BCM's Ultimate E90 Member Registry...pls add yourself

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Was invited but I had other things on, Cobra Kai. Anything interesting to report? Any offers and such? They said drinks, canapes and dinner were on the house, including ear/eye candy like jazz band and models. :p

BTW, you're the first forumer to actually take delivery of a 325i Sports. How are you finding it in day-to-day use? I'm still waiting for mine. The SA tried to entice me to take earlier delivery of one with black upholstery, but I'm not in a great hurry. ;)

Schwepps;213775 said:
Was invited but I had other things on, Cobra Kai. Anything interesting to report? Any offers and such? They said drinks, canapes and dinner were on the house, including ear/eye candy like jazz band and models. :p

BTW, you're the first forumer to actually take delivery of a 325i Sports. How are you finding it in day-to-day use? I'm still waiting for mine. The SA tried to entice me to take earlier delivery of one with black upholstery, but I'm not in a great hurry. ;)
Was a good night Schweppes. Crowd was bigger than I expected - probably around 300 people. A very weird dance routine to start off with, then some stilted speeches by the CEO of Auto Bavaria and GM service manager. Food was quite good, jazz band average and jewellery models quite easy on the eye...They had the new M5, M4 & E90 325i Convertible in, so spent a bit of time checking all of those out. Definitely some ideas for the next upgrade :) Some nice gifts at the end of the night too - a chunky BMW keyring and BMW pen. Also got my SA to sneak me some BMW magazines to read over the weekend too :)

I know I've been a bit remiss in not providing an update on my new ride, but been too busy enjoying it over the last few weeks :). Still running it in, so haven't taken it much past 180 km/h yet. Also searching for a good road to test it out on, so any recommendations welcome. Hit 2,000 km yesterday, so ready to really let loose now. It's definitely a great car in day to day use - the handling is noticably superior than my E46 in NZ and the RX8 I was driving when I got here, but the suspension is quite stiff and I'm in a constant state of alert trying to avoid the numerous potholes / bumps on Malaysian roads.

The GPS is proving very handy. It's not always the most accurate, but for a newcomer to KL it's very handy in learning my way around. Fuel consumption is quite reasonable - been averaging 12.1 l/100km through a mix of highway and city driving.

Haven't really added too much to car yet - I put Vkool Elite on the windscreen and Vkool 40 around the sides and back. I know it's not quite compliant but I need the extra protection due to the black interior and exterior. Luckily it's parked indoors most of the time so have not had any issues with heat yet. I took it to Carnauba yesterday to get a full polish at around RM300, so it's looking nice and sparkly again :) One thing to note is the amount of brakedust I get here is much more than NZ, so the rims get a "smoky" look very quickly. Luckily on a black car it blends into the overall dark look very nicely - should be ok on SG, but would require regular (2-3 days) cleaning on a lighter silver.

In summary, plus points for me are:
- Overall look of the car with the sports package
- Handling (really liking the M-series steering wheel)
- Pickup from a standing start and strong braking
- Convenience of GPS
- Reasonable fuel consumption (although I am comparing to an RX8)

Negatives:
- Stiff ride, so constantly worried about potholes and big bumps (this could just be me getting used to Malaysian roads...)
- Speaker system could be a bit better (although I haven't really tested it out fully yet)

Overall, 1 very happy UDM customer :) Let me know if you have any specific questions I haven't covered. Not nearly as technically gifted as KL2DC, JPB & other forumers but happy to give a layman's update...

CK

Cobra Kai, I believe it will help a lot if you change your current ride RFT to normal tyres. The ride will not be that stiff like now. I have changed mine and I will let u feel it when we meet. I'm sure u would love it.

David Yong;213794 said:
Cobra Kai, I believe it will help a lot if you change your current ride RFT to normal tyres. The ride will not be that stiff like now. I have changed mine and I will let u feel it when we meet. I'm sure u would love it.

Thanks David. Would definitely be keen to check out some alternative options, although bank account is looking a bit depleted at the moment :(

I am a bit undecided as to what to do on the tyres at the moment. On one hand, I'm a bit worried about putting a spare somewhere if I were to change. On the other, the RFT on the RX8 blew out last week on my wife, the RFT kit didn't prove much use and ended up having to get it towed back from KLIA to Shah Alam.

Would be good to see how yours ride and what the estimated cost of change would be.

CK, thanks for the excellent update on your 325i Sports!

There are many interesting drives in Malaysia. Personally, I like the twisty Ampang Pecah road, Simpang Pulai mountain highway, and straight flat highway to Kuantan. When I get my ride, I'm going to do the loop: across west-east, north, across east-west, south. I love doing that, breaking journey to overnight in nice places 2 or 3 times.

Nothing's going to help much in a blowout situation, neither RFT nor repair kit. Nothing except a good old-fashioned spare that is! :D I think without a spare, it's imperative to keep the AAM membership paid up and to have a few extra trustworthy towtruck nos handy. Getting into trouble out in the real boondocks is still worrying though.

2 more questions:
On car - I found the i-Drive easy and intuitive during the test-drive. How do you find it in daily use?
On self - If you don't mind my asking, are you a Malaysian or Expat cobra? :)

2 more questions:
On car - I found the i-Drive easy and intuitive during the test-drive. How do you find it in daily use?

