Be careful with the fuel cap

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

k3nny

Club Guest
Just wanted to share a story with fellow E60 owners.Last night whilst riding in a friends E60, we stopped by to get some gas.We both got out of the car and i headed to the toilet whilst he headed to the store to draw some money from the ATM whilst the pump was pumping the fuel.Of course we locked the car as our laptops were in the boot.Whilst i was in the toilet and he was drawing his cash, the tank was already full. So the pump attendant took out the fuel filler, capped the fuel tank and TRIED TO CLOSE the fuel tank door.Earlier when we locked the car, a little stick that is supposed to LOCK the fuel filler door came out.Now that the car IS STILL LOCKED and he tried to close the fuel filler door, it wouldnt go in due to that little stick sticking out.So the pump attendant forced it and the little stick bent and semi snapped.So when my friend came out and unlocked the car, since the stick is bent and half broken, it wouldnt retract back in so we drove off with his fuel filler cap looking slightly open.He said hed go home and cut it off with a wirecutter and just live with his fuel filler cap not being locked when he locks the car but just a heads up for all E60 owners (and potentially other BMW models?)

I dont think the fault is with the pump attendant.

Your fried should have never left the car unattended while its refueling.

Even my e34, 1990 has this feature, and yes mate, your buddy should never leave the car unattended, especially when its pumping fuel.....so dangerous!

Can't blame the fuel pump attendant as he may not know the different features that different cars may have. It sounded just right for him to close the fuel tank door, forcing it to close is another different story.
Leaving the E60 unattended? Wow, I wouldn't do that if I were your friend... I would never leave my older E36 unattended ;)

I would suggest that your friend get the fuel tank little stick fixed soonest possible. Leaving the fuel tank not being locked could bring another bigger disaster.

Good luck mate

Actually the design could be better. The plunger and ear could have been designed such that when the plunger is out, it is springloaded such that the fuel filler lid can snap shut against the spring but when locked, it cannot be prised open. I believe some cars have these.

I am surprised that for an overengineered car, BMW cannot do this simple design.

Yup, he didnt blame the fuel attendant. Wasnt the fault of the fuel attendant at all. Was just surprised, as saat put it, that this could happen because according to him, with his previous Accord, he could lock the car and still snap shut the fuel filler door which was spring released?

Like a one way catch of some sort. Can go in cannot come out. Unlike the BMW design which cant go in OR out when locked.

But the thing is Audi uses the same design. Im not sure about BM but ill pay some attention and see.

With Audi, its a little METAL STICK. Imagine forcing that.

But i do leave my car unattended too when refuelling to get money, use toilet. If the car is locked, nothing wrong what.

All that can happen is they can take out the fuel filler and pour it into a bottle and steal some fuel from you but chances of that are slim.

Or someone could sabo your car and pour water into your tank? Unlikely too.

So why not if the car is locked?

But ive experimented yesterday. If you lock your car, and the stick comes out, you can actually push it in with very minimal force and then the fuel pump attendant can close it. It will still function normally after that when unlocking and relocking.

i blame it on the dang engineer who designed the E60 fuel cap locking system... because of him we all cant let the banglas fill up our tanks while we take a piss

It could have been worst.. imagine the bangla's boss just cut his salary, so he pissed off and drop sand into you fuel tank..

Still, imagine driving to a kiosk in a no so peaceful country and you wish to just wind down the window a bit to get the pump attendant to fill up for u. He can't open your fuel cap without u unlocking all DOORS!! :eek:

Soon designers and engineers got to go to Bangla Engineering College, to learn to design bangla-proof appliances.

astroboy;429849 said:
It could have been worst.. imagine the bangla's boss just cut his salary, so he pissed off and drop sand into you fuel tank..

Still, imagine driving to a kiosk in a no so peaceful country and you wish to just wind down the window a bit to get the pump attendant to fill up for u. He can't open your fuel cap without u unlocking all DOORS!! :eek:

Astroboy, you speak right to the point! I wonder what is on their mind when they design this fuel cap..... one could end up having "friendly" passengers the second they unlock all doors trying to fill up the tank. I was in Sungai Buloh toll one night and when I finish pumping and try to get onto the car, a guy with helmet on walk straight towards me. Luckily I manage to get onto the car and lock it on time or he would have got onto the passenger seat the same time I put my hands on the steering...... that guy who saw me lock the car immediately turn back and jump onto his motorcycle, drive to the darker area and disappear, perhaps looking for the next victim ......? Or is he looking for another BMW for he knows we need to unlock all doors to fill up the tank? YAKS!

you can get it replaced, quite some costs + a good experience not to leave car unattended with people who have no idea of good cars' details. It is almost like asking a valet car driver (who had never driven a key-fob / push start car) to start the car, he may probably end up breaking the key-fob trying to start the car.

Top Bottom