Battery drain very fast

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ken007;519804 said:
When you jump start it, the alternator is constantly charging up the battery hence when you reaches the battery shop it already fully charge. If the alternator is not charging, a battery icon will pop up in the dash meter. You can measure with a volt meter when the car is sucessfully started should show 13-13.7v. Turn on head light, radio and wiper you will notice voltage drop to below 12v and slowly the alternator charging will increase the voltage to above 13v.This show the alternator is charging and is good.

The amper is needed to crank start the car.Check the rating on battery something like 60 or 70Ah.At least 70% of battery Ah is needed to crank start the car.when the car cannot be start, connect the battery tester will tell you whether the battery is in good condition.For all BMW car when ah drop below certain low level.You can't start the car at all not even a cranking sound. This is to prevent the electronic system being damage by low starting voltage and ah.

For BMW car because the whole electrical system is constantly drawing high load from the battery hence only replace those premium brand battery.Other asia brand battery will not last and at the most give you 1 year life span.

Thank you for giving so much information. after jump start drive to the battery shop to check my battery have 82Ah and i think this is very good (i did not notice the voltage). for your information my battery is BOSCH DIN88 S5 series.

sewell;519863 said:
Thank you for giving so much information. after jump start drive to the battery shop to check my battery have 82Ah and i think this is very good (i did not notice the voltage). for your information my battery is BOSCH DIN88 S5 series.

ok now assume the alternator and battery is good. Next is to check battery drain.After we use remote to lock our car.For the next few min the car still in active mode before going to sleep mode.There are a light on the gear shift to indicate that.Make sure it go off.If you suspect the trunk and glove compartment light does not switch off after leaving the car.Either remove the bulb or fuse for those light and test for few day whether car still cannot be start.The fuse is inside the glove compartment.

i have the same problem with my car, unker j.... wonder if you can help me too...
my last battery totally gone in 7 months. :((

ah lian;519997 said:
i have the same problem with my car, unker j.... wonder if you can help me too...
my last battery totally gone in 7 months. :((

It quite unusual for a battery to last 7 months. for BMW, the battery is located at the back (cooler place). it should last you more than 3 years. In fact most of my car battery last 4 years before I change it.

However, some car located the battery in the engine compartment. Due to the heat, the life span is reduce. On average, they should last on average of 1.5 to 2 years.

Pertaining to your problem, your lifespan of the battery is reduced due to the following:-
1. Low electrolyte (battery water)
2. Wrong Specific gravity of the acid (sometime acid is spilled but just add water instead of acid)
3. Wrong rating of the battery (undersized)
4. Overcharging by alternator (cause by faulty voltage regulator of the alternator). if the battery is overcharge, the lead plates would have formation of oxidation reducing its lifespan.
5. Alternator not charging properly due to worn out carbon brush.
6. Defective battery due to manufacturing.

BTW, most battery carry a 1 year warranty. It failed within the year, maybe you should claim for a replacement from the shop that you buy.

ah lian.. how can I help?

i am not sure, but i need help to check out (eliminate) some of the causes that you have mentioned. all my batteries never last much more than a year. :( started with a bosch, then yokohama, then the 7 month life delkor)...

side note, my light bulbs are also dying premature. have changed all the lights in my car at least 2 times in the last few years. normal kah??

ah lian;520052 said:
i am not sure, but i need help to check out (eliminate) some of the causes that you have mentioned. all my batteries never last much more than a year. :( started with a bosch, then yokohama, then the 7 month life delkor)...

side note, my light bulbs are also dying premature. have changed all the lights in my car at least 2 times in the last few years. normal kah??

See note 4 : Overcharging.

If your bulbs are also going very fast, the voltage regulator is faulty.

check the voltage when the engine is rev to about 2.5K rpm. It should not be more than 14.3V.

Alternatively, you can buy the cheapo battery voltage from accessory shop. It can be plug into the ciggie lighter outlet. The indicator would have LED to show the condition.
2007_Kuryakyn_LED_Battery_Gauge.jpg

initialM;520267 said:
Unker J,

I think I need you to 'mandi bunga' my car lar:listen:

i can do it with you in the car... then can mandi together at the auto spa :rolleyes:

can invite 535i also.. more fun with the 'buih' :smokin:

pussy;520289 said:
i can do it with you in the car... then can mandi together at the auto spa :rolleyes:

can invite 535i also.. more fun with the 'buih' :smokin:

Yup threesome would be awesome but if can invite Lamsing for foursome would be fabulous:cool:

initialM;520267 said:
Unker J,

I think I need you to 'mandi bunga' my car lar:listen:

I thought you already mandi bunga yoyr car when you have the central locking problem.

jarance;520346 said:
I thought you already mandi bunga yoyr car when you have the central locking problem.

(off topic)
jarance... this fellow if got chance, will mandi bunga many times...

cabuz...

Very celaka laa u Meow ..

My brand new battery now kong .. (just changed last week) ..

Unker J - i'll call u aaa for help .. U can poke your voltmeter anywhere u want ..
I relaaaaa ..... :thefinger:

535i;520445 said:

Unker J - i'll call u aaa for help .. U can poke your voltmeter anywhere u want ..

You can call me any time lah.. :rock:

guys, come back to the topic. do you think the central locking can cause the leaking? my driver side door lock seem to have difficult to unlock. sometime even after pressing got no respone. need to repeat the step only the door unlock.

sewell;520459 said:
guys, come back to the topic. do you think the central locking can cause the leaking? my driver side door lock seem to have difficult to unlock. sometime even after pressing got no respone. need to repeat the step only the door unlock.

This one also way off topic..

No. I dont think the difficulty in unlocking your door have anything to do with leakage or draining of the battery.
You have instead another problem with the GM5 module which control the central locking system.

However, the central locking system and alarm is always ON but the power consumption is relatively low when it on "standby mode"

535i;520445 said:

hahaha now we can really do threesome:smokin:

Thank you for the donuts

Dear all member,

I do have a very good brand to recomend to you all if you guys face battery's problem.
Kindly visit below website
[/url] http://www.amaron.in

the problem is this battery is now only can get from johor bahru, kl dont know yet.

serene;520614 said:
Dear all member,

I do have a very good brand to recomend to you all if you guys face battery's problem.
Kindly visit below website
[/url] http://www.amaron.in

the problem is this battery is now only can get from johor bahru, kl dont know yet.

U are from Pitworks Motorsport?

Top Bottom