BMW E39 530i M-Sport Individual Aegean Blue Edition 2003

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bimmerholic;533864 said:
Simple! One poisoned the other of the paddle-shift steering wheel and the other got bitten so bad that he got one for himself too and the poison or should i say pleasure ran so deep that he's feeling the all so good factor about the modification.

Got it? :cool:

bimmerholic,

ya, u got it right...:rock:

kokwei9035;534066 said:
bimmerholic,

ya, u got it right...:rock:

ha ha...been following the thread since day 1 so i knew la :wink: When you turun kl for tt? wanna see your m paddies in action le :)

Reverse Camera Wiring

Okay..updates about the reverse camera...

Latest round of wiring testing is a SUCCESS!

Basically Googled the wiring procedure, and finally after much testing found a solution for it. Both instructions from the seller for the TV module wire harness and the seller for the rear view camera doesnt help at all. Both says no need for anything else, when actually you will need an automotive relay to do the switching of the camera.

This is a 4-pin automotive relay that I used:

4722279832_4d9e8d44ec_b.jpg

Bottom
4721628785_4051ba73e5_b.jpg

This is the wiring diagram that works (for the purple connection Ign +12v source I just used the White/Yellow wire and it works just fine)
4721749011_c23fd81c1e_b.jpg

The diagram translated into a soldered relay (not the prettiest solder work I know, but it does the job pretty good so it doesnt bother me). Only the red wire is a positive wire here, the others are all Ground from various location - refer diagram. I just used whatever wires available to me. The white wire is the one supplied with the TV module AV harness that I bought.
4721629089_69bf5f3621_b.jpg

And this is how the picture on the screen came out when you put in reverse gear (the camera is hanging upside down on my rear bumper, didnt fit it properly on the plate light yet, so excuse the picture):
4721628943_97a9f6e920_b.jpg

Basically the positive connection is the White/Yellow wire and the ground is the Brown wire on the passenger side rear light.

The optional switch to manually toggle the rear camera on is tempting me, but I'll stick to the basics for now. Might do that later. Can see the number plate and the face of the person 'cucuking' me on the highway when i turn it on...he he he.

I think the rear camera came on whatever screen you're on before you engage the reverse gear. If you had radio on the screen the the sound will stay on, only the rear camera picture appear on the screen (I think).

Ran out of daylight when I'm doing this, so will attempt a full installation in the next day or two when I'm free.

Watch the space for further updates.

NOTES (for my future reference and for others attempting this mod):

Connection on the relay:

Pin 30: Ground - Connect to rear light's Brown wire and the camera's Black (ground) wire.
Pin 85: Positive - Connect to rear light's +12v White/Yellow striped wire and the camera's Red wire
Pin 86: Ground - Connect to Pin 30 of the relay
Pin 87: Ground - Connect to Pin 17 of the Video Module's blue connector.

bimmerholic;534100 said:
ha ha...been following the thread since day 1 so i knew la :wink: When you turun kl for tt? wanna see your m paddies in action le :)

haha...

the paddies indeed very perfect in all actions...looks, handling, feels or u name it all...:rock:

seldom go to KL lah bro, but will make a trip there around July-Aug. u no coming to Penang?

kokwei9035;535043 said:
haha...

the paddies indeed very perfect in all actions...looks, handling, feels or u name it all...:rock:

seldom go to KL lah bro, but will make a trip there around July-Aug. u no coming to Penang?

Good to know you're hooked! I know i am/will be hooked with it...but not enough dough right now...

Penang...nah don't think anytime soon bro...if i do, i know who to call :wink:

the wheels are nice but they really need to be refurbished. lots of kerbing marks on it. not mine but the previous owner

Just to share the photo of the car I took recently. A short drive to the beach in Weston-Super-Mare, close to where I live.

4727331561_41266ddc40_b.jpg

4727331565_e082febbaa_b.jpg

Reverse Camera Installation - Completed

The reverse camera has successfully been installed in my car. All working as intended.

Video of how it works in my car:

Sorry about the wind noise, didnt realise it was that loud. It was a hot day, and I have been working under the sun. So aircond full blast when I tested the reverse camera.

