Battery indicator come out

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

klise0501

Club Guest
Dear all,Need your help.My e46 325i.If i press the accelerate until 2500 rpm to the top.Why the battery indicator light come out?But, under 2500 rpm, not come out.Until i let it down under 2500, the light is lost.

better check ur alternator if not..ur car will breakdown in the middle of nowhere..which i did ...

klise0501;752429 said:
Dear all,
Need your help.
My e46 325i.
If i press the accelerate until 2500 rpm to the top.
Why the battery indicator light come out?

But, under 2500 rpm, not come out.
Until i let it down under 2500, the light is lost.

NORMALLY, the light will come "ON" when the RPM is low.. (If your alternator is the problem)

You seem to have the reverse effect.

mmmm.... Another interesting and unusual problem faced by you..

Your battery light is coming on at high rpm due the alternator regulator brushes bouncing. Causes for the brush bounce is:

A) worn brushes due to mileage or worn due to contamination (ie spilled oil, transmission, or brake fluid into alternator)
B) High engine vibration: rear alternator mounting bracket loose or engine mount problem.
C) Loose belt, high rpm causes the belt to slip.

The battery light will come on more often as the brushes get shorter.

What Astroboy said... but with one exception like mine...

ive changed the Battery to have higher amperage for Sound System purposes so im stuck with Battery light check i call it... TRLD (The Red Light of Doom) :p

From BMW WDS.

BSD interface to the alternator
The alternator with BSD interface can actively communicate with the engine control unit. The alternator is not linked to the charge indicator lamp, only to the engine control unit. The alternator can detect a variety of faults.

Function
The following functions have been implemented in the engine control unit for the alternator with BSD interface:

-Activating/deactivating the alternator on the basis of appliable parameters

-Specification of the maximum permitted degree of utilisation of the alternator

-Control of the alternator's load response

-Calculation of the alternator moment degree of utilisation

-Diagnosis of the data line between the alternator and the engine control

-Filing of alternator faults in the defect code memory

Activating the load control lamp in instrument cluster via CAN

In comparison to alternators used so far, the display strategy of the load control lamp does not change when the alternator with BSD interface.

The basic function of the alternator is also ensured if the communication between the alternator and the engine control is interrupted.

Possible faults
The following possible faults can be distinguished from fault entries:

High temperature control: The alternator is overloaded; to be safe, the alternator voltage is reduced until the alternator has cooled down again. The charge indicator lamp does not light up.

-Mechanical fault: The alternator is mechanically blocked or the belt drive has failed.

-Electrical fault: Exciter diode defect, excite interruption, overvoltage due to controller defect.

-Communication failure: Line defect between the engine control and alternator.

The following cannot be detected: Coil interruption or short-circuit

Battery charge indicator lamp
The signal for the charge indicator lamp to light up is transferred across CAN to the instrument cluster. The charge indicator lamp lights up if there is mechanical and electrical fault (see above).

Detection
The above-mentioned calculation of the alternator moment and the rate of utilisation of the alternator are heavily dependent on the type (performance) and manufacturer.

This is why the alternator provides the engine control with this data. The engine control adapts its calculation and set values to the exact type.

Aim
The precise calculation of the alternator moment and control of the load response function enables good idling of the engine.

Control of the alternator voltage based on nominal values from the engine control enables a good charge balance of the battery.

Look like your alternator maybe giving too much Voltage Output.

You can use the OBD Special Function to check the voltage output if you do not a voltmeter.

Then based on the above, I conclude my problem is caused by the alternator charge/voltage/amp sent to the Battery + Current usage VS Battery Charging requirement are not tally. Thus the Car thinks that the alternator is faulty because of the low output vs usage sent to the battery/Car :(

I've tried switching to the standard battery and in just a few minutes the battery warning sign is gone. But then my Sound system sucks too...

I still think its his Alternator -Voltage Regulator (copper brush and regulation system) that is faulty instead... cause it make sense when you speed up, the alternator will speed up too; sending fluctuation faster thus the warning sign is imminent when on high RPM.

Check this part first (it cost the least)

Voltageregulaltor03.jpg

Voltageregulaltor02.jpg

Voltageregulaltor01.jpg

The parts can be obtained from online shops such as ebay/pelican parts :)

Good luck bro

BTW Refurbished alternator are basically change of regulator, brushes and cleaning the alternator it self... so why not DIY and save.

Tq all...
I will try one by one.

Maybe the first, i will try to change the regulator.
I have a feel with the regulator.
Maybe change it first and see what will happen after that.
Hehe...

Top Bottom