Just as easy. Love the feedback on the controller as it makes it easy to know what you're doing. I generally leave it on the OBC screen on the left with a map on the right (normally 200m range so I can get some bearings as to where I am). Downsides I have found so far:

- Can sometimes be a bit slow to respond, especially when the car is first turned on (maybe I'm just impatient...). Would also be nice if you could save a default setting, rather than starting at the menu every time.
- I'm not too familiar with local roads, but the routing isn't the greatest. I drive from Shah Alam to KL every day during rush hour, and even when I'm near the NKVE it will direct me to turn back and use the Federal. Guess this is to be expected in the first generation GPS. Also would hope the next gen includes building numbers, and a way to search the information service a bit better. Currently the information service lists by proximity, so for example, if I am in Shah Alam and want to go to a hotel in KL, I have to browse through all the Shah Alam hotels before getting to the KL ones.
- Would be nice if the DVD and TV options were enabled. Haven't really had time to look into this though.
- PDC screen occasionally doesn't reset itself when moving from R to D. Not a big issue, but just annoying to have to push the button to turn it off.
- Some of the street addresses have been shortened, which can make it hard to search. For example, was driving to a friend's house and wanted to test it out. Street name was Jalan Tempua, but was in the GPS only as Jalan T due to the section numbering in Shah Alam.

Overall, very happy with it and glad I forked out the extra money. Being the first gen there is plenty of room for improvement though.

On self - If you don't mind my asking, are you a Malaysian or Expat cobra?

I'm an expat, my wife and daughter are Malaysians. Just moved here from New Zealand in late January, but have been visiting regularly over the last 10-15 years.

Phew! Almost missed the end of the Spanish GP! :eek: Interesting report CK, thanks. Yes, satnav is rather new in the Malaysian context and has some ways to go yet.

From the way you talked about our potholes, guessed that you were an expat. Having grown up with potholes, we can avoid them with our eyes closed :) I grant you that the Christchurch-Mount Cook-Queenstown drive is without peer, but we have some stunning mountain roads too, especially up north. Suggest that you go on a driving holiday and just explore. One highway nearby where you can test terminal speed is the Guthrie Corridor Expressway as it nears the Rawang exit. You can access it from Shah Alam and from Rawang you can try the Ampang Pecah or Batang Berjuntai roads. All these are relatively traffic free at certain times of the day. Have a good one! ;)

Schwepps,JP,E46ganatics...

hey you guys wanna go for drive with endless corners? OSflanker,Fabian and me love to be your guides.

Zoggee;213837 said:

hey you guys wanna go for drive with endless corners? OSflanker,Fabian and me love to be your guides.

Wow... I would love to follow too... wanna learn from u guys :)

David Yong;213841 said:
Wow... I would love to follow too... wanna learn from u guys :)

Oh yeah...you too.

David, you too.:cool: I heard from BMW Head instructor of Malaysia that you really enjoyed the defensive driving thingy. Cool right? SO next time if you wanna drive your car..please salute your car.

If you guys really wanna go for a drive..why not? :cool:

Zoggee;213837 said:

Hey that's a great idea zoggee...perhaps you could start a dedicated thread or section with a listing of recommended drives and day trips with details, pictures, points of attractions, tips etc. :)

It'd help old and new UDM drivers alike appreciate their cars even more....

DSC04665pSmall.jpg

KL2DC...

even today Osflanker,Fabian and Ah Lian guides some other makes to a drive.they love the road...the endless corners.

Zoggee;213850 said:
KL2DC...

even today Osflanker,Fabian and Ah Lian guides some other makes to a drive.they love the road...the endless corners.

Oh I'm aware of your guided tours but I was thinking something for folks who want to do a self-guide tour, at their own pace and schedule...also for those scared to come out and play with you :p but still want to drive the 'endless corners' as well...

Zoggee;213843 said:
Oh yeah...you too.

David, you too.:cool: I heard from BMW Head instructor of Malaysia that you really enjoyed the defensive driving thingy. Cool right? SO next time if you wanna drive your car..please salute your car.

If you guys really wanna go for a drive..why not? :cool:

Yeah, it was really very fun. In fact I enjoy playing more than learning:cool: hehehehe....

Hai CK, 2 more questions about your 325i Sports:

- Does the satnav map-base include Singapore and Bangkok?
- Which RFT tyres did yours come with?

Zoggee;213837 said:

Wah thanks for the offer. Looks enjoyable from the video sample. Pace wise, it looks brisk but not reckless, so thats good. I just hope I can find time to do it once its all organized.

Hai CK, 2 more questions about your 325i Sports:

- Does the satnav map-base include Singapore and Bangkok?

I believe Singapore is covered but not Bangkok. When I zoom out I can go as far as the Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore, but not Thailand.

- Which RFT tyres did yours come with?

The standard ones for the Sports model. Cannot remember the exact brand name & model, but I the dimensions are 255/55/18. Pic I took of the rims last night is attached.

Cool, CK. Having Singapore is definitely useful and I'm sure one can load up Thailand if necessary. :cool: Tyres I can ask my SA what mine will be shod on. Just curious. :p

Cheers and enjoy your ride!

CK, if not mistaken, your rears are 255/35/18s not 255/55/18 as you've stated (sidewall would've been too high). Your fronts should follow the 225/40/18s standard E90 18" staggered sizing.

Top Bottom