Will try to post of the installation process tomorrow when I have more time.

sorry didnt have time to do the writeup the other day. will do when i get back. now in lake district.

had a bit of drama yesterday when the battery ran flat in my car and i couldnt start it in Stoke-On-Trent. managed to jump start, but the car requires an immobiliser code. had to borrow a friend's car in Preston, drive home to Bristol to get the car manual. 700 miles covered in 24 hours yesterday. all that trouble and i found out the default code is 0000. now in Lake District, will be driving up to Edinburgh shortly.

the camera replaces the left number plate light. didnt mess up with the boot opening switch. one slight and very tiny annoyance: the camera includes a white led light while the original plate light is yellow. so slightly different colour left and right. i'll post all the details with pictures next week when i'm back.

An update of my (disastrous) trip: i'm currently broken down in Jedburgh, just 50miles south of Edinburgh. was just crossed the scottish border for about a mile when the car stopped. the intermittent problem i had with the battery yesterday was actually the alternator playing up, probably on its last legs. now its completely kaput. currently in a bed and breakfast here, waiting for the workshop to open tomorrow morning. the drive was superb though before it broke down, really thrilling roads up here. hopefully not gonna be raped tomorrow by the workshop. sheesh.

How much is the camera? I'm still lookin for 1 which replace the open boot button which normally avaialble in E60 Msport. Try to look out if any. By the way u can change the other no plate light to LED as well.

Good luck on yr alternator. I changed mine bout RM400 plus 2nd hand here if not mistaken.

save driving my friend. Also, enjoy your pleasurable driving coz once u're back home, it's a whole different experience altogether. Guess that u're not following the world cup and the disastrous English team huh? Hope u get ur problem resolved.

got the alternator fixed today, quite a quick job by the workshop. everything is fine now. currently in a hotel room in edinburgh, hope all is fine on my way home

new alternator costs £154 (not ori) plus £60 labour and the annoying VAT tax brings to total £260. That also includes a £7.50 surcharge of keeping my old ori alternator. will try to recon it and keep as spare in Malaysia.

Not much of a football fan bro, but sometimes i do watch the games. the english results are expected, seeing their previously poor performances. but the Scots here seems to be celebrating the loss, hehe

oh btw bro initialm the camera is just £24 and the relay £2. thats pretty much all the cost i paid for the camera. in my mod i need the bmw tv tuner and the screen, for aftermarket screen units you can also connect it but i'm not sure about the switching

Haywire,

Great card you have. Jealous la. i just bought a Blue 525i E39 and really interested in your reverse camera project since my PDC not working. However i need to replace my MID to something that you have. Not sure how much will it cost. I hope it is easy to swap.

p/s Pls check your PM inbox.

zidee;537518 said:
Haywire,

Great card you have. Jealous la. i just bought a Blue 525i E39 and really interested in your reverse camera project since my PDC not working. However i need to replace my MID to something that you have. Not sure how much will it cost. I hope it is easy to swap.

p/s Pls check your PM inbox.

bro zidee,

i did saw ur PM but just waiting to get back home to reply since some of your questions needed some research/google in order to be answered. i dont like to give advice without knowing what i'm talking about. currently is just checking all these messages on my phone so a bit hard to do research. i'll reply ur messages once i get back to bristol in two days:smokin:

Okay now back in Bristol since yesterday..had a nice rest but was quite tired today after helping some friends loading a container to go back to Malaysia.

Had a really nice drive back home, mostly clear straight roads. I was driving quite carefully in Scotland, despite what Top Gear pictured that you can drive as you liked in Scotland its actually quite difficult because there are too many fixed speed camera on the road. I mean a LOT! I think from the border to Edinburgh, and from Edinburgh to the border on the east coast there's probably a speed camera averaging every 3-4 miles so I had to be very careful. Once passed the border, back into England where I know the system, I was averaging 180 kmh all the way. Reached a top speed of 250kmh on one stretch, the car was still accelerating and very smooth and not vibrating, no rattling whatsoever but I ran out of straight road so had to slow down a little bit. Man I'm gonna miss driving here.

Spent a night in York and went around the town before I came back to Bristol.

So in the end, in trip round trip I stopped in:

Gloucester, Stoke-On-Trent, Preston, Windermere, Keswick and Penrith (Lake District), Carlisle, visited Hadrian Wall, Jedburgh, Edinburgh, York, Nottingham, and Birmingham.

Driving in Edinburgh is an absolute nightmare at the moment since they are installing a new tram system, and the roads are completely changed with various one way system. My GPS was going crazy trying to lead us to the hotel. Once parked we went by foot, too much of a hassle to drive round the city.

Definitely a journey to remember.

I'll try writing up the reverse camera installation soon.

Top Bottom