophies. You can put the Alfas in the Peugeot or Renault grouping. BMWs are in premiere Merc, Audi and Jaguar group.

If UK’s scene can be a guide, the cost to maintain a 156 is about 75% more than a similar performance BMW 3. Why you may ask? It is due to the better reliability of the BMW. JD Pwr research give only 1 star to the 156 while BMW 3 gets 4 stars.

Japanese cars’ strength is in the light duty electrical and QC. BMW strength are in robust designs of mechanical parts and heavy duty electrics. For example, take a Honda Accord 2.4 and a BMW 320i. Thrash both cars very hard continuously say for 5K km/month for 2 years while keeping their service intervals about similar 15K-25K km. You will see an extremely tired, loose and power-lost Accord, while the 320i will still be tight, as strong as ever and ready for more fun.

In so far as metallurgy comparison goes, take 3 cylinder head bolts. Each from an Alfa, BMW and Honda. Torque them to breaking points. See for yourself which one snaps 1st . Last will surely be the German one. Or try to source for a very high pressure fuel injection system, say of more than 1,500Bar/22,000psi working pressure. More likely you can only turn to a German one like Bosch.

So if you drive very hard and want to keep your cars for, say 300K km before overhaul, get a BMW. 6 cylinders would be better.

Agree with Voltan. If you cannot afford a brand new BMW, can only buy one car, have a big ego, think that the Alfa will fool the party girls and give you some mileage, go buy an Alfa.

Top Bottom